Kony 2012

Options
Banks01
Banks01 Posts: 985 Member

Replies

• DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Why do I keep seeing post about this? Do you think that people sitting around drinking mocha latte's(on this site hopefully water) tapping on expensive digital devices are going to do anything that Hague and the greater international community haven't done. Now lets get back to more important stuff like obsessing over our physical appearance.
  • Banks01
    Options
    Why do I keep seeing post about this? Do you think that people sitting around drinking mocha latte's(on this site hopefully water) tapping on expensive digital devices are going to do anything that Hague and the greater international community haven't done. Now lets get back to more important stuff like obsessing over our physical appearance.

Ha

At first I was like

Then I was like

Then I get what you're saying.

Great vid to watch while sweating on a treadmill. See, I combined MFP and Kony. Check the other thread too.

I searched only after I posted a new one, shame on me.
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options

Lmao killed it!
    But seriously though it's a horrible thing but not enough people care about. I mean it's been going on for what 26 years? And it's just NOW getting a lot of public attention. People don't care because it's not affecting them
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

Lmao killed it!
    But seriously though it's a horrible thing but not enough people care about. I mean it's been going on for what 26 years? And it's just NOW getting a lot of public attention. People don't care because it's not affecting them

I know, I'm not understanding why it's NOW getting attention and it was for the past 26 years. I've never even heard of Kony before this, ever. There are far too many things to worry about in this world, It's hard to throw all your effort towards one single event.
  • Banks01
    Options

Lmao killed it!

I know, I'm not understanding why it's NOW getting attention and it was for the past 26 years. I've never even heard of Kony before this, ever. There are far too many things to worry about in this world, It's hard to throw all your effort towards one single event.

Some people believe in thoughts like "it's hard to throw all efforts to a single event", get caught up in the enormity of "too many things to worry about" and end up doing nothing. Nothing local, nothing virtual, or something as simple as this.

I'm not criticizing you and certainly global communications and collaboration tools have made the proselytization of ideas and information more readily consumed, everywhere, so it's far easier to spread ideas today than it was even 5 years ago.

Watch the vid, or don't. Do something or not. At any rate, it's a powerful message and a well made video.
  • Banks01
    Options
    This pic was in front of a home we built in the tsunami affected area of Sri Lanka. Still the largest natural disaster human loss in history.

For those of you questioning the validity of the donation, read my receipt:

Thank you for placing an order with Invisible Children!

We appreciate your purchase.  100% of the money from your purchase goes to the area of greatest need, including our protection and rehabilitation work in Central Africa and spreading awareness about the conflict around the world. Visit http://www.invisiblechildren.com/protectionplan for more details.  If you would like to do even more, the TRI program is our recurring donation fund. It allows us to be certain that we will be able to help children recover from their experiences with the LRA long after the LRA has been disarmed.

Due to the astounding response to KONY 2012 all around the world, please allow 3-4 weeks for the processing and shipping of the KONY 2012 Action Kits within the US and Canada. For international orders, expect up to 5 weeks.

We appreciate your patience, but you don't have to wait for the action kit to take action. Visit KONY2012.com to share the film, sign up for events, and download PDF files of KONY 2012 posters.

STOP AT NOTHING."
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options

Lmao killed it!

Some people believe in thoughts like "it's hard to throw all efforts to a single event", get caught up in the enormity of "too many things to worry about" and end up doing nothing. Nothing local, nothing virtual, or something as simple as this.

I'm not criticizing you and certainly global communications and collaboration tools have made the proselytization of ideas and information more readily consumed, everywhere, so it's far easier to spread ideas today than it was even 5 years ago.

Watch the vid, or don't. Do something or not. At any rate, it's a powerful message and a well made video.

I watched the video. I ordered a bracelet. & honestly that will probably be it. Not saying I didn't feel anything towards the video I did it was very moving. It's horrible but it's even more horrible that people will soon forget anout this and move on to the next big thing
  • bellaxero
    bellaxero Posts: 62
    Options
    Yes its horrible, but do research before you contribute to a cause..

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/
  • coliema
    Options

Lmao killed it!

I am not doing nothing, nothing local, or nothing virtual. I am doing something, but I guess assume all you'd like! I was just saying it's hard to throw 100% effort into every single thing that happens, there is so many other things going on in the world to just throw your attention at one. I did watch the video, and I do believe it's a powerful message.
  • coliema
    Options

Lmao killed it!

