working through lunch, PLEASE HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    if you pack your lunch ahead you should probably have no issue eating it withing the 15 minutes allowed...also have a healthy snack before and after...problem solved!
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and although I get a lunch break, it isn't until later in the day... I bring greek yogurt, fruit, cucumbers/onions with Walden Farms Raspberry Vinagarette and sometimes, low fat popcorn or some type of snack that will get me through until I can sit down for lunch... pack your own foods the night before so you are not tempted to buy from a vending machine or elsewhere... I agree with the majority here, try eating a little bit of lunch before and after your work and bring something to nibble on while you are at work.
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been eating turkey sandwiches. 5 slices of Oscar Meyer turkey = 45 calories and 2 slices of bread= 70 calories (mustard = no calories). For a total of 115 calories, I can substitute this sandwich for one of my snacks. Much more filling than a few crackers. :happy:
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Definately plan ahead. Wraps with lean meat, cheese and veggies. Small salad w/a protein. Rice cake w/peanut butter and fruit. Light cheese on crackers. Small packages of almonds.. etc.. Make sure you have a protein. Hope this gives you some ideas.
  • jaqiswany
    jaqiswany Posts: 76
    Options
    A prepared salad box maybe? Or do you have access to a microwave? I love a veg medley with a tiny amount of chopped grilled bacon on it and some chopped red pepper.
    Its just a mix of brocolli, cauli, carrot, leek all steamed and laid out in a shallow bowl ( i usually arrange it in a decorative manner) then sprinkled with the chopped pepper and crisy bacon , with a light sprinkling of mozzerella cheese. Its really tasty.

Theres all manner of pitta pockets fillings you can prepare too , or deli wraps filled with salad etc.

Hope you find something that you like , good luck :-)
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I actually don't get a lunch break. I'm a receptionist and barely able to leave the front desk to go to the bathroom. I always pack a lunch and take it with me and just try to take a bite when I can. Though it may not be the best lunch I take something quick and easy like a sandwich and some chips and maybe some yogurt ot string cheese as a little snack. I'm sure you could use your 15 min break to eat something like that.

I am pretty sure you are legally protected to have breaks! This would concern me if your in a company that doesn't make this a priority or care about the ramifications of not protecting it's employees.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I actually don't get a lunch break. I'm a receptionist and barely able to leave the front desk to go to the bathroom. I always pack a lunch and take it with me and just try to take a bite when I can. Though it may not be the best lunch I take something quick and easy like a sandwich and some chips and maybe some yogurt ot string cheese as a little snack. I'm sure you could use your 15 min break to eat something like that.

I am pretty sure you are legally protected to have breaks! This would concern me if your in a company that doesn't make this a priority or care about the ramifications of not protecting it's employees.

It depends on where you are, and the length of your shift. In Ontario, there are certain thresholds that trigger one or two mandatory 30-minute breaks throughout the day. When working a 4-hour shift, there is no required break. I'm not sure what the labor laws are like at the state and federal level in the US, but they're probably similar (even if the details are slightly off).