My DELEATED post from yesterday just because I thanked a cer

Options
12346»

Replies

• andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I just think this should be a place where people support each other. I read the thread and thought it was a bit overly religious for my taste but then moved along. If it goes against the guidelines then it goes against the guidelines. No need to post another thread about not knowing about the guidelines and never posting again. I don't think anyone should post about their religious views or any other content that might offend others. I'm glad you are doing well in your weight loss achievements but Thanking God a million times in a thread that is viewable to people from all walks of life may not be the best place. :) Good luck with your journey!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Josh. PRAISE JESUS. This community is a joke. I found that out the hard way yesterday when random people started attacking me telling me that what I wrote was false, which wasn't the case. I just backed away, it wasn't worth it. Yes, most of the stuff on here is offensive, definitely not something Jesus would want to read/see. I'm going to try to stay away also, I only came to read this because you are on my friends list and I saw you posted it.

Again, congrats to you for losing 15lbs, yay! That is fantastic! Keep it up and keep praising HIM, because without HIM nothing is possible.

Oh, you...

STOP IT BRON!!! :laugh:
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As far as I care you can thank who you like but if it was me I'd thank myself for having the guts to be strong and maintain my willpower and do *all* of the work needed. Just sayin! :P
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I think that is crazy. I'm so sorry that happened. You weren't preaching that everyone had to thank JC you were simply thanking what worked for you!!!

This sight is getting annoying between the Snarky responses and stupid trolls starting problems.

Let people do what they do...what's with all the f'n negative comments and rules. If I don't like that you're thanking Jesus, I move on to whatever DOES interest me...wtf?
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    cains-train-wreck.jpg

^^This^^
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Well, now that I understand the context, Meredith: I nominate MFP!

Way to go, MFP.

I know right!!!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I love Jesus and I completely give Him the credit for being able to do what I haven't been able to do before. I also credit HIm for inspiring a friend to recommend this site, which has been incredibly helpful. I have every hope that He will give me the strength to continue.
    I also understand that the operators of this site have every right to decide what stays here and what goes, even if I don't agree with their choices. I really try to follow the rules, but sometimes I feel "called out", as if to not speak out is to somehow deny my faith. If the moderators choose to delete me or reprimand me (I haven't been reprimanded yet, and I don't know if I have been deleted, though entire posts I've responded to have been), I consider it the price I pay for being unable to follow the rules.
    I wish continued success to the OP, who has done a great job so far.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how adults survive in a world full of rules they don't like just by ignoring them.
    And then getting angry for suffering the consequences? It sounds like the post by the 17 year old. From her I would expect it.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    sneaks in - - - i find that rants generally work better if you don't stress a misspelled word over and over again (deleted) - - - sneaks out

Why bother reading the thread then? He is actually talking about people like YOU! Constantly negative and rude.

Technically.... she was pointing out a fact, NOT being negative. And, OP congrats on your success! Carry on.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    cains-train-wreck.jpg

Hehehehehehehehehe!
  • maranatha777
    Options
    Oh and by the way, I had no idea there were guidelines and if I would have known, I would have read them, but I thank one person and I get deleated but yet people post RUDE jokes and talk about their sexualility openly and other things but yet that's okay.

You imply that it is distasteful for anybody to talk about their sexuality openly.

if we cant' say thank you Jesus then nothing on this site should be talked about other than weight loss including sexuality, shoe size, the color of the sky, and the taste of wood

Agreed. It's not like he was "forcing" Jesus on anyone. He was saying thank you to someone and mentioned Jesus Christ in the post. He needs to create a special group to say thanks to someone?
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Actually, just speaking historically, Jesus was a real person. Whether or not he was anything special is up to you to decide. But he was actually a real human being.

I think we could all do a better job at respecting others' beliefs (you know, unless they worship child rapists or something really messed up like that).

You are a little blunt sometimes, but you are my new fave MFPer :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've been here a long time-- MFP, that is-- although, at 47, I've been everywhere a long time-- ha.

I see right in this topic a member with the F word-- the grandpappy of dirty words as their picture-- MFP doesn't have a problem with that? With foul language that I can't use in the forums as somebody's av?

And yet, someone mentions their religion and someone has a cow. Yo, Mike-- that stinks.

As for the moderators-- someone here said they're all jerks. Not fair. Not nice. These are good people trying to do a hard job to get everyone to play nice. It shouldn't be so hard, but again, the glory of the Internet, any asshat with a computer can open an account, hide behind a silly name and cause trouble. It is what it is.

Personally, as a Christian, all glory goes to God for everything-- I have no problem saying it here, there or anywhere. Delete away.

If you have a problem with someone's post, the topic, or even their picture, then report it. As I stated in another post, the mods cannot be everywhere at once, there are more users than there are staff and they heavily rely upon members to use the report system so they can handle it. They're people with certain hours and a life outside of observing posts, topics, and content of images.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I don't understand how adults survive in a world full of rules they don't like just by ignoring them.
    And then getting angry for suffering the consequences? It sounds like the post by the 17 year old. From her I would expect it.

Its called protest and how you overthrow tyrannical governments.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I'd like to apologize for any distress caused by our moderation of the original thread being discussed here.

For a long part of MyFitnessPal's history, it used to be contrary to the guidelines to make any mention of religion, sexuality, or politics in the public forums. This was ultimately because even the most well-intentioned thread on these topics often drew abusive responses from other users, making the topics a real challenge to moderate.

However, when we updated our guidelines late last year, in conjunction with the release of the Groups feature, we eased up on restrictions against religious and sexuality-based topic (political threads MUST be in groups, because they never, ever end well).

Many users are still under the impression that any mention of religion is cause for a thread to be deleted, but this is in fact not the case.

Yesterday, one of our newest staff members (not a volunteer moderator, but an employee) responded to moderation reports that the thread in question was violating guideline rules for containing religious content.

He responded with the best intentions of enforcing the new guideline which reads:
    15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

The definition of a divisive topic does not automatically include any that mention religion. Frankly, if other posters were more tolerant of such mentions, threads like this would never even be reported. However, it looks as though the thread did go somewhat downhill once folks with differing opinions on the topic weighed in. In retrospect, locking the thread with a clarification of the guideline, like this one, and then issuing warnings to those who had disrupted the thread, would have been more in line with the spirit of the guidelines.

We did create the Group feature so that folks who wish to discuss topics that have historically let to attack and abuse from other members would have a "safe" place to do so. I put "safe" in quotes because of course the public forums should be safe as well, but sometimes those who would disrupt a thread get ahead of those of us who are here to keep the conversations civil.

For what it's worth, we do our best to remove all content that doesn't abide by the guidelines, be it sexual content, advertising, etc. But we do need posts to be reported for us to have a look. In this case, the thread was reported by some who mis-interpreted the existing guideline, and unfortunately our newest staff member didn't have the full picture before responding. I will make sure this is clarified very shortly.

My apologies for any frustration this has caused.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.