is it possible to lose 30 pounds in 3 months?

Options
Is it healthy/possible to lose 30 pounds in 3 months.I have already lost 26 pounds which now puts me at 188.6 at 5ft7.
I am going on vacation in a little over three months and want to lose 30 pounds. Whats everyones input and advice.

Replies

• viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    possible but very challenging! I would lower your expectation a touch.
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    They say that you should lose a pound a week, however, I lost 25 pounds in 4 months. That was moderate working out and counting calories. I am sure it is possible and healthy as long as you do it right.
  • simonsayzz
    simonsayzz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's possible but depends on how you're going about it. I have lost between 10-12 pounds on average per month since starting my program. Of course, the more you have to lose, the quicker it comes off....when you get closer to your goal, it's much more difficult! Good luck!
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you are compared to your goal weight/ideal BMI but once you get closer to that your weight loss will slow down. I would think it is doable since it is only 2.5 pounds a week for the next 12 weeks.

Currently part of a health challenge where people are losing anywhere from 24 to 50 pounds in 90 days so it can be done! Great job so far and keep your eyes on the goal ahead.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's possible - easier the heavier you are, but to lose it for you personally - I couldn't see a healthy way to do it.

I'd concentrate on doing heavy weights to change the appearance - that's the important thing after all. Obviosuly still do the counting cals thing and eating right, it's just instead of changing some arbitrary number on a scale, you'll actually effect a proper change.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i did my first 47lb in 4 months so yes. i was on a medically supervised extremely low cal, high protein diet though. i don't think its a healthy way to do it and didn't think i would do that kind of extreme diet but nothing else was working for me. wish i'd found MFP sooner. well done on your losses so far and good luck with the last 30lb - i'm sure they'll be off in no time.
  • Leo4891
    Leo4891 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was pretty close to loosing 30 pounds. I'm not that far off since I started 12 weeks ago. I used a combination of counting calories and jugging 4 or 5 times a week to do this. I recently had my annual health checkup and my numbers came out perfect other than I am still 10 pounds overweight. I was prehypertention and my cholesterol was pretty high, now I am goo. I feel pretty healthy and full of energy. It can be done if you are consistent and and have a good plan.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 in two months with moderate exercise and 1800 calories a day. But then again, when I started I had 127lbs to lose so it's coming off fairly quickly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you only have 30 left to lose, then it would be very hard to lose it in 3 months without starving yourself. But if you eat really well and exercise HARD (intensely) you may look like you lost 30 even if you've actually lost less.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At your current weight, no it will not be possible. If you were morbidly obese, sure. If you want to improve your body, stop worrying about weight, pick up some heavy weights and eat a moderate deficit (20% less than TDEE). You can probably lose 10-15+ lbs but you will cut more body fat and keep your muscle. Muscle is what makes you tight and lean.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    At your current weight, no it will not be possible.

false

it is possible but ill advised as she will lose significant muscle mass
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in 3 months and 6 months later I gained 20 pounds in 2 months. That's why I'm back here working on losing what came back. This is a possiblity when you lose weight so quickly. It can be done, but do you really want to go through that? Oh and I will mention I've been working on getting this 20 pounds off for 8 months. It's much harder this time probably because I did some damage losing the weight so fast. In those 8 months I've lost 3 pounds.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes I did 38 in 12 weeks so yes if you over 200 and just started but for your current your case I would say no.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is, but would only be healthy is you have 75+ lbs to lose, losing too fast will lead to a large % of the loss coming from lean muscle, if you don't have a lot to lose.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That's 2.5 pounds a week. It's unlikely unless you have a lot of weight to lose. And it wouldn't be healthy or likely to stay off.

But you could lose 15 pounds easily and work out and LOOK like you'd lost 30 by changing your body shape. I'd go for that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At your current weight, no it will not be possible.

false

it is possible but ill advised as she will lose significant muscle mass

I guess I should have wrote, that no it's not possible to do it in a healthy manor.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It is possible but it will require a lot of dedication. I wouldnt aim so high though. Maybe set your goal for 15lbs and when you beat it you'll feel even better instead of thinking how you didnt meet your 30lbs goal
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes.

But chances are that you'll only lose 10-15 lbs if you don't track everything religiously and work your butt off. Not that that's a bad thing, by any means...just not the 30 that you want.