Half-marathon in two weeks – what to do now

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Spoke to a person who wrote a book on running and explained to him my dilemma of what to do next two weeks before I attempt half-marathon on 3/24/12.

He advised me to try to cover the whole 13.1 miles distance this Saturday.
    Great to get expert advice, and you'll still have two weeks to taper afterwards. Do it at a nice, steady recovery run speed, don't attempt to do it at race pace, that can wait until the day itself, and you'll have the confidence of knowing you can cover the distance.

Good luck and let us know how it goes this weekend!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    All great advice. I'm no expert but I can share my experience. When I did my first one the longest run I had completed was just under 7 miles, and I was able to finish. The last 3 miles were horrible, but after about an hour of resting I was able to drive back home from Atlantic City, (about 2 hours away).. I spent most of the rest of the day in bed but at least I got home lol. I just finished my 2nd half a couple weeks ago and was much better prepared, having followed Hal Higdon's novice 1 plan, and having my longest run at 10 miles. I felt much more comfortable all around, with speed, hydration, everything. I was def sore at the end, but was able to knock over 4 minutes off my previous time. I'm sure you'll have no problem. Make sure to get those rest days in, and just go out there and enjoy yourself!!
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I believe that my situation has two aspects. In normal circumstances the benefit of completing the whole distance, at least once prior to the official race, would be beneficial. It would be the case if I were in normal training situation.

Since the situation is not normal, because I rushed my half-marathon sign-up pretty much, I am going to consider other very important elements that you, experienced runners pointed my attention to. If I understand you correctly, increasing my long run this week to 13.1 miles is risky and may bring negative consequences to me. I may sustain injury because of the long run distance increase within a week from 5 miles to 13.1 miles.

Therefore it is smart to schedule 10-11 miles (and not attempting 13.1) run this Saturday. This will give a little benefit of a longer run and at the same time will minimize the possibility of injury. The choice is then simple and logical, and reason must prevail. I don’t want to jeopardize my chances of successfully completing the half-marathon in two weeks by sustaining an injury or being extremely exhausted this Saturday.

Thank you all very much for sharing your wisdom, and sometimes tough love with me. I intend to listen to you while running my long run this Saturday.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think with 10-11 miles this weekend you'll do just fine. 11 was my longest before my half marathon. I also think that if you schedule a couple of short walk breaks during the actual race that you'll do even better. Pick a few mileage points and stop to walk even if you don't really think you need them. They'll make a difference at the end. You may also find that you actually complete it faster with those breaks. I know that my time doesn't suffer at all because when I'm rested I can run a little faster and my walk pace isn't THAT much slower than my running pace.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that you need to complete the whole distance prior to the race. My longest run before my first half was only about 9 miles and I did fine and was not really terribly sore afterwards or the next day. You sound more than ready to accomplish it. Good luck. Great advice you've been given by everyone else. Just wanted to put my two cents in. :) I am running my third half this coming Sunday. I want to try to join the ranks of the Half Fanatics.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I believe that my situation has two aspects. In normal circumstances the benefit of completing the whole distance, at least once prior to the official race, would be beneficial. It would be the case if I were in normal training situation.

Since the situation is not normal, because I rushed my half-marathon sign-up pretty much, I am going to consider other very important elements that you, experienced runners pointed my attention to. If I understand you correctly, increasing my long run this week to 13.1 miles is risky and may bring negative consequences to me. I may sustain injury because of the long run distance increase within a week from 5 miles to 13.1 miles.

Therefore it is smart to schedule 10-11 miles (and not attempting 13.1) run this Saturday. This will give a little benefit of a longer run and at the same time will minimize the possibility of injury. The choice is then simple and logical, and reason must prevail. I don’t want to jeopardize my chances of successfully completing the half-marathon in two weeks by sustaining an injury or being extremely exhausted this Saturday.

Thank you all very much for sharing your wisdom, and sometimes tough love with me. I intend to listen to you while running my long run this Saturday.

If you have a high training volume, then your longest run distances aren't so important. Its when your volume is low that the long runs are critical, because that's where the majority of your training adaptations for a half marathon distance come from.

