Major sucess with higher calories!

Options

Replies

• Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I just redid my calories on the sight and it says I should be eating 2223 calories a day ???? thats kinda scarey Im only eating 1330 a day now :huh: :sick: :sick:
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my calories as well (started Monday) and already lost 2lbs. MFP had me set at 1200 to begin with back in January...I'd stick with it for a while then have a binge or something & give up then repeat the cycle. I finally bought a Bodymedia Fit Link and it has made all the difference in the world. Now I feel like I'm in total control of my calorie defecit. I know exactly how many calories I burn and can shoot for the defecit I want. I found out I burn an average of 2600 calories without exercise...who would have guessed that?? My lowest calorie day this week has been 1973 calories...woohoo! It is awesome to be able to eat, have energy and still lose weight :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    "I contacted hellitsdan and had him run my numbers to see what was up."

Could someone let me know how to do this please?

If you want to run them yourself, the following link is good:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/calorie-calculator.html

If you log your exercise into MFP, then exclude any exercise hours from this calculator as MFP accounts for these hours by adjusting your daily requirement. The number that it splits out = your TDEE which is the amount of calories you neet to maintain - take 500 calories off this to lose 1lb a week. You should then over-ride the requirement that MFP gives you. THe problem I find with the MFP calculator, people often just put they are sedentary as they have a 'desk job'. This does not account for all the walking around you tend to do in the day as well as in the evening. The calculator in the link I gave allows you to include this.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Have a look here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    How do I save this thread?

you just did :)

Just go to My Topics above, and it will show all topics you have posted in.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I like so many others on MFP was set to eat 1200 calories, but after reading all the above post I'm wondering if I need to up my daily calories too. But, my ? is.....what do I eat to increase those calories? Yeah, I could fill those extra calories w/crap food but then I'm afraid I'd gain back what I've worked hard to loose? Can anyone give me ideas on ways to eat more w/o eating "bad" calories? :smooched:

Some examples:

Nuts, eggs, avocado, edamame, seeds, cheese (but no too much), protein shakes, yoghurt, glass of milk, fruit
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Have a look here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Yes - THIS! I was going to post the same thing. Go to that site - all sorts of info (i got the link from Dan's profile, and his profile also said something about an MFP group coming soon, so stay tuned!) and calculators for you to enter all your info and find your body fat percentage and figure out what's healthy for you, and how much you should be eating - and it's almost overwhelming! :tongue: Dan recommended using the Military Body Fat Calculator, so that's the one I started with.

Check out the site, look around, take notes - good info!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories 2 weeks ago from 1250 to 1450 and so far so good! I'm losing :)
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    [/quote]If you want to run them yourself, the following link is good:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/calorie-calculator.html

If you log your exercise into MFP, then exclude any exercise hours from this calculator as MFP accounts for these hours by adjusting your daily requirement. The number that it splits out = your TDEE which is the amount of calories you neet to maintain - take 500 calories off this to lose 1lb a week. You should then over-ride the requirement that MFP gives you. THe problem I find with the MFP calculator, people often just put they are sedentary as they have a 'desk job'. This does not account for all the walking around you tend to do in the day as well as in the evening. The calculator in the link I gave allows you to include this.
    [/quote]

This would put my calories at 1500 if I want to lose 2 pounds a week and at 1800 for a 1.5 pound loss. MFP has me at 1200 for 2 pounds a week. It is hard to ignore what I've been taught for years and do the higher calories. Putting in ear plugs and holding nose as I jump into the deep end. :)
  • mslizareyes
    Options
    bump!
  • im_blessed
    im_blessed Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jessilynn1982
    jessilynn1982 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    *bookmarking!!
  • AussieGem
    AussieGem Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have read this entire thread twice and I am even more confused :sad:

MFP BMR = 2043
    Harris-Benedict BMR = 1991
    Katch-McArdle BMR = 1411
    TDEE = 2347 (according to Fat2Fit)

I am not quite sure what number of cals I should be consuming. I also weigh 269.5lbd and have a fat percentage of 59.2 :noway:

So if I eat above my BMR (net calories), would I lose weight because I have s#!t loads to lose?

I have no idea what I am doing - HELP!!!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have read this entire thread twice and I am even more confused :sad:

MFP BMR = 2043
    Harris-Benedict BMR = 1991
    Katch-McArdle BMR = 1411
    TDEE = 2347 (according to Fat2Fit)

I am not quite sure what number of cals I should be consuming. I also weigh 269.5lbd and have a fat percentage of 59.2 :noway:

So if I eat above my BMR (net calories), would I lose weight because I have s#!t loads to lose?

I have no idea what I am doing - HELP!!!

From helloitsdan profile page.

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool.
    The BMR tool will give exact calories to eat on a daily basis.
    Add 20% to this number to get your TDEE.
    For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat each.<<<<<<<
  • heybales
    Options
    Does this include shorties? I'm 4'-10" and love food.

If you were 30 yr female, 4'10", and 98 lbs, you would have an estimated healthy BMR of 1200, and TDEE would be higher yet of course.

So yes, eating at higher level, obviously not 1900, unless you are a gym fanatic, would be fine. Instructions in comments below.
  • heybales
    Options

it's on his profile page - helloitsdan.

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool. The BMR tool will give exact calories to eat on a daily basis. Add 20% to this number to get your TDEE. For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat each.<<<<<<<
  • heybales
    Options
    I just redid my calories on the sight and it says I should be eating 2223 calories a day ???? thats kinda scarey Im only eating 1330 a day now :huh: :sick: :sick:

and lowering your metabolism if underfeed, and getting less burn out of ALL daily activity.

helloitsdan profile instructions?

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!!
    To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools
  • heybales
    Options
    will somebody check my calculations for me? i just can't believe i am supposed to eat so much.

female, age 22, 5'9", 176 lbs, moderately active
    goal = 155 lbs

i got 2,540 for my BMR. i can't imagine losing weight eating that much since i've had so much success eating at net ~1400 for the past three months (lost 25 lbs). wtf? i have hit a little bit of a plateau, but i increased my net calories to ~1600, should i really increase it more?

You misread something, that was NOT your BMR given as 2540, but probably your TDEE.
    Did you do the process right?

helloitsdan profile instructions

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!!
    To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools