Replies

• poofy7
    poofy7 Posts: 17
    Options
    i overeat because i'm lonely
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's fun. Seriously, not everyone is fat because of emotional issues. Food tastes good and I'm lazy.
    Tell that to Bob & Jillian.
    I barely know who they are, so I really don't know what you're trying to say.
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    It's fun. Seriously, not everyone is fat because of emotional issues. Food tastes good and I'm lazy.
    THIS
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Food tastes good and you somehow don't have the capacity to control yourself when you either feel, or should feel full. You eat because you don't make eating a conscious act, but a passive one. Take control, portion your food, have a game plan for how to handle parties and other situations like work goodies, etc. It isn't easy to do all at once, but you can make baby steps in the right direction. Control takes time when make the transition from passive to conscious eating.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I started a lot of overeating to mask my feelings..... not just depression, but all feelings.

If I'm happy - 'hey, let's go have chips & salsa!.... and fried mushrooms with queso.... and stop at Sonic on the way home'
    If I'm sad - 'I know girl, he's a total *kitten*.... we need more salt & vinegar chips & let me know when the pizza gets here'
    If I'm lonely - 'Who needs friends {a man, or a good job or a nice house or sanity}? I can do it without them and with the aid of these 4 bowls of cereal... cereal loves me just the way I am'
    If I'm bored - 'I wonder what's on the History channel.... *eat chips and 17 cookies*... ugh nothing, let's check the Food Network'
    If I'm excited - 'Yes! You made all As on your report card AND got good conduct!!!! Who wants some fried chicken and mashed taters?'
    If I'm utterly depressed - 'I just woke up long enough to make another pack of Ramen noodles with velveeta chunks in it..... then I'm going back to bed'

For me, it's everywhere... very emotionally based and driving me darn well CAHHHH-RAYYYY-ZEEEE
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. I have access to food all day long. No one else in my family (my husband, my daughter, my son) are overweight. I eat out of boredom... ahem, I used to eat out of boredom!
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I eat because I am bored outta my gourd lol LOL! no stress no emotional eating; just plain ol bored =)
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bbq's, birthday parties, movie nights, hangin with friends, breakfast on Sundays....most of my reasons are social. Guess I gotta work on that. I also eat when I am stressed. Usually its stuff like Ice Cream, or Starbucks...
  • TXGaToRgiRl88
    Options
    If I over eat, it is normally on something that I dont have very often. ex: spaghetti, cupcakes, cake, etc. I eat pretty healthy generally so when sweets come around, it is VERy hard for me to turn them down. Especially when they are just sitting there by the water dispenser at work... always gets me.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I still have this...this thing lodged in my brain "finish your plate" from when I was young. I can't be done till my plate is empty.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    1: the lesson from when I was a kid to "empty my plate"
    2: I'm always out of my house, so a lot of my meals are fast food or grab-and-go food
    3: I'm craving something
    4: I'm in pain (this is a girl thing, chocolate makes the pain slightly less and puts enough in your gut to cushion the Tylenol)
  • PipeCat
    PipeCat Posts: 13
    Options
    I think there is always a reason that people over eat. Either depression or stress or something like that.

Right now I am ending a marriage that made me over eat and then the stress of a divorce is making it even worse. Does anyone else stress eat and if so what do you do instead?

Stress and mood changes have caused me to over eat at times. My joy for cooking and eating causes it. Going out with friends is a prime opportunity for me to eat too much.
    The day came when I recognized that food was no longer serving it's roll as a comforting mechanism. I realized no matter how much food I stuffed in my face, it wouldn't happen. I knew at that point, I needed to change something.
  • sassygamma
    sassygamma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a boredem eater also, if i get bored i eat, if i get stressed i eat, if someone is eating something that looks good i must try it, its a terrible cycle. But i was once told by a councelor, if you feel stressed the BEST thing to do is get out of the house and walk, don't pick up food. When my dad passed in Jan, i was so scared i would put back on the weight i had lost but instead i walked actually talked about how i was feeling instead of eating what i was feeling..
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I was another kid who was made to clean their plate...food also became comfort for me. Now I still eat out of emotion....sad, angry, frustrated, happy, whatever...I eat!

Now I still want to eat for the same reasons...I try to make healthier low cal choices.
  • djkamin60
    djkamin60 Posts: 88
    Options
    I overeat for all the reasons listed. Biggest one is boredom and spending a lot of time by myself. Now I try to get in a walk everyday and am looking forward to spring to spend more time outdoors. Would like to start a garden this year. Find something that you enjoy and do that instead.

Now I don't keep chips and garbage like that in the house. Drink a glass or two of water when you feel the urge to eat or before a tempting situation. I also learned better portion control which has helped alot. Just remember why you're doing this and get back on track again.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    For me, it's mostly boredom or not maintaining proper control over my cravings. For example, when I have a couple glasses of wine, I'll eat everything in sight because my willpower crumbles. I know now that if I stop at one glass of wine, I can still turn down temptations. This also tends to happen to me when I get too hungry, so I make sure to have a decent snack available at all times in case crazy hunger hits.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I overeat because food is tasty.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I ate cuz i was happily married to a llovely woman now i want to get my skinny me back!!!!!
  • chipaddict
    Options
    Because I was raised on huge portions that I had to finish. Eating until I'm just satisifed feels completely alien to me! I eat until I'm stuffed!