Bananas and "natural" sugar-should I feel guilty?

Options
124»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    NEVER feel bad about eating a fruit! As a future dietitian, I cannot emphasize the importance of eating fruits and vegetables to get necessary vitamins and minerals. The sugars added into products are what you need to be concerned about. :smile: It's all about balance.

sugar is sugar. our body doesnt know where we found it...in a banana or in a cupcake. ther is nothing wrong with a banana but it is also the most over rated "health" food next to oatmeal. if you can fit in a banana then eat it. but there is nothing magical about or more beneficial about it.

Um, they're high in potassium, an essential electrolyte that is difficult to get. They have fiber and many necessary nutrients.

You can survive never eating them, but the idea that they aren't very healthy for you is silly.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    I eat fruits AND bananas because they are CLEAN.

Ice cream is not clean.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Some people say "screw it! fruit is better than ice cream anyway", others say "Noooo too many carbs and sugars don't do iiiiiiit"

What do you do/feel about bananas? It's making me go bananas...

For fruit, I eat one apple, one banana, and one "cutie" clementine on a daily basis. These three pieces of fruit ALREADY exceed my daily sugar "allowance" on MFP. The addition of a handful of carrots to my quart bag of veggies at lunch means I'm 4-5 grams over my allowance, just from fruits and vegetables.

I focus more on avoiding processed/refined sugars with their higher and more intense glycemic load, and enjoy my fruit.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I usually eat four bananas per day, so if I felt guilty about it I might end up losing my mind! :wink:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    With that said, I will also share that there are optimal times to have sugars so that your body completely metabolizes them.

If you're eating in a calorie deficit then any lipogenesis caused by eating your sugars and not burning them off, will be counteracted by lipolysis during periods where you aren't eating (sleep would be one example).

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A quote I heard once about fruit:

"God packaged the antidote with the poison."

The poison is sugar, the antidote is fiber. It is the white processed stuff that you want to avoid.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My current banana obsession:

1 c. Frozen pineapple
    1 banana
    1 c. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

Blend. Enjoy.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A quote I heard once about fruit:

"God packaged the antidote with the poison."

The poison is sugar, the antidote is fiber. It is the white processed stuff that you want to avoid.
    So... It's impossible to get fiber from other sources, along with eating non-fruit sugar? Also, keeping calories constant, explain how eating sugar is bad for you, at all.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

So... It's impossible to get fiber from other sources, along with eating non-fruit sugar? Also, keeping calories constant, explain how eating sugar is bad for you, at all.

Inb4 statement that ignores dosage and context.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    NEVER feel bad about eating a fruit! As a future dietitian, I cannot emphasize the importance of eating fruits and vegetables to get necessary vitamins and minerals. The sugars added into products are what you need to be concerned about. :smile: It's all about balance.
    Your picture is scary. You are going to fall.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I wish I could eat lots of fruits. My belly bloats up like a balloon after eating them (especially fruits with high fructose). But they have so many vitamins and taste so yummy, to bad.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I eat fruits AND bananas because they are CLEAN.

Ice cream is not clean.

I like dirty...
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way. If you are using the food diary and watching your calorie intake, you needn't worry if you want to have a banana at breakfast.

It's empty calories you should look to avoid. Bananas provide nutrients that your body needs and natural sugar that your body needs. I wouldn't eat a dozen at a sitting, but fresh fruit should not inspire guilt.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Your picture is scary. You are going to fall.

^^ This. The scary part. And the falling part. EEP!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the worst possible food to eat when trying to lose weight.

I know this to be true because I read it right here on MFP. So there.

This is awesome =)
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    Bananas killed my parents when I was a boy. Now, I patrol the streets of Gotham at night and vow to avenge their deaths by fighting bananas wherever I find them.

Best post ever!! *lol*