lets ban light house cleaning from mfp

Options

Replies

• AWME
    AWME Posts: 12
    Options
    What?! I can log that?! AWESOME!!

I agree! All this time I've been missing out on logging it?!
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    For some people....myself at times....it is too hard to categorize our lives as sedentary....slightly active....etc. I have some days when I can not move away from my desk and some days that I run all day long. I CHOOSE to leave my activity level at sedentary to cover me on those sedentary days. Therefore.....if I spend a lot of the day walking or yes....even working in the yard or around the house....I LOG it. Now, I would hardly call myself a lazy person. I work a full time job, make time to run 2-3 miles nearly every day as well as a long run on weekends, and I keep up with my house and meals and usually actually sit down around 10pm for 1 hour per day of TV time. Who's to judge me on what I log or don't log. My little ticker speaks for itself. I think that if some people spent more time WORKING and less time stirring up s#!%, their tickers might be a little further along.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have to do laundry at the laundry mat, and I live on the 2nd floor of a house. Usually when I get time to go there's about 5 baskets of it. That's 10 times up and down the stairs going there, and 10 times up and down the stairs coming back. Plus everything in between like carrying to and from the car at the mat and putting it away. Again, no I do not log it, but it's definitely a workout and just a bonus for me :)
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 story, 6 bedroom house, which is mostly hardwood floors. When I spend 2 hours mopping, scrubbing, and going up and down stairs, I SWEAT! That said... I don't generally log it as exercise, but I don't doubt it burns some calories.
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to climb the steps of a lighthouse? Not even thinking about mopping each step as you go and scrubbing the walls! Anyone who has committed to lighthouse cleaning has undertaken a serious task and you should be ashamed for making...er...light of their work!

HAHA! Awesome. But I agree with many of the other posters. As long as someone is burning calories, they're trying. When I weighed 280 lbs, it was all I could do to get light housework done. It wasn't a matter of laziness. I was SERIOUSLY obese and had trouble getting around. Now that I weigh half that much, I am more active because I choose to be. To each his own.
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I first started here, I was over 400 lbs, and "light house cleaning" left me in a sweat with back pain so severe I could cry. It's not about whether or not it's work for YOU, it's about whether or not it's work for the person doing it. I know you think you were being funny, but really, you were belittling and ridiculing the efforts of others. I don't enter "light house cleaning" anymore unless I've gone on an hour-long sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming binge that leaves me sweating. Otherwise, that's not exercise for ME anymore. But it is for someone, and I'm not about to giggle at them and tell them that their efforts aren't worthy of consideration.

You should try that.

This. A hundred thousand ga-jillion times, this.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!! My thoughts exactly!!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Wow, I bet it's fun to be YOUR friend. WTF do you care what someone else considers exercise? Frankly I NEVER clean my own house, I pay someone to do it. So those rare times when I do a deep clean I have worn my HRM and I do break a sweat. Of course I'm a fat@ss so what's strenuous and burns calories for me probably wouldn't do a thing for someone as fit and awesome as yourself.

It's actually quite fun being his friend :D
    I see his point and I see yours also. The bigger problem is the fact you got so worked up over a silly post
    Also light housecleaning does not do anything calories burned wise bc if it had I would be in great shape because I clean a mean house DAILY!

So if I run 5 miles a day a shouldn't count that as exercise? Great logic.

Of course not. What you do every day is just part of your LIFE, not exercise! ;-P You only get to log stuff you don't do all the time. Or maybe it's stuff the judges think is "real" exercise...it can get pretty complicated. So just assume that we should ban logging as exercise anything you do daily or almost daily.... ;-X Because that "does not do anything burned calorie wise." I guess the researchers who said otherwise are just not as smart as the people at MFP, what with all those doctorates and all...

Levine, J.A., Eberhardt, N.L., and Jensen, M.D., Role of Nonexercise Activity Thermogenesis in Resistance to Fat Gain in Humans. Science, 8 January 1999, pp. 212-214.

I just really wanna buy a heart rate monitor to see what my "saturday cleaning routine" burns. I sweat, I get winded (especially on my hardwood floors) and I feel if after!
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    if sex is not in there why is house cleaning. my vacuum is heavy and can give me a burn, but sex is a better burn,
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Nooo don't ban it!

People will be fat AND live in a dirty house. Why would you want that?

Clearly the OP is an evil alien sent from the future to destroy humanity.
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ok so I read this as "lighthouse cleaning". I was thinking "that'd be an AWESOME way to exercise!" :blushing:

But seriously, if it works for people to include that, then that's for them to decide. They're up on their feet, not vegetating in front of the idiot box. Personal choices, one step at a time.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Hey! Cleaning an entire light house is hard work....
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    ANY HOUSEWORK I DO GETS LOGGED, light, vigorous or otherwise.:smile:

LOOK, I even logged the time I played in the kiddie pool with my son today :huh: .... and I AM PROUD OF IT!!! :tongue:

so if that bursts your bubble:explode: :noway: :grumble: than go play in someone elses backyard :laugh:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    A 'house fly' is listed on mfp as a food in the data base. I say, don't ban it because some people eat them. To each his own although personally I'd prefer one dipped in chocolate.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Let's also ban going out for a walk because that's not strenuous enough. Anything less than a 300 calorie burn is not exercise.

Now that the sarcasm is out of the way...

You have to move and you have to eat. What you put into your pie hole is 80 percent of weight loss (figures not verified.) Maybe the people who log light house work as exercise have been so unmotivated for so long and they're just now trying to change things up. Good for them. That light house work is going to turn into a walk or a jog or Zumba.

Let's encourage one another instead of calling the people who don't work out as hard as someone else lazy.

Oops... there goes me trying to climb the stairs for 15 minutes (btw, I could go longer than 5 and only logged 57 calories... but dang it! It was freakin' worth it! My calves were killing me the next day) cause it doesn't log more than 300 calories. :wink:
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    if sex is not in there why is house cleaning. my vacuum is heavy and can give me a burn, but sex is a better burn,

agreed. I want to buy an HRM just to log sex because I am sure it would be a size-able burn!
  • ZumbaBeast86
    Options
    What if you're not alone in the shower but didn't want to post what you were actually doing in there?

FTW!
  • Daella
    Daella Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I put in "restless leg syndrome" since reading that a really good bouncy leg can eat 25 calories per hour.

In a 6-8 hour day, that's nothing to scoff at!

I'm always tapping my legs! I'm not nervous, it's a habit.
  • Frisky_CoastalNative
    Options
    I personally don't like "big brother" watching over me and making choices for the things I do. I know people with health issues and any kind of movement is good, let it be light housekeeping. People don't like to be judged or ruled...just saying
  • brittnicoledav
    Options
    I second that- I really do - I understand the concept that any movement helps, but my question is - was the house always a mess before the journey of weight loss started - how about the cooking and preparation of meals, really?

Any movement does help but the every day chores are every day chores.

I am going to the dark side for being judgmental... *sigh*

YES agree! sorry but there is a difference between exercise and daily activity people!
  • klkpff
    klkpff Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 years old, I've had 3 rotator cuff repairs, an achilles tendon repair and a hip replacement. After all the repairs for torn tendons even from doing water aerobics, believe me, walking slowly, raking leaves, light housekeeping are all exercise!!
This discussion has been closed.