I wouldn't worry too much about being exhausted or injured unless you have a pre-existing condition. Two weeks is plenty of time to recover from a long run. Heck I just ran 16 miles on Sunday faster than my projected marathon pace, and felt fine the next day.
  • mrk34
    Options
    I ran without stopping for two hours on my long run day today.

Distance 10.78 miles, time 2:04:49, and average pace 11:35 min/mile.

This is the longest distance of non-stop running in my life.

I believe that half-marathon will be within my reach on 3/24/12.

Thank you all for advice and words of encouragement.

I wonder what usually happens between mile 11 and 13.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Excellent, you'll manage it no problem. Great time too!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You'll be tired and still have two miles to go. That's when it's time to zip up the man suit and be mentally tough. You'll do great.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    You'll be tired and still have two miles to go. That's when it's time to zip up the man suit and be mentally tough. You'll do great.
    I love this answer!
  • mrk34
    Options
    I considered all recommendations and ended up with running 10.78 miles, time 2:04:49, and average pace 11:35 min/mile last Saturday. It hurt a little on Saturday, but it stopped hurting on Sunday. Unless I experience something new tomorrow I believe that I am OK.

What is my next step?

Should I do my 3 miles twice a week and 5 miles this Saturday and then twice 3 miles next week?

My half will be on 3/24/12.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I considered all recommendations and ended up with running 10.78 miles, time 2:04:49, and average pace 11:35 min/mile last Saturday. It hurt a little on Saturday, but it stopped hurting on Sunday. Unless I experience something new tomorrow I believe that I am OK.

What is my next step?

Should I do my 3 miles twice a week and 5 miles this Saturday and then twice 3 miles next week?

My half will be on 3/24/12.

I would run more than 5 this weekend. The Hal Higdon novice plans have people running at least 10 the week before the race. Its hard to give good advice when your volume is so low. Take a look below.

http://halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • mrk34
    Options
    I ended up with running my second 3 mile run on today - Friday.

Saturday is my usual long run day. I can’t do it on Sunday.

Considering that there will be no rest day between today and tomorrow, what distance should I run tomorrow – 7 days before attempting half-marathon?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I remember reading this somewhere when talking about the taper before a race so I'll paraphrase - there's not much more you can do to improve your race performance and a whole lot of things you can do to hurt it.

every beginner's half marathon plan I've seen has the runner tapering off 2 to at least 3 weeks prior to the race. Push it now and you risk injury. I'm currently training for my 2nd half and my last "long" run prior to my race will be about 2 weeks before, and only about 6-7 miles--the rest of my build up (to 11 miles) is all being done in the next 6 weeks before I start tapering off.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I ran without stopping for two hours on my long run day today.

Distance 10.78 miles, time 2:04:49, and average pace 11:35 min/mile.

This is the longest distance of non-stop running in my life.

I believe that half-marathon will be within my reach on 3/24/12.

Thank you all for advice and words of encouragement.

Good job on your long run! As for what happens between mile 11 and 13: You'll be amazed at what your body can do when you push it past your comfort zone, and past that longest training run. This was me doing my first half marathon last fall:

Me: Oh wow, there's the 10 mile marker...yay, they're giving out Gu (energy gel chewy things). Good thing, cause I already took mine at mile 8.

Me: at mile 11...ohmygod...legs are exhausted...but...whoa...I only have 2 miles left (omg when did I realize that I can EASILY do two miles?) Great song on my iPod: "Eye of the Tiger" keeps me going and going...

Me: at mile 11.5...darn, a short but steep hill...ouch...time to focus...almost there... (I only went to 11.5 miles in training runs and my last training run went horribly, so like you I was nervous about how that last 1.5 miles would go)

Me: mile 12.5...OMG...I can hear the crowd cheering on the runners as they finish, how cool! ooo a long slow downhill...YES! I can do this! Ohmygod I'm gonna finish...(looking over at the guy who has been on pace with me for the past mile..."hey! is this your first half ?" he says "yep." "Race ya to the finish!" We sprint like fools over the finish line...high five each other like long lost friends...scream "We did it!" and attempt to high five again but we're too clumsy and tired to actually connect palms. LOL.

