Major sucess with higher calories!

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I hope this will help me re-start the losing because even with changing my exercise routine and/or adding more burned calories the scale doesn't move!!!! Reading you this morning keep me from loosing it and stay aboard. I am following the 1470 cal. mFP gave me and many time I don't reach the total of cal/ day. I also thought that burning more. Cal. With more exercises would help me loose faster because of a greater deficit!!! . So if I burn between 450-600cal, do I have to eat them all back? Or should I consider doing less exercise? Thanks for your help. Imp. To mention that I am closer to 60 and my metabolic rate is slower.

The calculators should take changes to your metabolism due to age into account. And yes, you should eat your calories back. If you cannot eat them back, you may want to consider cutting back on cardio and adding strength training (not sure if you do that anyway). Strength training does not use up as many calories as cardio but has a bunch of other benefits. I would suggest you 'mix it up' between cardio and strength - they are both very good for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @heatmack
    Quick question, do I still count and eat my excersise if I follow the lightly active number of 1862 that was calculated by Fit 2 Fat? Or is it already included in that number?
    I'm a nurse that works 12 hour shifts and walks for most of that 12 hours 3-4 days a week but then I have several days off in a row (anywhere from 2-6)where I'm not that active but I exercise. How would I calculate this??

That level you select should include all activity, and then you would not eat back exercise.

But Lightly Active is not correct for your level for sure. If you truly think it is inbetween (and I'd think inbetween higher levels actually), you can pick a number half-way between.

If you underestimate thinking you are making something better, you'll just be shooting yourself in the metabolism!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gratefulkat06
    Options
    I'm getting really frustrated. I am over 250lbs, and my MD told me to stick to a 1500 cal diet! This has got to be insane. I try to listen to my body, eat when I'm hungry etc....
    Figured I would stick with it for a while and see what happens. I have lost 55 lbs since August, and have been on a major plateau for about a month.
    Grrrr
    :sad:
  • heatmack
    heatmack Posts: 29
    Options
    @heatmack
    Quick question, do I still count and eat my excersise if I follow the lightly active number of 1862 that was calculated by Fit 2 Fat? Or is it already included in that number?
    I'm a nurse that works 12 hour shifts and walks for most of that 12 hours 3-4 days a week but then I have several days off in a row (anywhere from 2-6)where I'm not that active but I exercise. How would I calculate this??

That level you select should include all activity, and then you would not eat back exercise.

But Lightly Active is not correct for your level for sure. If you truly think it is inbetween (and I'd think inbetween higher levels actually), you can pick a number half-way between.

If you underestimate thinking you are making something better, you'll just be shooting yourself in the metabolism!

Thanks for clearing this up for me, I'm going to up my calories to the Moderate active and see what happens!
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    BUMP.

Great Discussion, this post should be stickied!!!!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm getting really frustrated. I am over 250lbs, and my MD told me to stick to a 1500 cal diet! This has got to be insane. I try to listen to my body, eat when I'm hungry etc....
    Figured I would stick with it for a while and see what happens. I have lost 55 lbs since August, and have been on a major plateau for about a month.
    Grrrr
    :sad:

55lbs is awesome!

Do you have to stay at 1500 for ever, or will the doctor adjust your goals as your weight drops?
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I seemed to have hit a plateau. I always eat my exercise calories back. Sometimes I was feeling like the only reason I would get on the treadmill would be because I was so darn hungry and needed to eat. So I just adjusted my calories so I am set to just lose 1/2 lb a week instead of more. There is not that big of a switch from 1200, just 160 cals more, but psychologically it is really hard for me to eat more than 1200 plus my exercise cals. I sure hope this helps and I can get past the not eating my extra calories....
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    bump
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    Bump
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was just using "lightly active" because of my kid aspect. So since I also exercise 5-6 days I should at least use "moderately active" instead (moderate exercise 3-5 days a week) which says it is 2010 calories? Today I customized my MFP goal to 2010---and right now it looks like this for example:
    Goal 2010
    Food 1994
    Exercise -377
    =Net 1617.
    So since I am NOT going for a NET calorie of 2010---then technically I only have 16 calories left correct?

