Half-marathon in two weeks – what to do now

Options
mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
How can I use the remaining time to increase my chances when I attempt half-marathon on 3/24/12?

Started running from non-running in May 2011.

First 5K was on 9/18/11 (time 32:22, average 10:12 minutes per mile)
Second 5K was on 11/13/11 (time 29.33 minutes, average 9.31 minutes per mile)
Third 5K was 3/04/12 (time 28:28, average 9:11 minutes per mile).

Currently, I run three times a week. The first two runs are 3 miles each; the third one is 5 miles.
I had two longer (don’t laugh please) runs already.

On 1/28/12 my long run was 6.98 miles (time 1:12:43, pace 10:25 min/mile) and on 2/04/12 I ran 8.80 miles (1:43:36, pace 10:45 minutes per mile).

I was going to keep increasing the longer runs distance, but decided to keep it to 5 miles only in preparation for my third 5K race, that I ran three days ago.

Now having completed my third 5K my dreams prompted me to sign up for the half-marathon on 3/24/12.

So how can I use the remaining time to increase my chances when I attempt half-marathon?

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you longest run ever is just shy of nine miles. i have no doubt you can finish the half marathon, but you will be sore for a few days after.

i wouldn't go too nuts these next two weeks. in fact, i would only do one more longer run this week (say, 9.5 miles) and keep the rest of the runs under 6 miles.

now that i think about it, try a pyramid. run 3 miles one day, 5 the next, 7 the next, 9.5, then 7, then 5, then 3. give yourself at least two days of total rest before the race.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, you don't want to do too much in the next two weeks - most programs have you tapering about now.

If it was me (though I'm no expert!) I would plan a long run for this coming weekend - seeing as you've already run almost 9 miles, I'd go for 10-11 miles. After that, stick with your regular routine of 3 -5 miles during the week, shorter ones as you get closer to the race.

Use this next long run as a practice (if you haven't already done this on your other long runs, do it now) - try out the clothes you want to wear and maybe test out some gel or snacks (I like jelly beans) at about 6 and 8 miles and work out when and how much you like to drink.

I would keep your long run slow - if you haven't done the distance before then I think it's better to cover the miles and not worry about the speed - maybe aim for 11 min miles for your long run and see how that works out for you.

Good luck!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Increase your chances of what? Winning or just finishing? I think you should be able to finish just fine with the training you have now. I trained for and completed a full marathon and my longest run before the big day was only about 12 miles I think. If you are looking to just finish keep doing what you are doing but increase your distance by maybe a couple of miles for the time that you have left. Don't run at all for a few days before. Then just push yourself that extra distance on the big day. That's what I would do. Not much time, but you can do it! Good luck!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I ran a full marathon in 2007. My usual run was about 10 k. 5 times a week. once a week I would run about 20k. Before the marathon the most I had run was about 25k.

The two weeks before my run I alternated my 10k run with speed drills and "fun sports" like rollerblading, swimming and football (or soccer or whatever we want to call it). The three days before the run the most I did was jog about 5k. My best friend came from the US to run it with me and we went to Berlin and I showed her around Hamburg and we kinda partied it up a bit.

I finished the run in 5 hours. My goal wasn't to qualify for Boston or Chicago or anything, just to finish it so I was pretty happy with the time. I was far from first but I wasn't last either and that was all I really wanted out of the day.

Oh, before I started training for the marathon and actually about a month or two into training for the marathon I HATED running. I met my friend (same one that ran the Hamburg marathon with me) in Athens to cheer her on at that marathon. Her and all her marathon buddies tried to get me to start training. I said "no, no, no. There is no way I can run 42 kilometers at one go. I hate running, I could barely pass the 1 mile run in PE in high school, what makes anyone think I can make it through 26.2 miles" After I came back I thought. Who am I to tell myself "I Can't" and I started running. Before I knew it my hands had signed me up for a marathon without consulting my brain. I trained for 6 months, 6 months took me from hating running an out of shape, pushing 200 lbs 5'7" woman to a marathon running, fit, 145lb woman.

Then I thought "great you did it, now go eat a cheese burger" Returned to old habits gained all the weight and then some back and found myself here nearly 5 years later....:grumble: :noway: :sad:
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I remember reading this somewhere when talking about the taper before a race so I'll paraphrase - there's not much more you can do to improve your race performance and a whole lot of things you can do to hurt it.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I did my first half marathon about 10 years ago on the back of a longest run of 10kms. I can tell you this is NOT ideal. Now that I am older and wiser, my long run each week is generally around 22kms or the 2 hour mark. This is what I have found works best for me. I maintain my half marathon fitness most of the time and if I do fourth full marathon, I will train appropriately for that.

I am sure you can complete this half marathon later this month. My advice is to do one more long run (about 10 miles) this weekend and from there your last long run should only be 6 - 7 miles. Do not go into this half with any time expectations and make sure you pace yourself, particularly at the start. You need to respect the distance because it is still a challenge. Expect to be sore for a couple of days afterwards, and next time, get yourself a training plan off the net. It will help you to be better prepared.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Donna
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Are you following a training plan? What does it recommend? I'd normally say you should be tapering now, but I'm surprised to see Hal Higdon's novice plan 2 only has a one-week taper with your longest run or 12 miles the week before. Here's the last three weeks:

Rest 3 m run 5 m pace 3 m run Rest 11 m run cross
    Rest 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 12 m run cross
    Rest 3 m run 2 m pace 2 m run Rest Rest Half Marathon

Link here, there's five to choose from, I went for Novice 2 as it's the simplest:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

Do that last long run slow and take the shorter runs easy - no speed work, hills, intervals or heavy lifting. Stretch a lot. Injury prevention is key at this stage. Up your calories to at least maintenance. No need to carbo-load, but if you've been skipping them go back to at least 50% of cals from carbs.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm running up to 15km (9 miles) at the moment (about 90mins). While this doesnt present a problem overall and i could see myself doing 13 miles, some things change. A bit of chaffing in the shorts (not nice) hot spots in my shoes, dehydration are all becoming issues I will have to deal with if i want to keep running.

