Eggs VS Egg Whites

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I am pretty sure the fat in eggs is considered a fat burning fat.

Not sure what you mean by this but fat burning has more to do with lack of carbs than the presence of fat.
  • neubauer7
    neubauer7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start eating eggs in the morning in replacement of either the english muffin or the oatmeal (Check out my Diary and let me know what you think).

Which do you think would be better?
    Is the cost worth the benefits of not having yolk?
    Are the yolks really all that bad?

Thanks

I personally prefer to eat eggbeaters, or if eating a hard boiled egg I only eat the egg white. It's lower in calories, and pure protein (which is why I'm eating it!! I don't particularly LOVE hard boiled egg whites, LOL :smile: ) But in the mornings you can have even 2-3 servings of the eggbeaters with salsa, little shredded cheese, spinach... and it's low cal, HIGH protein, and will keep you going for hours!
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There's all kinds of nutrients in the yolk. There was even a recent study that showed yolks may help prevent breast cancer. Nature didn't include yolks in eggs just so we could toss them out.:smile: I've lost 35 pounds and consumed at least 6 whole eggs a week in the process. I have never thrown out a yolk in my life.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. I sometimes have two on a single slice of bread, but usually have them without. If I am going to have a more strenuous morning workout, I eat one hard boiled. I agree....it's FILLING. Not all fats are "bad."
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i only eat the whites but that is only because i don't like the taste of the yolks. i scramble 4 whites up with a cup of chopped kale/collards and some mushrooms. yum! keeps me full all morning on the weekends.
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i am going to ask dietican
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Not sure what you mean by this but fat burning has more to do with lack of carbs than the presence of fat.

I was under the impression that fat burning had more to do with eating less calories than you burn.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole fetus
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    I would definitely go with the whole egg. It's great protein, it's good for us and unless you are separating your own eggs, far less processed than pre-packaged egg whites.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    mmmm eggs. I eat the whole thing, I find the taste much better. I did previously buy the egg beaters, and if I'm having a really "eggy" week I'll pick it up occasionally, but other wise I enjoy my whole eggs.
  • jmaffett
    jmaffett Posts: 68
    Options
    Yes, the yolks are bad. All that's in them is fat and cholesterol. The whites are pure protein. I don't look at peoples diaries. I switch between oatmeal and egg whites. When I run in the morning, I want protein, when I don't run, I have oatmeal. That's probably backwards, but whatever. English muffins are not good for you, so I'd get rid of that habit. Maybe, if you really like them, save that for 'once in a while' or something.

Edited because yolks are not good for you. Just needed to reiterate that.

TOTALLY incorrect. Egg yolks have a ton of minerals and vitamins that are important for building muscles and general overall health. Here is an excerpt from Livestrong.com.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Protein
    Two egg yolks contain 5.4 g of protein, which comes from 18 different amino acids. Because eggs contain all of the essential amino acids, they are considered a complete protein.

Minerals
    Egg yolks supply many different essential minerals. Two raw egg yolks supply 35 percent of the DRI for selenium, which helps to regulate the thyroid and fight oxidative stress. Egg yolks are also high in phosphorus, supplying 18.8 percent of the DRI. Two yolks also provide more than 5 percent of iron for women and more than 10 percent for men, as well as more than 7 percent of the DRI of zinc for both groups. While high in many other minerals, egg yolks are low in sodium, supplying less than 1 percent of the daily recommended maximum intake of 2,400 mg.

Water-Soluble vitamins
    Although egg yolks do not provide any vitamin C, they do provide high amounts of some of the other water-soluble vitamins, particularly choline. Two yolks supply more than 40 percent of the DRI of choline for men and over 50 percent for women. In addition, two yolks supply more 20 percent of the DRI of vitamins B5 and B12, and more 10 percent of riboflavin and folate.

Fat-Soluble vitamins
    Along with providing water-soluble vitamins, egg yolks are also high in some fat-soluble vitamins, especially vitamin D. Two yolks provide 23 percent of this vitamin, which helps to maintain calcium levels. Like many yellow and orange foods, egg yolks also provide vitamin A, with two yolks containing 18 percent of the DRI. Egg yolks contain less of the other two fat-soluble vitamins, with two yolks supplying only 5.9 percent of the DRI for vitamin E and less than 1 percent of the DRI for vitamin K.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/252564-egg-yolk-nutrition/#ixzz1oSdHXRj0
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol of the egg is in the yolk... 1 egg 1 egg white is a good combination...
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    It is a myth that yolks are bad. Eat the whole thing and be healthier.
    this ^
    some days i eat 3 eggs for breakfast, scrambled up with random veggies and its awesome how full it keeps me and i have tons of energy all day
    plus it tastes tons better! plain egg white make my want to cry
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Considering the yolk is where all the nutrition is, I keep them in. I mean the yolk is what the baby chicken would have eaten if the egg had been fertilized, so I figure it's pretty good. The only time I ever omit them is in baking and such, to lower calories and I'm less concerned about nutrition.
  • jmaffett
    jmaffett Posts: 68
    Options
    And to add ... Eggs keep me satisfied so I'll have a whole egg with two or three whites, or a whole egg mixed in with Egg Beaters. It's low in calories, high in minerals, has a lot of protein, and is affordable.
  • Rodentranger
    Options
    My hens get sad when I waste their hard work. If I choose not to eat the yolk, which I have been doing frequently for no reason other than I don't like it, I add it to my dogs' food. I'm not wasting it and it gets my old man dog to eat. Win-win.
    I don't eat store bought eggs though. The eggs in my food are straight from my backyard and only days old at most. A lot higher nutrition than store eggs, which are at best two to three WEEKS old before they get sold. Yuck.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    Yes, the yolks are bad. All that's in them is fat and cholesterol. The whites are pure protein. I don't look at peoples diaries. I switch between oatmeal and egg whites. When I run in the morning, I want protein, when I don't run, I have oatmeal. That's probably backwards, but whatever. English muffins are not good for you, so I'd get rid of that habit. Maybe, if you really like them, save that for 'once in a while' or something.

Edited because yolks are not good for you. Just needed to reiterate that.

Recent studies have shown that, in fact, those who eat whole eggs on a regular basis have lower levels of cholesterol than those who do not eat eggs or those who eat only egg whites. The fat in eggs (in the yolk) is primarily polyunsaturated fats and has been shown to lower serum (blood) cholesterol levels. Most studies have shown that only diets high in saturated fat lead to elevated cholesterol levels.

If you're watching your calories and trying to increase your protein, by all means, eat primarily egg whites. I personally, enjoy about 2-3 whole eggs per week. Fat is important for the body, but I am careful in the types of fat which I consume. I eat very little saturated fat, but rather get most of my fat from eggs, avacado, nuts, etc.
  • cheyniemama
    Options
    I suggest the 3 eggs, 1 whole, 2 whites. Less calories, but you still get a yolk with flavor and vitamins. Enough vitamins, etc. to grow an entire animal! (baby chick, lol)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I was under the impression that fat burning had more to do with eating less calories than you burn.

I'm talking about fat oxidation.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole fetus

I love Balut! Delicious!

The egg yolks have been proven in studies to not contribute to cholesterol in your blood. Yolks have lots of protein as well as other nutrients not in the egg whites. I always eat whole eggs and don't see the point of eating egg whites.

OTOH Egg whites have a better ratio of protein to calories so they only make sense in extreme circumstances.