A random rant on paleness...

Options

Replies

• galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the whole Italian/Native American thing, during Summer, I get REALLY dark. But in winter, my olive tones can make me look a little jaundiced.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Golly, being a "vintage girl " (I dress entirely in 1930s-1940s clothing) I go to great lengths to stay as pale as possible. Factor 50 sunblock every day, even if it is overcast, and buy makeup a shade lighter than I need to accentuate it. :-)
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of Greek and Italian in me, so when I was a kid I was BROWN from playing outside. I hated it! I went to Catholic school and all of my friends were Irish. I would cry and tell my parents that I wanted to be Irish. My step-dad told me what his mother told him, "There are two kinds of people in this world, Italians and those that want to be." Gotta love Italian families!

Embrace your paleness because there is someone out there who wishes they were pale!
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I too am pale, blonde and german/norwegian. I like the moisturizing self tanners such as Jergens Natural Glow. At least on my skin they look very natural, not orangey.

http://www.drugstore.com/jergens-natural-glow-express-body-moisturizer-mediumtan-skin-tones/qxp184825?catid=158231

:glasses:
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    tiip.jpg

i look funnie with a tan....bet you would to

irishcarbomb.jpg
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    For me, I have really bad skin issues and the only thing that seems to help is tanning. For 10 years doctors ahve tried every medication, remedy and tanning is always the one that helps. I just wish I could afford to do it more often!

I have skin issues too, and they do get better in the summertime - but I still require the massively high SPF sunscreen. I just have to use the Neutrogena stuff so it doesn't clog pores. I've never been recommended to tan artificially or using a booth.

To the guy who posted about having tanning included in his membership:
    1) so do I - doesn't mean I use it
    2) if it works for you, that's great
    3) my bf tans without trying and looks great, but doesn't tell me I look bad because I don't/can't
    4) he also doesn't tell everyone how awesome he looks
    5) therefore there's no reason to tell us how awesome you look unless you don't believe it yourself
    6) I'm truly sorry to hear of your parents' circumstances
    7) your parents' circumstances don't change the fact that melanoma is a very real and life-threatening disease
    8) I knew someone several years ago who was hospitalized and nearly died due to melanoma from excessive tanning
    9) stop belittling this conversation.

xo
  • ensoleille
    Options
    I would rather be pale than patchy tangoed like most of my friends XD :D
  • ShadowSylph
    Options
    Yes, being tanned does make you look thinner - it creates more shadow, more definition. It DOES. Just like darker clothing makes you look slimmer... anything darker looks smaller, period.

but do you really want wrinkles and cancer? I'm pasty white, but I can tan dark... after I burn and blister :huh: It's not worth it anymore - I'm 28, and have a forehead wrinkle. lol, no more tanning for me. Whatever, no big deal.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    oops
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My mother was killed by a drunk driver this past November. My father hasn't been released from the trauma center yet either. His projected success at a full recovery is..marginal at best.

So yeah, real problems.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I lost my father , stepfather and grandmother all within a year so I know sorrow. It sounds like you may have some depression (the fact that you don't see cancer as a problem suggests this), you may benefit from talking to someone.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think body builders tan because it does make everything show more. I heard that on Dr. Oz. just a thought. Maybe plain, pale is just better for hiding.

Competitive bodybuilders have to get up on stage under extremely bright lights and need the extra color so the detail doesn't get all washed out under the lights. There have been discussions on here before saying that most of them are super-dark on stage from fake tan that washes off a few days later, not from excessively using tanning beds, b/c they don't want to age their skin. I'm sure some do fake-tan and some do tanning beds, though, based on personal preference and whether they're worried about future wrinkles and life-threatening skin diseases or not.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Im mexican haha not from mexico but yea sry I like to say that. as I BARELY can even speak spanish. but um my skin is a weird pale not white pale but like an olive off color pale. sometimes I look in the mirror and it looks like im siick but im not. its just my skin color. you cant really tell from pics but in person more...I HATE IT. but I wouldnt want to be darker either.. so im stuck

i'm mexican too though i guess the correct term for us would be mexican american and i too am a weird light tan. many think i'm light for a mexican hahahaha but definitely not white girl status. i'm okay with my color.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am a darker complexion but during the winter i use sunless tanning lotions. I get a brand called Sun Labs, it is awesome nad mix a pump with my regular lotion. You would never tell unless I mess up around my fingers and wrists. If it bothers you do something about it.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    TAN in a CAN, baby!! If anyone knows so good ones please list!!!

Sun Labs
    St. Tropez
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    All colors are beautiful! We just always want the color/ hair/etc. we don't have.

LOL, I hear that. I'd be happy with a little more hair, but then I'd have to deal with coloring that so, I'm good!!!
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think pale skin is beautiful, you should be proud that you have such a lovely skin color♥

I agree pale skin it is beautiful..I also love them super dark also......Guess I just love women :love:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Embrace your paleness.
    I used to hate it
    now i just embrace it and tell myself all the stuff that looks better when you ARE pale.
    My eyes look bluer with my fair skin
    Eyeliner looks more dramatic
    My freckles scatter my cheeks and shoulders and are not hidden by a tan
    My dark hair with my pale skin is a pleasing contrast to my hubby ;)
    My tattoos stand out more
    Red lipstick & Pale skin = FANTASTICALLY beautiful and retro.

EMBRACE THE PALE!!!!

lol
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm pale for a pacific islander, since my dad is irish. i bask in the sun because it feels good, not for the benefit of looking thinner or whatever. Never even crossed my mind. But at the same time, I love being pale, fat or not. Better than tanned into a leather couch.
  • ShadowSylph
    Options
    ...into a leather couch.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am pale and I love it! I think ivory skin is beautiful, just as much as olive-toned skin that tans well.