So in addition to the advice above I'd do a rehearsal of the time you expect to take - maybe try 10 miles and walk the rest - just to see how it feels to be out for the extra time and that your kit stays comfortable and what you need to drink etc.

And good luck.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Donna and jturnerx posts were spot on. Only thing I would add is hydreate well 3 to 4 days before the half.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Wow - awesome advice. I could have written the OP's post. My first 1/2 is in about 50 days and my longest run so far is 8.7 miles. I was planning to shoot for 10.8 this weekend (odd #, yes, its the trail I use). I was also thinking of doing some sprint interval training at some point.

Good Luck!!!
  • DistortedButterfly
    DistortedButterfly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would work up your longer run to be about 10-11 miles, then make sure you get good rest days too so like a long run day (11mile) then a recovery day (4 light miles) then day off then 4 light miles then do your long run again (and maybe a go a little faster each time)

:)
  • mrk34
    Options
    Thank you all so much. You gave me great advices and your responses increased my confidence that it may work.

Finishing half-marathon will be a great achievement for me. My objective is to just finish it. I don’t follow any specific training plan. I do what I posted.

To tell you the truth I expected “Don’t do it, stupid” kind of responses. To my surprise, you all believe that it is doable.

Will it be beneficial to increase the short runs to let’s say 5 miles as well while doing the longer one or not to increase the short ones and concentrate on the longer one only?

Some of you warned about being sore for a few days. Will I be able to drive a car after the race?
  • laz22girl
    laz22girl Posts: 47
    Options
    I'd do one more long run this weekend...do 10-11 miles. Then next weekend taper (5-7 miles). Then the half marathon.

Good luck!

I'm doing my second half next weekend.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No point increasing the load this close to your half marathon - you'll just end up tired on the day. Repeat last week's training and then ease up week before the event.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You really only need a week to taper for a half marathon. I would suggest you get in a long run this weekend and next weekend. Maybe 9 this weekend and 10 next weekend. The week before the half marathon, I give myself 2 days of rest. The other days, I run about 3 miles.

I have a half coming up next weekend and this weekend I am getting in 12 miles. Next week I will only run Tuesday (3 miles) and Wednesday (3 miles) then rest Thursday and Friday for my Saturday half. I can't wait.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You can most likely drive after. The tough part comes from climbing out of your car after you get home!! it might not be a bad idea to take an ice bath when you get home. (I love these for recovery. If you decide you want to try one, I've got some good lessons learned. So, just ask.)

If I were you, I wouldn't do more than 10 this weekend and then taper off. There isn't much you can do now to improve. But having run 9 miles, I think you'll be fine. Just go much much slower than you feel you need to the first 1-2 miles. Consider it a warm-up. Then you can judge how you feel and crank out another 11.

Good Luck!!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I did my first half last year. I had only run 5ks before and really started running in May of last year. The half was in October. I did Hal Higedon's novice program and had gotten up to 8 miles (you only go to 10 miles) and injured my hip flexor in an adventure race. I didn't run for 2 weeks up to the race and was SUPER freaked out I wouldn't finish since my longest run was only 8 miles. I kept it at a really slow pace in the beginning (11 min miles) and finished in 2:13. I met my 2 goals, 1 to finish, 2 to run the whole time. The only thing sore on me was my arms, since on all my short runs I pushed my kids in the double stoller, so my arms weren't use to swinging for that long, ha.

I totally believe you can do it.! Just go into it with the mindset that you just want to finish. That is a huge accomplishment in itself. Really try not to get hung up on time. I only checked mine to make sure I wasn't going to fast in the beginning.

Happy Running!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon this past January after starting to run for the first time every in April. My training plan had me running 11 miles two weeks before the race and then only 6 miles three days per week for the two weeks before. I had a blast during that run and wasn't sore at all that day or the next, just a little stiff which I fixed by stretching.

I have another half marathon on the 25th. I have had some health issues between my last half and now so I haven't run very much to this point. I did 10 miles two weekends ago (6 on Saturday and a 4 mile race on Sunday) and some 6 mile runs between then and now. Unless at my doctor appointment today I'm told not to run (please no!) I have a 15K race this Sunday and that is probably going to have to suffice for my long run before the 25th. My plan on half marathon race day is just to take more walk breaks than normal. I know that that is all it'll take for me to be able to finish without injury or being too sore. I offer that same advice to you.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Thank you all so much. You gave me great advices and your responses increased my confidence that it may work.

Finishing half-marathon will be a great achievement for me. My objective is to just finish it. I don’t follow any specific training plan. I do what I posted.

To tell you the truth I expected “Don’t do it, stupid” kind of responses. To my surprise, you all believe that it is doable.

Will it be beneficial to increase the short runs to let’s say 5 miles as well while doing the longer one or not to increase the short ones and concentrate on the longer one only?

Some of you warned about being sore for a few days. Will I be able to drive a car after the race?

Since your volume is low and your longest run is less than 9 miles, you are probably going to be out of gas and hurting the last couple miles of your half.

My recommendation, and probably an unpopular one is to run an 11 mile long run this weekend. I think that long run will help you more than any additional short runs will at this point.
  • mrk34
    Options
    Spoke to a person who wrote a book on running and explained to him my dilemma of what to do next two weeks before I attempt half-marathon on 3/24/12.

He advised me to try to cover the whole 13.1 miles distance this Saturday.