That is correct dead on.
    So nice easy goal to keep in mind.

Now you might record in Check-in those other measurements that got you to this goal figure.
    That way 10 lb down the road, or drain, you go back and get new values to confirm still at good goal level.

You may have noticed the paragraph above the table values mentions they are doing all this at goal weight, so it really won't change.
    Thanks again for all your help. How soon do you think we would see a change on the scale after we up our calories? If we have been under-eating will we see results almost immediately or will it take a few days?
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks again for all your help. How soon do you think we would see a change on the scale after we up our calories? If we have been under-eating will we see results almost immediately or will it take a few days?

How long did it take for the metabolism to drop? 3 days to 3 weeks or more?

Could take a couple weeks to come back up. At first the body is going to think this is a gift to store, in case the insanity really continued.
    First week of small increase usually sees benefit from NO exercise, just walking during your normal workout time.
    Why?
    Body isn't trying to repair and recover, sees the energy it is getting is fine for what it needs, and allows metabolism to come up.
    Besides which, on first week slight increase of maybe 200 daily, you still aren't at BMR level perhaps. And walking is mainly fat burning.
    Like others, you may actually burn fat during this increase.
  • loves03
    loves03 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This sounds great but I'm one of those who is scared to up my calories :( I've been at 1200 calories and adding exercise (not eating back calories) and the scale hasn't been moving. Just a few days ago I started eating my exercise calories back. I did the tools and here is what I got:

BMR: 1676 sedentary lifestyle
    TDEE: 1984

So I should be eating around 1600 calories a day plus my exercise calories? Am I doing this right? Thanks in advance :)
  • heybales
    Options
    This sounds great but I'm one of those who is scared to up my calories :( I've been at 1200 calories and adding exercise (not eating back calories) and the scale hasn't been moving. Just a few days ago I started eating my exercise calories back. I did the tools and here is what I got:

So I should be eating around 1600 calories a day plus my exercise calories? Am I doing this right? Thanks in advance :)

Don't be scared, you caused your own stall by your diet/exercise routine already. You can only go 2 directions now, hopefully you know now which way is wrong.

And if you really will eat back exercise calories, you want the daily ABOVE your BMR by an amount - so 1700.

Otherwise, the method that is being discussed is:
    From helloitsdan profile page.

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool.
    The BMR tool will give exact calories to eat on a daily basis when you select the correct activity level.
    Add 20% to this number to get your TDEE. TDEE - eating = deficit you would have.
    For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat each.<<<<<<<
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I took this picture today, I am 43 years old and just got to my goal! I did it by eating. I would say trying anywhere between 1400 and 1600 would work. Good luck, I swear I could not believe it either, but I promise it does. The proof is this picture and another one of my back in my profile.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Ok so I am still a little confused I want to make sure I am getting this.
    I am 5 foot 2 I weight 127lbs
    my fat percentage is 36.1 according to the military tool on fat 2 fit
    I then plugged that into the BMR and for moderate I have kids and work out 5 days a week using Chalean extreme a combo of weight training and cardio. It says I should be consuming 2072 calories a day. Is this correct? Now my question is do I need to net 2072 calories? Which means I need to eat back all my exercise calories or do I just need to consume this many calories in food and then my work out will be my deficit calories? I would like to get back down to 115lbs but if I don't lose pounds I am okay with that as long as I lose inches and body fat? So will someone please clarify all this for me and make sure that I am on the right track. Thank you all for your input and help.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to read this!!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Woohoo! :drinker:

Welcome to the dark side, where we really do have cookies, and have enough calories to eat them.

HAHAHA! And wine.....
    AMEN!!!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was just advised/decided to up my calories today after having the same problem!
    It's soo soo encouraging to read this! :D
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump :o)