My Job is Ruining my weightloss...

Options
1235»

Replies

• Rebecca0686
    Options
    I'm a supervisor at a call center and it is illegal for you to get in trouble for going to the bathroom during the day. The laws are all kind of the same but here in NY, legally, I can't give disciplinary action if the employee has less then 45 minutes of break time in a single work shift. I'm not sure where you are located but you should check the labor laws to find out the time limit.

As far as co-workers buying you lunch, that happens to me as well. I just simply said thanks but I've brought my own lunch today. I also informed them that I've started a new diet and that I'll be bringing my own food.

The water comment I saw earlier though, that it doesn't make a difference if you do or do not drink water through out the day, it was recommended to me that I drink at least 8-10 cups of water a day to help maintain any weight loss. I don't think my doctor would lie to me. LOL Just saying.

I also have the same problem with tap water at home and where I live, the water isn't the best. I found the best thing that worked for me was a Brita filter on my fountain. Also, I've got a Brita pitcher that works pretty well.

Hope everything is going better for you know though. Also, hope this advice was helpful. :smile:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    On the other end of the spectrum (management). We allowed bathroom breaks at the employee's discretion. When the person's other team members started complaining about people being gone more than 5 minutes on a bathroom break, I had to look into it. The bathroom was pretty close to the production floor. At first I timed some of the offenders. Some were taking, 10 minutes or more, breaks every hour besides their regular scheduled 15 minute morning, lunch time, and afternoon breaks. So I find out some of the girls were re-applying their make-up and doing their hair, or making personal phone calls while on the "I can't wait until break time" bathroom break. There are not too many people who can't comfortably wait 1 hour and 45 minutes between bathroom breaks. And.. morning and afternoon 15 minute breaks are not a person's "free" time and potty breaks are a separate issue. These 10-15 minute (depending on which state you live in) breaks were specifically provided by law so people could work their shift comfortably without causing down time for their employer. You'd be surprised how few people had to take a non-break time potty break after I required them to let me know when they left the production floor. It may seem trivial to some people, but when 8-10 people are taking, say.. 2 extra 5 minute breaks a day it cost a lot of money for the company. Not only is one of these people getting paid nearly an hour a week or if they work a full time job (2080 hours per year) that would be 43 (or so) hours per year. That's being paid for an extra week for work not performed. Several of those people could break a small company. You wouldn't believe some of the things I saw. People playing computer games on the production line, personal phone calls, helping themselves in the office supply room when school was starting (to the point of the entire room having to be restocked every night for about 2 weeks before school started), people buying major home appliances on their credit card meant for work expenses, people on work permits from foreign countries using their cubicle phones to "call home" (Asia, Europe, etc). How do people justify it or how do they feel entitled to this type of behavior? So, maybe a quick bathroom break may not seem like a big deal, but sometimes it's the straw that broke the camel's back. Check out the big picture. Would you want to pay an employee for an extra week every year.. for nothing? Believe me, if you ever make it to management, you will see this issue differently.

Just to be clear; nobody was ever refused permission to take a potty break.