Eggs VS Egg Whites

Options
I'm going to start eating eggs in the morning in replacement of either the english muffin or the oatmeal (Check out my Diary and let me know what you think).

Which do you think would be better?
Is the cost worth the benefits of not having yolk?
Are the yolks really all that bad?

Thanks

Replies

• brittyc1988
    Options
    I love eggs! and I eat alot but to cut down on calories I have 3 eggs! 1 yolk and 3 egg whites. The egg white dont have much calories and the yolk is nice to have for flavor and it has protein! and the 3 eggs make alot! I don't think the yolks are that bad and they have protein and as long as youre active you can enjoy them still!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    It is a myth that yolks are bad. Eat the whole thing and be healthier.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yes, the yolks are bad. All that's in them is fat and cholesterol. The whites are pure protein. I don't look at peoples diaries. I switch between oatmeal and egg whites. When I run in the morning, I want protein, when I don't run, I have oatmeal. That's probably backwards, but whatever. English muffins are not good for you, so I'd get rid of that habit. Maybe, if you really like them, save that for 'once in a while' or something.

Edited because yolks are not good for you. Just needed to reiterate that.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think egg yolks are bad - I just don't like hard boiled (unless they are all smushed up and made into deviled eggs) so I don't eat hard boiled yolks...but I will eat whole eggs fried or in an omelet...

and no they aren't bad - they are full of good nutrients and cholesterol your body needs to function - food cholesterol doesn't really have a direct impact on blood cholesterol - unlike what some Dr's like to believe....
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Yolks are higher in fat and cholesterol, but honestly, if you keep below your allowances, I don't see why you couldn't eat a whole egg. I hate wasting food myself, and I would really miss the 'mouth feel' that only the yolk provides.

That said, is there anything like "Born 3" eggs in your stores? http://www.born3.com/files/born3-about.php These are eggs produced by chickens that have been fed no animaly byproducts and a very different sort of diet than most. The are much lower in saturated fats and actually provide some Omega-3 fatty acids. I've switched to these exclusively now, and I eat the whole egg - after all, it's good for me! (=
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I used to have 3 egg whites and 1 yolk as well. The yolk is just fat and cholestrol, but to be honest, if you eat low fat foods throughout the day and your cholestrol is fine then have the yolks. They just add more protein to that meal.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't eat yolks, only because I limit breakfast to 200 calories so if I ate eggs whole it wouldn't leave room for much else. I use Eggbeaters, which are 60 calories for 1/2 cup. It makes a HUGE omelette with some mushrooms and broccoli thrown in and I still have the calories for a piece of toast , some fruit, or a cup of yogurt on the side.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Yes, the yolks are bad. All that's in them is fat and cholesterol. The whites are pure protein. I don't look at peoples diaries. I switch between oatmeal and egg whites. When I run in the morning, I want protein, when I don't run, I have oatmeal. That's probably backwards, but whatever. English muffins are not good for you, so I'd get rid of that habit. Maybe, if you really like them, save that for 'once in a while' or something.

If you want protein, then just eat protein powder. If you want other vitamins and minerals and fat (yes fat is healthy), then eat the egg yolks. Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on the levels in the body, since most of it is created by the liver, not from dietary sources.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

If you want protein, then just eat protein powder. If you want other vitamins and minerals and fat (yes fat is healthy), then eat the egg yolks. Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on the levels in the body, since most of it is created by the liver, not from dietary sources.

This is my stance on eggs as well. I eat the whole thing. Lipid hypothesis.... read about it.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yolks are NOT just fat and cholesterol - An egg yolk is there to provide sustenance to a growing chick. It won't do that with fat and cholesterol alone!

Egg yolks also contain protein, vitamins and minerals - yes the yolk is HIGHER in fat and cholesterol, but this isn't exactly difficult when the white is pretty much protein and water.

I personally feel the benefits outweigh the negatives, unless you suffer from high cholesterol and have been ordered by a doctor to maintain a low cholesterol diet. Otherwise, what's wrong with them? Great source of dietary vitamin D!
  • Zichu
    Options
    I think I worded that kind of wrong lol. I didn't mean it as just fat and cholestrol on it's own. I did say it had protein and if you generally keep low on fat and cholestrol throughout the day or you are able to eat foods high in cholestrol then it's fine.

1 yolk has about 3g protein and 1 egg white has 4g of protein. I would rather have 7g of protein per egg than only get 4g of protein and spend more money on other food to get protein you should of received from the egg yolk.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I think I worded that kind of wrong lol. I didn't mean it as just fat and cholestrol on it's own. I did say it had protein and if you generally keep low on fat and cholestrol throughout the day or you are able to eat foods high in cholestrol then it's fine.

1 yolk has about 3g protein and 1 egg white has 4g of protein. I would rather have 7g of protein per egg than only get 4g of protein and spend more money on other food to get protein you should of received from the egg yolk.

Ah I just saw your post - I was writing in response to the 4th post, I guess I should have used the quote button :embarassed:
  • Zichu
    Options
    It wasn't you're fault lol. It just sounded like a response to mine so it was my fault for jumping the gun a little. No worries anyway.
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are not bad, but are a good thing to drop if you want a lower fat meal.

I personally use fresh egg whites from a carton which I add to one whole egg to make omelettes, scrambled eggs etc.
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    I LOVE eggs, but after I started MFP and ate one egg scrambled, I wanted to pass out. However, NOW I am a fan of egg whites. I dont buy them in the store, too high, I just buy regular eggs and separate the white from the yolk.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The cost of egg whites already done for you is ridiculous. Do a comparson sometime. It's easy and cheap to separate on your own.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Whole egg for sure! Essential fatty acids and all kinds of other wonderful things are contained in the yolk. :) A common misconception is that all of the protein is in the white. There are 3.6 g protein in the white and 2.7 g protein in the yolk.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i have a boiled egg every morning - keeps you full for ages. i eat the whole egg - why would you not? i even add more fat by having butter in mine.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I am pretty sure the fat in eggs is considered a fat burning fat.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Egg yolks aren't necessarily bad or good.

If you have a cholesterol problem, then you have to watch your fat and cholesterol intake. That means watch -- or eliminate -- your consumption of egg yolks. If you don't have a cholesterol problem, then the yolks would be less of an issue.

-- James