Lunch at McDonald's.....WOW.

Options

Replies

• Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    1. There are times really in social settings we have little to no choice.
    2. There are times when we may be a bit over our calorie count for one day -- it is OK... We can either make it up another day or have it banked from a day prior. The key is not to make it a habit.
    3. When I go to Mickey - D's, I opt for the grilled chicken and can usually get it under my caloric needs for the day... Not too bad and much more feasible than the Angus Beef I USED to opt for.
    4. Hmmm, I wish our energy for our cars were that cheap --- Almost 3 calories per penny....
    5. Calories really are not bad. We need to get that out of our thinking (within reason)... Our dietary lifestyle is an economy... We need to have outflow for the input... dead even (on average) for weight maintenance and for reduction.... more outflow. We can increase exercise and accomplish our overall goal. That being said... sometimes, we will be over our allotment. That is OK. It is only one day. It is when it becomes a LIFESTYLE that it becomes a real issue.

Here here!! :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    An egg mcmuffin has only 350 calories and just the right amounts of protien, etc.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    .....but I didn't have a choice. .

nonsense

Well......my choice was either eat at mcdonald's around lunchtime....or not eat until 9pm. Glad I chose to eat. Could have made better choices AT mcdonald's though.

Wish it were a law to post nutritional values (never saw any posted in KS, OK, MO)......flyer on the trays were blank on the back.

I ate well the rest of the day. So it's not a big deal.

It's a federal law if you're in the states...

Not all states. Heck. Not MOST states.

If they are a part of the United States of America, then yes. IT IS. It's a federal freaking law. FEDERAL=all 50 states and the territories...

http://www.restaurantlawonline.com/federal-nutrition-disclosure-law-what-you-need-to-know/

I do believe McDonald's has more than 20 locations all running with the name "MCDONALD'S," yes?
  • Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to their menu's nutrition...:drinker:
    http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/food_quality/nutrition_choices.html
  • AmandaBroun
    AmandaBroun Posts: 126
    Options
    I actually really like their chicken salads, and they are pretty good calorie-wise if you watch how much dressing you use. I'm sad they got rid of the Asian one - I didn't even need any dressing on it and it was tasty.
  • tallnsexy
    tallnsexy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mc donald's is every dieter's (if that's real word, lol) nightmare. It's cheap, it's everywhere and it never closes. And if you got kids I'll have to pray you can make it past one without stopping
  • hiswifetheirmommy
    hiswifetheirmommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of decent choices at McDonald's! For 480 calories you can have a regular hamburger and small order of fries and a Diet Coke or Coke Zero. The honey mustard snack wrap is only 250 calories and their grilled chicken bacon ranch salad is only 290 if you ask for it with the light italian dressing instead of ranch. Also, their nutrition info should be on the back of the papers that line the tray. I always try to preplan my days using MFP before I go out. That way I know exactly what kind of damage I'm about to do. :o)
  • snowbaby36
    snowbaby36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I am on the road, a fruit and yogurt parfait and an unsweetened iced tea from McD's is my go-to breakfast or snack. Its only 160 calories and is semi healthy. If I have to eat a meal there, I do what others mention and get a grilled chicken snack wrap and apples, or if I want to splurge, get a cheeseburger and small fries. Its really not the end of the world as others in this thread would have you think. :tongue:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    nutritional info is available online. plan ahead if you have to - or just do some research and know what you can get at various restaurants. I just avoid fast food altogether, and keep protein bars in my purse.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch from McDonald's usually once a week. In fact that's today...........................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

It's a federal law if you're in the states...

Not all states. Heck. Not MOST states.

If they are a part of the United States of America, then yes. IT IS. It's a federal freaking law. FEDERAL=all 50 states and the territories...

http://www.restaurantlawonline.com/federal-nutrition-disclosure-law-what-you-need-to-know/

I do believe McDonald's has more than 20 locations all running with the name "MCDONALD'S," yes?

No need to be rude. Yes, there was a law passed requiring the FDA to create menu-labeling regulations. BUT the FDA has not finalized those regulations yet. So no, the counts aren't necessarily posted in states that don't have their own labeling rules.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/FDATrack/track-proj?program=healthcare-reform&id=ACA-4205-Implementation
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if someone has already said this:

I used to work at a fast food place and you can request just about any sandwich anyway you want. A healthy alternative is to ask for them to remove the bun and wrap the sandwich with lettuce instead. Add some veggies on it and then get a side salad or apples. Yummy :D

Sometimes you can't help going to a fast food restaurant (happens a lot when my coworkers are going to lunch and I get out voted on where to eat). Don't be afraid to ask for substitutions to your favorites. :smile:
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    taking the kiddos there today...I always get the... grilled chicken bacon ranch salad and take my own balsamic vinegar dressing and its under 350 calories:)
  • MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I go to McDonalds about once a week. I get the Grilled Chicken Southwest salad. I take it just the way it comes with the Southwest dressing. you can ask them to take off the chips and the cheese if you want to lower the calories and the fat.
    It is AWESOME! I feel like I am cheating my diet when I eat it. It also fills me up for the rest of the evening.

Here are the stats for the way it comes.
    390 Calories
    28 grams protein
    14 grams fat
    39 carbs
  • angiedeluxe
    Options
    Last time I had McDonald's was about 3 years ago. I got the grilled chicken - I can't believe nobody else has pointed this out, but the chicken didn't taste like chicken at all. It was SWEET. Disgusting!
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The Premium Caesar Salad (without chicken) with low fat italian dressing isn't that much. Its 90 for the salad itself (which is pretty filling).
    The Newman's Own® Low Fat Family Recipe Italian Dressing is only 50 calories and it has a little peppery kick to it.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    You didn't have a choice? Umm yup, you did. I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm sure lots of people have said this.. but you ALWAYS have a choice.

That said, one 900-calorie McDonald's meal isn't gonna kill ya. I haven't touched fast food in years because after I eat it I feel like I've been poisoned... but for those who can stomach it, it's not the end of the world.
  • Alisi1234
    Alisi1234 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I always get the grilled spicy thai salad, no dressing and no croutons. It is only 180 calories!! And delish!!!!!
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    I had McD's last night for dinner because I was out and about and got real hungry. That's why I LOVE the app. I can type in the restaurant and see what they have and decide what I want and will fit in my plan. I had enough calories to allow for a Quarter Pounder with Cheese (which is usually what I get anyway) and a small fry and water. They actually gave me a medium fry (I was in the drive through and didn't check before I drove away) so that is what I logged even though it put me over but I didn't eat them all.
  • If you have a smart phone, the MFP app, has all kinds of nutritional info on McDonald's, just type in McDonald's into the search bar. If you don't have a smart phone, what are ya waiting for. lol