Need to vent about food diaries.

Replies

• DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    I choose to publish mine because it helps me be accountable. If I know that someone is going to be looking at it, I'm less likely to eat junk (even though I want to).

I have my diary public but I still eat what I want to. I couldn't care less if someone likes what I'm eating or not. This is MY body and MY life and I'm not losing weight for anyone else by myself. I personally think its nuts that people would care what I do or don't eat. I find it a bit judgemental.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,860 Member
    I am also not friends with idiots. Just sayin!

Well, other than me. Derrrrrrrrrrrr. ;-)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    I really wish that instead it published 'X completed their food diary and was within 10% of calorie goal for the day!' or something similar.

I would much rather be +5 calories than -500.

This is an excellent idea. You should post this as a suggestion.

I totally agree. Also, Juwaack68 - I saw your post in the Success Stories forum and WOW!! Stories like yours help so much when I'm losing motivation.

Thanks! Glad I can help others stay motivated. :)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Oh, and I totally agree with your topic of people posting comments when they haven't looked at someone's diary.

Today was my 70th logged-in day. One of my friends commented about how great my logging has been. But I'm currently on vacation and haven't logged since Friday of last week. I know her heart was in the right place, but.....I even posted that I am not logging anything in posts on my profile. Oh well.....
  • confuzzledwife
    confuzzledwife Posts: 142 Member
    but what really gets me is people who weigh and log .1 or .2 weight loss daily...whats the point?? :grumble: i weigh myself daily but only log once a week!! i dont bother with the pointwhatevers i simply go for the whole numbers, i wouldn't feel like i'd done any real work if i logged my weight daily i like to see a full 2lbs or so at the end of the week, i know ive done a good job over the week and feel happy with mysefl that ive done it!!
    ive actually unfriended 2 or 3 people on here for that pointwhatever weight loss logging it truely irritates the hell outa me!! :devil:

hahaaha so now i feel better for saying my 2pence worth!! i dont care what anyone thinks of what ive said, its my opinion im allowed to voice it!! :laugh:

I'm actually one of those "point whatever" people! lol.. I actually bought a new scale that shows the point whatever.. and for me it really has been a great motivator. I know, I shouldn't weigh myself daily, even knowing this I STILL do it.. ocd maybe? But even seeing the scale go down 2 points every couple of days really keeps me going.... my old scale didn't have the point whatever system and I would weigh myself and not seeing a difference everyday annoyed the heck out of me! :smile:
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    I like to comment to others diaries - on how I enjoy reading that other people will eat REAL FOOD. I love when check out someone else's diary and you can tell that THAT IS REALLY WHAT THEY EAT. People who only eat about 500-1000 calories a day scare me.

17969513.png
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    I totally agree, being under your calorie goal is NOT a good thing. I have to say I am guilty of it so often. I think I need to start adding my dinner in at lunch time so i see how many more calories I still need and can have something in the afternoon instead of 10pm. My diary is set so my friends can see it.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Don't judge the content of people's diary's. All I really look for is calories and protein and adequate fat intake. The rest really don't matter for weight loss purposes.
  • LaylaSparkles
    LaylaSparkles Posts: 51 Member
    I know I am not eating properly even though I am under my calorie goals. I try to eat properly but I am just starting out. I have no idea what is good for me what is bad (well except for the obvious things) I would love to have people read my diaries and help to learn what are good carbs, what are bad carbs. Give suggestions on some meals and to all around help me to learn to be a better me. I have never had to diet before, and I used to always work out and weight was never a problem. So, now that I am paying for not eating healthier i need to learn.

I would not like it for people to say way to go your doing a good job only to find out that I am not eating the right things...lol
    I need help to learn and if any of you can offer up constructive criticism and suggestions, please feel free to do so. I would greatly appreciate it
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    i must say that this is something that kinda gripes at me...if your not going to bother looking at what people have eaten why bother to comment :grumble: i will only comment on something that has been logged, as a lady said ealier being in the UK a lot of the foods listed on US & Canandian diary's are so completely different i've never even heard of them and i will ask!! but what really gets me is people who weigh and log .1 or .2 weight loss daily...whats the point?? :grumble: i weigh myself daily but only log once a week!! i dont bother with the pointwhatevers i simply go for the whole numbers, i wouldn't feel like i'd done any real work if i logged my weight daily i like to see a full 2lbs or so at the end of the week, i know ive done a good job over the week and feel happy with mysefl that ive done it!!
    ive actually unfriended 2 or 3 people on here for that pointwhatever weight loss logging it truely irritates the hell outa me!! :devil:

hahaaha so now i feel better for saying my 2pence worth!! i dont care what anyone thinks of what ive said, its my opinion im allowed to voice it!! :laugh:

I log once a week and sometimes it is just a point something. You think I shouldnt log at all unless it's at least a pound? That'd be kinda harsh some weeks I really need that point whatever! Especially now because I'm so close to goal.
  • I comment on peoples diaries to give them support. I don't really care what they have eaten, that is their business. And when people haven't reached their goals, I don't ignore them, that would give them a sense of failing themselves and others. I comment by asking how their day went and if they did anything fun. I don't think someone should be left out because they didn't meet the expectations of another person. My diary doesn't come close to some of my friends diaries, but they never criticize me, and you know why? Because they are my friends and anyone who is losing weight knows criticism would push me away. I never understood why people would delete a friend just because their diary wasn't visible or had the wrong food choices on it.... to me that's just dumb. We are not in school with a curriculum to follow, and if we fail we get kicked out. This is simply a guide to help those who wish to use it. People might look at mine and say "damn....." BUT, those people looking have no idea what my diet was like before I joined MFP, so should keep that disapproval to themselves.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    It's amazing how people interpret things. Just because I said that I don't agree with posting a positive comment when someone is starving themselves or eating junk, does not mean that I have ever posted a nasty comment because of what they are doing. Please note: at NO point did I ever say that I write negative or judgmental comments on my friends' diaries.

Everything I wrote about trying to improve my health and my diet was written about MY health and MY diet. I used to eat junk all the time. Fast food all the time. Sure, if I ate a little less of it, I lost a little weight. But it still was not good for me. I'm trying to improve how I see and do things. For me, major weightless and becoming fit, is a lifestyle change.

I aired my opinion, it came across harsher than I expected. But apparently, there are plenty of you out there that are just as opinionated as me and also some that are just plain rude or mean.

Good luck to all with your health and weight loss!! :flowerforyou:
  • whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    I choose to publish mine because it helps me be accountable. If I know that someone is going to be looking at it, I'm less likely to eat junk (even though I want to).

I agree! :flowerforyou:
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    OP, I don't agree that people are doing it blindly. I will always pull my friends up short if they are eating too little, but even if they've had a **** day, some of them need encouragement like "Big day, well logged" rather than WTG - I condone that cheeseburger and fries :)

WTG may relate to the fact that they've logged, maintained their habit of being accountable, rather than the actual food.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    I see your point. I didn't think of it that way. I suppose that no matter what you're eating, if you choose to log it, you're being accountable. Which is way better than eating horribly and being too ashamed/embarrassed to write it down - I've never done that (wink, wink) :wink:

OP, I don't agree that people are doing it blindly. I will always pull my friends up short if they are eating too little, but even if they've had a **** day, some of them need encouragement like "Big day, well logged" rather than WTG - I condone that cheeseburger and fries :)

WTG may relate to the fact that they've logged, maintained their habit of being accountable, rather than the actual food.
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    i must say that this is something that kinda gripes at me...if your not going to bother looking at what people have eaten why bother to comment :grumble: i will only comment on something that has been logged, as a lady said ealier being in the UK a lot of the foods listed on US & Canandian diary's are so completely different i've never even heard of them and i will ask!! but what really gets me is people who weigh and log .1 or .2 weight loss daily...whats the point?? :grumble: i weigh myself daily but only log once a week!! i dont bother with the pointwhatevers i simply go for the whole numbers, i wouldn't feel like i'd done any real work if i logged my weight daily i like to see a full 2lbs or so at the end of the week, i know ive done a good job over the week and feel happy with mysefl that ive done it!!

your definitely allowed your opinion but just to say i find it really helpful and motivating to log my .1 and .2...in fact i love to weigh myself daily and im chuffed with every little tiny bit the scale goes down, im trying to eat in a healthy way and am exercising for the first time in years and if my weight has stayed down for a few days in a row - even if that is just a tiny tiny amount - im thrilled and love watching my little graph go down!
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    I'll 'fess up. I'm half and half sometimes, though I do get a kick out of the people who're all like "wtg" when it's clear they haven't read my diary. But really, I'm more amused then anything. They're trying to be supportive. Some of us have a limited number of hours in our day and over a hundred MFP friends. I almost always try to check diaries, but there are days I don't have time. Usually, if I don't have time, I'll pass them up and spend my time replying to posted statuses that require real answers or advice or something social. I do have a core of MFP friends that always hold me accountable on my diary, so I give them the same consideration. I hope they understand that. I do find it hard to comment on closed diaries, as I've no idea what to say. If they're over, it could be by 15 calories or 500. If they're below, it could be unhealthy. -shrug- You can't know.
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Know what you mean, one day this week I spent the majority of the day in bed with strep throat and did not eat much. When I closed my journal for the day, I added the comment that I had been sick and did not eat much. Most of my friends sent me well wished then a couple of them gave me "thumbs up" and "great job". :noway: :ohwell:
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    I think you should stop letting little things in life bother you so much! Obviously this bothered you enough that you sat down and wrote a bit long rant about it - when in reality it's actually none of your business if strangers comment on other strangers' diaries. I don't always have the time to look at people's diaries, but I always comment 'good job' or something, because I don't really care what they've eaten to be honest, I want to interact with my friends and if it's posting the odd well done comment without looking, then so be it..
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    I agree with you OP. It bothers me as well. I check someones diary before I comment, every time.

I think one thing that bothers me is people equate quantity of food with weight loss and it's more the quality of food. I log everything, I even go down to details to make sure I get every calorie and such. Because of this my diary often looks super full. I had someone comment once that I was "eating too much" even though I remain in my calorie goal and usually within my carbs, protein, etc.

Because I had logged a lot of stuff, I was eating too much. SMH.