Adopted babies

Options
2»

Replies

• heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    We probably won't get her spayed, bc we are always short cats. We live on a farm and need them to help keep down mice and rats. I really can't see adopting cats for a couple different reasons 1. there is no shelter near us, 2 they charge you and arm and a leg for adoption fees, 3 alot of the times they are house cats (we keep all of ours outside, bc I'm allergic) 4 everytime I've gotten to a city and looked at cats in a shelter they had the little notes on the front of the cage saying, "doesn't get along well with other cat", "doesn't get along with dogs", "doesn't like kids" or my favorite "doesn't play well with others" . Now I don't have anything against shelters. I realize that the cost is to cover their cost, and maybe someday when I don't have other cats, dogs or kids I might adopt one, but for now we are going to stick with the home raised ones.

i understand. its different for you because you live on a farm and cats are welcomed farm hands. as long as you provide food water and shelter, you will be ok. just be careful of over population because the kittens will start having kittens and so on, then you will have a cat farm!

you know i am obligated to ask :wink: our cat rescue sometimes works in conjunction with another rescue in the DFW area called 'barn cats'. barn cats places semi feral to feral cats in barns where the farm owners agree to provide the necessities for the cats. the cats are fixed and placed in a caged area in the barn for 2-4 weeks. this way they get used to their surroundings and dont run off when they are released. the cats live there as long as they last really. its a good alternative to euthinasia or being left out on the street. its their 'home'. sometimes we get cats that cannot be socialized and they get cats that are friendly tame cats, so we trade. it works out well for everyone.

i love your hen! i think she is the best hen ever. silly thing! :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    [
    i understand. its different for you because you live on a farm and cats are welcomed farm hands. as long as you provide food water and shelter, you will be ok. just be careful of over population because the kittens will start having kittens and so on, then you will have a cat farm!

you know i am obligated to ask :wink: our cat rescue sometimes works in conjunction with another rescue in the DFW area called 'barn cats'. barn cats places semi feral to feral cats in barns where the farm owners agree to provide the necessities for the cats. the cats are fixed and placed in a caged area in the barn for 2-4 weeks. this way they get used to their surroundings and dont run off when they are released. the cats live there as long as they last really. its a good alternative to euthinasia or being left out on the street. its their 'home'. sometimes we get cats that cannot be socialized and they get cats that are friendly tame cats, so we trade. it works out well for everyone.

i love your hen! i think she is the best hen ever. silly thing! :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile:

I understand where you're coming from. Our cats get plenty of food and water & if someone misses a feeding they go eat chicken food:noway: . It's so funny bc we feed our chickens old bread part of the time and the cats and chickens will all be standing together waiting for us to throw the bread.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    We probably won't get her spayed, bc we are always short cats. We live on a farm and need them to help keep down mice and rats. I really can't see adopting cats for a couple different reasons 1. there is no shelter near us, 2 they charge you and arm and a leg for adoption fees, 3 alot of the times they are house cats (we keep all of ours outside, bc I'm allergic) 4 everytime I've gotten to a city and looked at cats in a shelter they had the little notes on the front of the cage saying, "doesn't get along well with other cat", "doesn't get along with dogs", "doesn't like kids" or my favorite "doesn't play well with others" . Now I don't have anything against shelters. I realize that the cost is to cover their cost, and maybe someday when I don't have other cats, dogs or kids I might adopt one, but for now we are going to stick with the home raised ones.

That is just wonderful what you are doing for the cats!!! :flowerforyou:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I live on a ranch, that is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I have seen a dog adopt kittens and a cat adopt puppies, but this takes it all!
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    That's amazing. I had no idea that a hen would do that. Great pics.
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    darn red X's... someone will have to save the pictures and email them to me :happy:

I love happy stories like this! makes me smile!
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    darn red X's... someone will have to save the pictures and email them to me :happy:

I love happy stories like this! makes me smile!

give me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    awwww thanks Anna! I sent you a pm. :happy: :wink:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Trouble, I never received a pm from you. My home page won't load (I hate my computer), but when I go to my mail it's not there.
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    is it there now?
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    awww, that is just too sweet. :flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

That is just wonderful what you are doing for the cats!!! :flowerforyou:

thx sweet pea! :flowerforyou:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    too cute