Your FAVE Book?

Options
124»

Replies

• Zsquared
    Zsquared Posts: 54
    Options
    Anything by Janet Evonavich, JD Robb, or Jenifer Weiner. They are all light easy reads and keep me entertained. I too just finished the Hunger Games & loved them. Have a fantastic trip!
  • shydal
    shydal Posts: 16
    Options
    Easy, fun mystery that is better than your average mysteries are the: No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

It is set in Botswana; the characters are charming and often hilarious. It's just fantastic, enjoyable, and good travel-on the go series.

Also, if you're into travelling: 127 Hrs (yes, the dude who cut off his arm); and Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks (anything by him will be amusing yet thoughtful).
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I could give you a million suggestions - but when people say they "read a bit of everything" that tends not to be entirely true.

Visit my book blog - I read, review, and recommend books for a living! Hopefully you'll find something that interests you:
    http://roofbeamreader.net
  • Lucendiluna
    Lucendiluna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the books suggested! The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, the Millenium trilogy, The Help, the Terry Pratchett books, Steinbeck, also Franck McCourt, Ian McEwan...

I can't believe no one talked about The Name of the Wind, or the sequel The Wise Man's Fear (http://www.amazon.com/Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicles-Day/dp/075640407X), i highly recommend them!

Also recommended, goodreads.com, especially if you read a lot and want to keep track of all these books. They will also give you recommendations based on what you read and liked before!
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone!! I have read Harry Potter a dozen times (my #1 fave series!) and Huger Games is a super close second to that! =] I am definitely going to be adding some of these to my to read list! I'm also already a member of goodreads! Great site!
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bridges of Madison County
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My favorite book is and will always be Crime and Punishment.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Honolulu
    The Tattoo
    Queen of Tears
    Kindness of Strangers
    The giver
    Les Miserables
    The Historian
    Pride and Prejudice
    Three Musketeers

I love the JD Rodd series for light reads
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hand-Maid's Tale- Margaret Atwood - What would happen if the US became a fundamentalist state? Written in the 80's, scarily relevant today.

This one was an interesting read. I didnt care for the ending though. Scary to think how human nature is when you put power into the wrong hands.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite book is "The Stand" by Stephen King. But- for fun and easy reads I'd go for Sookie Stackhouse or Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy, Succubus (Georgina Kinkaid series). I loved the first two books of the Hunger Games, too. :)
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The Dark Elf Saga by RA Salvatore is awesome. If you decide to check out ENTIRE 20+ book series, then start with the Icewind Dale Trilogy (part 4, 5, and 6)....then to the Dark Elf Trilogy (part 1, 2, and 3)....then pick up the series from there.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Recent reads that I liked:

The Hunger Games
    War of the Worlds
    Brave New World
  • maglodee
    maglodee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Most recently, I read "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson, and it was amazing! Highly recommended.

I also like any title by Mitch Albom, my most favourite called "The Five People You Meet in Heaven".
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Favorite book EVER (ever, ever, ever, ever!): All Quiet on the Western Front. In the 12 years that that has been the case, I have read it I don't know how many times, and accumulated seven copies of it (right one audio but still), in four different languages. :bigsmile: It is so, so beautiful.

Honorable mentions: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (actually, all of the first three books of the Hitchhiker's Trilogy.), 1984, George Orwell's Essays, The Pianist (though as it's a vacation, you don't want to be depressed to the point of numbness, I suppose, but read it some other time), The Great Escape!! This is one of the only books I've ever stayed up all night reading, and I'd already seen the movie at that point, Colditz (more stories of POW escapes from one particular camp), and The Flame Keepers (I cried at the end of this one, another WWII POW memoir), My Family and Other Animals (absolutely hilarious memoir of someone growing up in Greece and the animals he collects in, what, the 1950s? Not sure, that's not important.). Righteous Indignation is another good one if you want something political. And last but not least, if you have seen the Princess Bride movie, but not read the book, read the book, it's fantastic!!! Also, if you can get it, Lessons from the Land of Pork Scratchings by Greg Gutfeld, about his time in the UK as an American. I read it during my time in the UK as an American and it is so true, I LOLed. ;);)

ETA OH! This one is pretty short, so it doesn't quite qualify as a book, but if you get the chance, read through John Smith's "Map of Virginia," it's pretty much first impressions of what would later become the USA, and it is so fun to read because you can literally read through all these amazing, remarkable things he's describing and go "oh, that's a raccoon!" "Persimmons, lol." etcetera.
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    I get all of my new read ideas from Goodreads. It is one of my favorite sites! I am currently reading The Tiger's Curse. It is pretty good.
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    I love anything by Tess Gerritsen. She is a fantastic writer... I recommend reading the Rizzoli and Isles series in order. Great books!

I will second this as well! She is one of my favorite authors! I have a signed book from her too! I couldn't put the Rizzoli and Isles series down!