why do you over eat?

Options
I think there is always a reason that people over eat. Either depression or stress or something like that.

Right now I am ending a marriage that made me over eat and then the stress of a divorce is making it even worse. Does anyone else stress eat and if so what do you do instead?

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I either over eat or starve myself when I get depressed. This is why I'm here now lol
    I'm re-learning what my body actually needs.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I over eat from bordum. If i'm alone and nothing to do i eat. I am changing that. I try to keep myself busy and not sit infront of the TV w hen i'm alone. With the weather starting to break and get warmer then i will hit the outdoors.

Now when i was stressed i found that working out in the flower garden a great help. I have like 8 of them. but just something about digging in that dirt and planting some seeds or a baby plant and watching it grow just lightens my mood.

Keep your head up and remember that You are worth all the effort. Don't let anyone make you feel less.
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I over eat from bordum. If i'm alone and nothing to do i eat. I am changing that. I try to keep myself busy and not sit infront of the TV w hen i'm alone. With the weather starting to break and get warmer then i will hit the outdoors.

Now when i was stressed i found that working out in the flower garden a great help. I have like 8 of them. but just something about digging in that dirt and planting some seeds or a baby plant and watching it grow just lightens my mood.

Keep your head up and remember that You are worth all the effort. Don't let anyone make you feel less.

That sounds good. I had started a garden but when everyone elses plants grow, mine die :sad:
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    sing!!!! sing as loud as you can and sing beautifully!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think there is always a reason that people over eat. Either depression or stress or something like that.

Right now I am ending a marriage that made me over eat and then the stress of a divorce is making it even worse. Does anyone else stress eat and if so what do you do instead?

I've substituted going for run or rowing for binge eating (most of the time)
  • EmilyMae12
    EmilyMae12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would say I over ate to suppress my emotions. To avoid over-eating I take naps and shower.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's fun. Seriously, not everyone is fat because of emotional issues. Food tastes good and I'm lazy.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Either I'm really hungry or we went out to eat.:flowerforyou:
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For me, it's usually because "I deserve it." Sometimes that means I've gotten through something distateful, so I reward myself with a treat. Sometimes it means I think I've done awesome at something, so I reward myself with a treat. I need to change how I interact with food and not use it as currency.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love to eat!! I eat when I don't need to eat..I eat when I am bored. Give me a reason...and I will eat. "The world is ending!!" "GREAT LETS HAVE LUNCH!"
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do instead of stress eating -

Xanax*

*Not to promote drugs or anything. But I love my doctor.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I did that today. I have worked with this guy for 27 years now. He's like my big brother. Today was his last day at work and it didn't end well. So I had Burger King for lunch. I'm a little mad at myself because I was trying to be so good this week and that was my first mess up. I was really bummed about the situation. But I am getting right back on it. Everyone has a slip up. Take baby steps and you will get there. We didn't gain this weight over night.
    Good luck!
  • RachChizo
    RachChizo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to find something else to focus on which is good for me. I like to plan the fitness activities I will complete each week and make sure all of the activiites are achieved. I also find that getting 10,000 steps in a day helps - my job is in an office so it forces me to go for a walk or get on a treadmill. The distraction from the stressful situation is welcome as well as getting fitter makes me feel happier.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I overeat because I love food too much.
  • sweetgrl2087
    sweetgrl2087 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate, but I over eat out of boredom and I have been struggling to find employment and just the sitting around being at home just add's to the stress!
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A lot of my weight came on during and just after my divorce, so, yeah, I'm an emotional eater who ate her way through that stress. Depression came into play as well.

My go to right now is walking. I was never much of a walker (thought I hated it), but it's been a godsend these past few months. I started walking regularly and notice my stress level come down and my ability to deal with stress increased... and now if I get stressed, I'm finding myself wanting to walk instead of eat (not gonna complain about that! even though it is kind of strange for me).

Before walking, Knitting was a great go to (but I've been fighting off moths, so no knitting for the last few months :( ). Knitting is great because it keeps your hands busy, it can be as mindless or as challenging as you'd like, and you can see progress which is very satisfying.

It also helps me to have healthy alternatives to go to (currently carrots & hummus) - I can snack on (and even binge on) those relatively guilt free!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I overeat when I feel I cant have something...like cheez its, chex mix, pringles, dessert, you name it. I think if I have one it will tame my craving but no I go bonkers! If i dont touch it I'm fine but I need self control and thats hard for me. it just cant be in the house.

Now stress and depression make me NOT eat. When i am in that state the sound of food makes me nauseous. i remember MAKING myself eat chocolate animal crackers just to get something in me and I could abrely do that.

Ahhh just read through some posts and forgot BOREDOM. Thats a big one for me.
  • Leah5449
    Leah5449 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me, it's usually because "I deserve it." Sometimes that means I've gotten through something distateful, so I reward myself with a treat. Sometimes it means I think I've done awesome at something, so I reward myself with a treat. I need to change how I interact with food and not use it as currency.

You said it, sister!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit of overeating when I am super hungry. I eat and eat, knowing that if I would just wait 10 minutes, my body will be full.....and of course end up feeling stuffed which I absolutely hate!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

I've been separated for 2 years now from a 20year marriage. I learned to stress eat as a way to cope with things that were out of my control. Now that i'm out of that environment, I feel 200% better and i'm getting my life back for me. Among other things, part of that is learning how to eat properly all over again. The entire 20 years I watched myself struggle with food issues. I'd eat crappy for a while, then i'd go on a health kick to fix it....then i'd eat crappy again and round and round. I'd take up jogging, straighten myself out, then back to the food abuse. Just really glad i'm outta that now and I can't wait for spring so I can get back to jogging outside. Jogging works for me. It de-stresses me every time. Find what works for you. There's something for everyone, you just gotta find it....and good luck!!!