Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    seasoned salt
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    These may have been mentioned already, but I use a lot of the "spice blends" from McCormick. You may have to watch sodium on some of them. I sprinkle them on before I steam the veggies. Seems to really get the flavor in them that way.

Seasoned Pepper Blend (black and bell peppers)
    Salad Supreme
    Parmesan Herb

Also, I can't remember the brand, but there are powdered "shake" cheeses - White Cheddar and Sharp Cheddar that we sprinkle on after steaming.

Good luck!!
  • ashie83
    ashie83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I may have to try out a few of this in the next few day! Yummmmyyy
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with butter, salt, and pepper? It doesn't take much butter to make your veggies taste better, and fat isn't bad for you. As long as it fits into your calorie budget, and it's real food, eat what you want.

This is very true! But nutritional yeast is also yummy. Sounds weird, but I like it! :bigsmile:

I need to get some of that. I have heard it's amazing on popcorn.
  • windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I looked up the answer to your question in my favorite cooking guide, which I won't name
    since I'm not promoting the guide, just using it.

Cauliflower doesn't "steam" well because it tends to overcook and get soggy. It also loses much of its flavor
    along with many of its nutrients, including minerals, water soluble vitamins (such as C and B-complex vitamins) and health promoting phytonutrients. Chop it up (quarter the florets) and eat it raw if you don't have time to saute it in some chicken
    broth for 5 minutes. Al dente cooking is the best alternative for cauliflower.

Additional flavoring might be: curry powder, tumeric (which is milder), capers, garlic, minced anchovies, parmesan cheese, minced parsley or even cilantro. Tamari sauce (soy) should be used sparingly for its sodium content is high. We often make a melted cheddar cheese sauce (low fat) to enhance both cauliflower and broccoli as a main dish.

Carrots steam just fine in only 5 minutes if you cut them into 1/4" slices. If you need some flavoring, render some orange juice
    into a sauce to pour over the carrots.

Broccoli steams fine too, in only 5 minutes if you break down the florets to smaller sizes. If its undercooked it will still taste good. Buy it fresh and serve it hot.

If it's brown or overcooked, I wouldn't eat it if it was covered with swiss chocolate.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of using a small spoonful of bbq sauce or honey mustard salad dressing to flavor veggies.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with butter, salt, and pepper? It doesn't take much butter to make your veggies taste better, and fat isn't bad for you. As long as it fits into your calorie budget, and it's real food, eat what you want.

I agree. I use butter and salt.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use Club House salad herb mix...but usually I just make them plain, they do taste really good and although my family isn't into the whole "health" thing like i am, they still eat 'em
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Okay. Here is what I would do. Under steam the vegetables just a touch. Drain them and toss them with balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp of olive oil, cracked black pepper and minced fresh garlic. Put the veggies on a baking sheet and broil them for about 3 minutes. So delicious!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Garlic and a teensy bit of olive oil go a long way. I usually also add sea salt and crushed red pepper. Mmmmm...
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce! :)

Might as well use salt lol Both soooo good lol.

I uses the same seasonings I used to grill my meat, 0 calories :)
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I add garlic while they steam.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Garlic and a teensy bit of olive oil go a long way. I usually also add sea salt and crushed red pepper. Mmmmm...
    This is what I typically do and it is super tasty!
  • sillylily1960
    sillylily1960 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I put Mrs. Dash on anything and everything.
  • RuthlessB
    RuthlessB Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I spray Butter flavored Pam on the vegetables and then steam them....you can spray ALL you want....cause NO CALORIES!!!!.... and GREAT flavor!!....Hope this helps....
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash, like the generic one or the lemon pepper one depending on the veggies. It's no sodium, no calories...but lots of flavor to keep the steamed veggies healthy!
  • wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I marinade them in Italian Salad Dressing then steam.
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    Low-salt soy sauce
    Turmeric
    Cayenne Pepper
    Garlic
    Salsa
    Mixed herbs & spices
    Cheese

To name a few
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I slice a lemon really thin and layer it on the bottom of my steamer before I put the veggies in. Also a little lemon juice on steamed broccoli is my favorite snack :)