I watched the video. I ordered a bracelet. & honestly that will probably be it. Not saying I didn't feel anything towards the video I did it was very moving. It's horrible but it's even more horrible that people will soon forget anout this and move on to the next big thing

That's how it typically works, there is all this hype about one thing and then it's forgotten about and soon everyone is moving on to the next thing. That not only happens with world events, but even the smaller things like fads.
  • Banks01
    Options
    [/quote]

I am not doing nothing, nothing local, or nothing virtual. I am doing something, but I guess assume all you'd like! I was just saying it's hard to throw 100% effort into every single thing that happens, there is so many other things going on in the world to just throw your attention at one. I did watch the video, and I do believe it's a powerful message.
    [/quote]

Yeah. You definately have to pick something that personally touches you and focus your efforts. I wasn't assuming anything and I completely identify with your sentiments. I've usually gravitated towards children's benefit organizations for personal reasons but I think a FB link or a retweet is simple.

In the last few years I've built habitat for humanity houses, helped raised almost $400,000 that was distributed to benefit children's and technology education in 6 different countries, I've worked the food bank, done Movember, supported st bald ricks, clean water programs, mosquito nets and it goes on. Personally this is just part of my life and isn't for everyone. when the team was working in Uganda in 2008, invisible children were already there.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Only because this topic might pick up more steam considering the JPG-heavy original topic, I'll repeat this:

For those of you questioning the validity of the donation, read my receipt:

...100% of the money from your purchase goes to the area of greatest need, including our protection and rehabilitation work in Central Africa and spreading awareness about the conflict around the world.

In fairness to the devil's advocate, this does not suggest that any more or less than the reported 31% of the money actually goes to central Africa. In fact, it seems like clever nomenclature to mask the exact thing that the naysayers are suggesting.

Without getting into the politics of the region, I would like to see Joseph Kony removed from his small piece of power. He's a war criminal and his actions are inexcusable. That said, I would be much quicker to donate money to Africare or Water.org or another transparent non-profit.
    -wtk
  • coliema
    Options

[/quote]

Yeah. You definately have to pick something that personally touches you and focus your efforts. I wasn't assuming anything and I completely identify with your sentiments. I've usually gravitated towards children's benefit organizations for personal reasons but I think a FB link or a retweet is simple.

In the last few years I've built habitat for humanity houses, helped raised almost $400,000 that was distributed to benefit children's and technology education in 6 different countries, I've worked the food bank, done Movember, supported st bald ricks, clean water programs, mosquito nets and it goes on. Personally this is just part of my life and isn't for everyone. when the team was working in Uganda in 2008, invisible children were already there.
    [/quote]

Oh, I know and I completely understand! I have this linked on my FB, I posted it yesterday morning when I first saw it. It's great all that you do, it's wonderful! I'm glad some can do more than others, I am only doing what I can at the moment. I can't physically go anywhere and do all of that because of work and school and priorities at home, but I did donate and will continue to and encourage others to do the same.
  • Banks01
    Options
    [/quote]

Oh, I know and I completely understand! I have this linked on my FB, I posted it yesterday morning when I first saw it. It's great all that you do, it's wonderful! I'm glad some can do more than others, I am only doing what I can at the moment. I can't physically go anywhere and do all of that because of work and school and priorities at home, but I did donate and will continue to and encourage others to do the same.
    [/quote]

And THAT is awesome. FR!
  • coliema
    Options
    Woot! :wink:
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    STOP AT NOTHING
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options

So .. I click on that site and the first thing I see is "I Can Haz a Cheeseburger" .. um .. yeh.

KONY2012
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 320
    Options
    this had been happening for some years already then suddenly the internet happens , so many fallacies ; such little time to explain them.

Agreed it is wrong ,but please stop posting about it.
  • Banks01
    Options

So .. I click on that site and the first thing I see is "I Can Haz a Cheeseburger" .. um .. yeh.

KONY2012

Ah, thought you meant the first two links. I've heard the criticisms before and she's posted the same link before. Just a personal decision.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

'Obama Takes on the LRA,' Foreign Affairs
    http://tinyurl.com/7n7h2cu

Better Business Bureau's report on Invisible Children
    http://tinyurl.com/763mmrr

Charity Navigator Score
    http://tinyurl.com/l3tpwt

Invisible Children Financial Statements, 2010
    http://tinyurl.com/7rfu3uz

'UPDF [the group Invisible Children supports] in Kony hunt accused of rape, looting,' The Observer
    http://tinyurl.com/7ay6xbv

Abducted and Abused, Human Rights Watch
    http://tinyurl.com/86gonnu

Just linking some of the articles from reputable sources because they were ignored due to host site.
    -wtk