Adopted babies

Options
Anna_Banana
Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
Okay, we have a hen that always hates for us to take her eggs. She is the only hen we have that will sit on her eggs and not leave. When we go to get the eggs she always pecks at us, and the kids are afraid of her and won't even try to get the eggs. Since we won't let her hatch out her eggs, she decided to adopt. These pictures are what I found this morning in the hen house. Look closely at the babies.:noway:
IMG_3946_1.jpg
IMG_3945_1.jpg

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Options
    Okay, we have a hen that always hates for us to take her eggs. She is the only hen we have that will sit on her eggs and not leave. When we go to get the eggs she always pecks at us, and the kids are afraid of her and won't even try to get the eggs. Since we won't let her hatch out her eggs, she decided to adopt. These pictures are what I found this morning in the hen house. Look closely at the babies.:noway:
    IMG_3946_1.jpg
    IMG_3945_1.jpg
  • Cerabell18
    Cerabell18 Posts: 124
    Options
    Kitties!!! That is really sweet! Where did she get them?
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    How adorable!!!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    awww.. how sweet! :heart:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Momma cat had them there a few days ago. The hen usually lays in the box to the left of that, but I think she is so mad that we take her eggs that she just decided she wanted these babies
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    awwwwwwwwwwww that's the cutest thing I've ever seen :laugh: was momma cat mad?
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that Anna! That is so sweet!
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    awwwwwwwwwwww that's the cutest thing I've ever seen :laugh: was momma cat mad?

I'm not sure if she knows yet. I'm at work now, but when I get home I'm going to let the hen keep what ever eggs she lays today and try to move those babies to a different location.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    omw! that is soo cute! I <3 it! she really wants to be a mommy!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Maternal instinct, even in a dang chicken, I would have never guessed it!
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I submitted my chicken pictures to the news station, and I guess they made the news last night as picture of the day. I don't have TV so I missed it, but that's just kind of cool.
  • genabug
    Options
    I submitted my chicken pictures to the news station, and I guess they made the news last night as picture of the day. I don't have TV so I missed it, but that's just kind of cool.

Thats cute! Is she still training to take over the kitties today?
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    awseome. i sent this to my cat rescue - they love stuff like this! now...about that un-fixed moma...is she a barn cat? anyway to have her spayed? i only ask because, well im obligated...:happy:
  • tabchanges
    tabchanges Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    That is so adorable.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I took the hen off the babies last night and she was so mad. Then when I went back into the barn she was sitting on the nest again, on top of the Momma cat.

We probably won't get her spayed, bc we are always short cats. We live on a farm and need them to help keep down mice and rats. I really can't see adopting cats for a couple different reasons 1. there is no shelter near us, 2 they charge you and arm and a leg for adoption fees, 3 alot of the times they are house cats (we keep all of ours outside, bc I'm allergic) 4 everytime I've gotten to a city and looked at cats in a shelter they had the little notes on the front of the cage saying, "doesn't get along well with other cat", "doesn't get along with dogs", "doesn't like kids" or my favorite "doesn't play well with others" . Now I don't have anything against shelters. I realize that the cost is to cover their cost, and maybe someday when I don't have other cats, dogs or kids I might adopt one, but for now we are going to stick with the home raised ones.
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    :laugh: What a hoot! That chicken sure wants babies. I can't believe she was sitting on top of the momma! :laugh:
    My dad found a young opossum in the box where one of his momma cats had kittens. He had to do a double take, and then get the camera. So he now has pictures of a long, ugly tail hanging out of the box of kittens. You just never know what you're gonna find out in the country! :laugh:
    I love having the outside cats. We haven't had any mice in the house since one of my dad's mommas adopted our house (we're just down the road) and started hanging with us. They catch the moles too...
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sending! My girls loved this!!!!!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    These pics really made my day! :flowerforyou:
  • genabug
    Options
    I took the hen off the babies last night and she was so mad. Then when I went back into the barn she was sitting on the nest again, on top of the Momma cat.

We probably won't get her spayed, bc we are always short cats. We live on a farm and need them to help keep down mice and rats. I really can't see adopting cats for a couple different reasons 1. there is no shelter near us, 2 they charge you and arm and a leg for adoption fees, 3 alot of the times they are house cats (we keep all of ours outside, bc I'm allergic) 4 everytime I've gotten to a city and looked at cats in a shelter they had the little notes on the front of the cage saying, "doesn't get along well with other cat", "doesn't get along with dogs", "doesn't like kids" or my favorite "doesn't play well with others" . Now I don't have anything against shelters. I realize that the cost is to cover their cost, and maybe someday when I don't have other cats, dogs or kids I might adopt one, but for now we are going to stick with the home raised ones.

Thats is funny! You need to let her have some beebies of her own, then maybe she'll be a happy hen, and not take over the kitties!
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    This is adorable! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou: