Day 365, 67lbs and the journey to Onederland

Options
cjs3001
cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
So today is officially day 365! And what a journey it has been.

I started a year ago at 265lbs, miserable and ill. I read in the Metro that someone downloaded a calorie counting app and lost 6 stone with it so I thought that it couldn’t hurt and maybe I’d lose a bit of weight. So I put all my food in, tried to do a little more exercise and the weight started coming off. I started building up a nice network of lovely people on here and it just all seemed quite simple. Yes there have been some difficult times. I really hurt my back in May last year and that limited what I could do for a while, and again in the Autumn. I’ve had some lady issues that are still somewhat unresolved but aside from these hiccups, it hasn’t been too bad. Obviously Christmas was a bit of a challenge (and then my birthday in January) but I decided to not let it get to me and yes I didn’t lose any weight from pretty much the beginning of December to the middle of Feb but I was happy with it because it’s real life. There are going to be times when life just gets on top of you and you’ve just got to get on with it.
Some of the things I have achieved this year I never thought would be possible. I started the C25K programme and went running with a friend 3 nights a week until my back got the better of me. I lost SIXTY SEVEN pounds. 67! That’s more than I could have dreamed of. Instead of forcing myself into horribly restrictive size 18’s – because I refused to cross the big 2-0 and buy a size 20 or above – I’m now wearing comfy falling down 16’s and 14’s. I’ve built a little gym in my house. A gym! I’ve met some lovely people on here that I hope stick with MFP (and me!) for a long time to come.

I’ve also picked up a few things on the way. Diets don’t work. I’ve logged in every day for the past year and the amount of ‘friends’ I had that tried to eat 500 calories a day or to eat only a minute amount of carbs or sugar or fat that have miraculously disappeared is hardly surprising. If you have been eating 2500 calories of crap a day, don’t go down to 1000 ‘clean’ calories because you will just give up . Yes low carb/cal/fat/sugar and clean diets work for people but they very rarely work as a first effort and that’s why people get disheartened and bury their sorrows in a bucket of chicken.

HOWEVER. It’s totally do-able. If anyone is thinking ‘oh I can’t stick to my calories’ or ‘oh the scales haven’t moved’ – so what? Rome wasn’t built in a day, slowly slowly catchy monkey, good things come to those who wait, all that crap, it’s over used but it’s true. Be honest with yourself, be honest with your friends and even if the scales don’t move much for a while they will do and you getting up and walking an extra 20 minutes to work a day might not seem much but it’ll be so good for you in the long run that the short term doesn’t matter.

As for goals for the next 365 days – keep at it. I’ve still got a fair bit of weight to lose (though how much will be decided when I feel right) and a lot of toning and fitness to do. My main goal this year is to complete C25K. My dad and I have started again and I really want to achieve it. I really want to tone up my arms and stomach and to be fitter, even if I’m not much lighter. I’d like to lose another 30lbs or so but that’s less important to me right now.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. Now for the fun part.

gross.jpg

okay.jpg

stomach.jpg

As you can see, I think my biggest issue is going to be my belly so if anyone has any tips on how they managed to shrink and tone theirs that’d be great. And no comments starting with ‘Mine looked like that after I had my baby too’ – no baby, just fat!

Replies

• sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You have had an awesome journey thus far. You should be so very proud. You look totally awesome. Keep up the great work and looking forward to the next 365 days :-)
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I think (I THINK - don't kill me other posters just because I might be wrong) you may find with the amount you have lost and the amount of belly overhang you have, the only way you'll get rid of that is with surgery. As I said, I THINK!

You look fanfookingtastic by the way! I still have another 30 lbs to go and hoping to do this in another 6 months as I have done this last lot.

You are an inspiration to everyone!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't think surgery is the way to go. I had about the similar hang in my stomach area when I started this. I find the weights in my arms and stomach area the hardest to get rid of. The exercises that have really helped me are things like zumba, P90x and 30DS. Just make sure that you get some core exercises in every week and you'll see the skin in the stomach area starting to tighten up. Are you doing strength training yet. Start doing weights. This has really helped my arms ( I have a long way to go in terms of toning, but i am starting to see a difference). This just takes time but you are young and your skin should be able to tighten up.
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous...incredible job!
    And from what I've read elsewhere, don't worry *too* much about the extra skin issue...apparently, it can take up to 2 years for the skin to totally catch up with the new you. In the meantime, the common wisdom seems to be lots of water and toning exercise to get stuff as firm as possible!
    Keep up the great work...and I hope to have a similar story to tell 365 days from now (I just started my journey!)!
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • clairedance
    Options
    Way to go! You are inspiring!

As for the "hang," I have that too even though I haven't lost much weigh yet. I've heard that weight training and drinking water can help with that, but not completely remove it. But, like you said, "that's real life." In your success pictures, you are CLEARLY having a great time and you should be so proud of what you have done!
  • amydavies7
    amydavies7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Caroline, you are amazing and a true inspiration!!! WELL DONE x x x x
  • Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    Options
    You look fabulous! Wtg on your loss! I am sure that I will have a lot of toning when I lose more. I hope surgery is not the only way. I've heard a lot of water and weights help. Maybe it will take a little longer. Regardless, you should be super proud of yourself! You really do look great but I bet the feeling is even more awesome!!
  • countryrayne
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I feel I am in the same position that you were when you started. Your story is very insirational!!! Way to go!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I just had to say that it is only Awesome!
    Inspiring!
    Love the attitude. Real life happens, but keep going.
  • wendrz
    wendrz Posts: 118
    Options
    Thank you!! Thank You!! and Thank You! What great inspiration you have shared with all of us. Just looking at the pictures themselves you can see how much happier you are, your face naturally shows that. keep up your journey and I am excited to hear how your C25K goes. I have noticed the same "belly hang" as well, not happy about it..... but just keep up the good fight and it will get better. I have done the 30 day shred and it seemed to help tighten it up a bit.
  • triciabecerra
    triciabecerra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My tummy seems like its giving me fits. Let me know what works
  • Claiire_Louise
    Options
    you truely are my inspiration!!!

slowly slowly catchy monkey and good things come to those who wait are my 2 most overused phrases also but like u say they r so true.

My motto is 'its not a diet its a lifestyle change' and what a change you have made.

keep up the excellent work xx
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Amazing Job!!!!! Love those collarbones :)
  • bck80
    bck80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!!! you are very inspiring........ i hope you reach your goal and run the 5K.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Awesome Story!! Happy 365th!! You look fab, keep up the good work :smile:
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Great job! Very inspirational!
  • stephcap
    stephcap Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! Your attitude is refreshingly hones...weight loss is hard and it takes hard work and effort. You're inspiring me to keep at it and not give up.
    Thanks!
    p.s. As for the belly fat etc....start strength training, it is the key to firming up and so good for your overall health in so many different aspects
  • cindyptacek
    cindyptacek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    great advice! great story! congrats!!
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration. Thanks for posting!! A huge difference between your before and after.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!