Me: 13.1 miles...ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod (tears)

about 10 minutes later after walking around, eating my banana, drinking more water, admiring my finisher's medal...I stopped to rest next to the medical tent and my calves cramped up so badly I literally could not move. For like...10 minutes...and then I was fine.

Best experience of my life. :heart:
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I ran my first half, I focused strictly on my HR and not pace. I knew that I could maintain the distance as long as I stayed around 160-170 on my HRM. My longest run prior to doing the half was 10.5 miles a week prior to race-day. I was average 10:40 pace on that training run with average 175 HR. Race day I did an average 10:10 pace (2:13:48 finish) with average 172 HR. I remember the hardest mile was mile 9...it was about 1/2 mile uphill, which really hurt!!! The rest of the course was fairly flat, which was nice! :) Once you hit mile 10, the adrenaline kicks in and you push yourself to finish strong!

I had a plan to hit some Gu energy gel at mile 6 and 9. I don't know if it is mental, physical or both, but the gel seemed to give me some boost.

One thing I like to do on long races is to look for "photobomb" opportunities. There are usually plenty of professional photographers taking photos of racers throughout the course. I struck a few poses for the camera (zombie-runner, funny-face, etc.). This seemed to keep my mind off the run and give me a little motivation and self-amusement. :)
  • mrk34
    Options
    Thank you for recommendations and sharing your experience. Your info is very valuable to me.

I ran 7 mile this morning as you recommended. Distance 7.16 mile, time 1:20:16, pace 11:13.

I guess my next step is 3 mile on Tuesday, 3 mile on Thursday, and then half-marathon attempt on Saturday.

Any other recommendations?
  • Elzecat
    Options
    eat lots of carbs this week and hydrate really well ;) Besides your two short runs, get lots of sleep!

Good luck!!!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Thank you for recommendations and sharing your experience. Your info is very valuable to me.

I ran 7 mile this morning as you recommended. Distance 7.16 mile, time 1:20:16, pace 11:13.

I guess my next step is 3 mile on Tuesday, 3 mile on Thursday, and then half-marathon attempt on Saturday.

Any other recommendations?
    Eat more carbs than usual this week but don't overdo it on Friday. If you really carb load the day before a race, you'll carb UNload during the race, if you get my drift. Eat lightly on Friday night. Stick to simpler carbs and stuff that is easily digested. Definitely drink lots of water this week so you're well hydrated but don't drink a lot Saturday morning before the race. Lay out all of your running stuff the night before so you have everything in one place. Check the course information to see how the water stations are spaced. If you feel like it might not be enough water for you, bring a bottle of your own. I always have one bottle on my belt and this has saved me in the past when the stations were 2 miles apart and/or they ran out of cups. Leave in plenty of time so you're not rushed getting to the race, especially if it's somewhere you haven't been before. Most of all, have fun!
  • mrk34
    Options
    I used my two weeks before the half-marathon day in the following way.

On 3/10/12 I ran long run on 10:78 miles in 2:04:49 time, pace11:35

Then two short runs:

3/14/12 3.29 miles, time 33:28, pace 10:10
    3/16/123.20 miles, 33:15, pace 10:24

One longer one on 3/17/12 - 7:16 miles, time 1:20:16, pace 11:13

Again, two short ones:

3/20/12 3.41 miles, 35:00, pace 10:15
    3/22/12 3.23 miles, time 35:39, pace 11:03

Running my short runs slower than normal felt weird. I had to stay focused to make sure that I wouldn’t increase to my average 9:00-9:30 minutes speed. But by doing so I experienced something that I will call “a conscious run” and became smarter about running.

Thank you all for advice, support and feedback you gave me. I read with great interest about your that some of you decided to share with me. I will use all the knowledge I gained during the last two weeks, when I will try to complete the 13.1 miles distance on 3/24/12.

I am picking the bib tomorrow, and I guess I am ready. I believe that half-marathon is within my reach but I am fully aware that the run can end up either way for me.

Thank you all again. I learned a lot from you.