DOES ANYONE ELSE EAT FAST?!?!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I used to do it all the time!
    But to really savour food, and take your time eating really helps you to gauge when you're actually full as it takes 20minutes for your mind to process that you're eating/full.

I have recently started to take my time eating, and it really helps!

HERE are some handy tips/tricks that I have up my sleeve:

*Take your phone out, or your iPod etc. and set a timer for 20minutes right before you're about to eat a main meal. Really take your time to feel the texture of the foods in your mouth, and their taste. Just slow down as much as possible until you hear the timer go off.

* If you struggle with that, then perhaps you need to bring more focus to the fact that you're eating something, becoming more aware of it. With each mouthful, slowly count each chew, making sure to really break it all up. I aim for 30+ chews when I really struggle.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have four children, I either devour my food or its cold, or someone sneezes in it, or someone spills milk on it, or someone wants it... I have lots of great exuces for eating fast.

This was my life and now that they are all grown and gone I still do it. A while back I saw something on "mindful eating" and focusing on slowing down. Thoroughly chewing, savoring flavors, putting down your fork between bites or eating with your hands (perfectly acceptable in many cultures and obviously more natural), drinking water with your meal were all thing that stuck with me from that & I'm giving it a try.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I'm eating alone, I eat really fast. I live alone, and you can only invite guests over so often so...you get the picture. I am an aspie, and if I'm eating with others and I get on one of the topics I get stuck on...well you can't use your mouth for eating if it's talking, you know?
  • my2boiz
    my2boiz Posts: 89
    Options
    Yup, I eat way to fast most of the time. Recently I have slowed down so that my body can feel full faster, but if you portion out your meals before you eat them then it doesn't matter how fast you eat. Its all going to the same place. It takes 10 to 15 minutes for the body to realize its full, so all you have to do is avoid the temptation to go back and get more. Plus, I have to eat fast. Single mom of two kids. If I don't eat fast then I will never eat!!!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fast eater but my husband is. He's up and doing the dishes while I'm still eating and usually just finishing them when I am done with my meal.

He likes to say that I am just a slow eater.:angry:

But it's pretty obvious when we are around other people...
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    wow... i didn't know there were so many other girls like me. yes, i eat really fast, and it is embarrassing :( especially with my sis who eats freakin rediculously slow.. i feel like a fat hog next to her. but boyfriend eats so fast he makes me feel like i'm eating slow. he has the military to blame, and i have nothing to blame.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend eats slowly so I mindfully slow down because I feel stupid if I've finished my food and he still has half of his left. He's also picky and has to put together "the perfect bite" ...and I'm like, screw that, "my food is getting cold" or "but my egg yolk is hardening". T___T;
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My wife eats much faster than me. Especially an ice cream cone or something like that. She will be done with the whole thing when I am just getting to the cone part of the ice cream cone.

....don't tell her I said that.:laugh:

haha ur post is safe with me lol yea I am liiike her especially if it were an ice cream cone or hot cheetos im always done in like 2min after buying it. DEVOURED!! But im tryin now to work on that.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    :) THANKS EVERYONE!! I READ LITERALLY ALL YOUR FULL POSTS AND QUITE ENJOYED THEM! I EVEN LAUGHED AND FEEL BETTER THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO DOES THIS...Especially get togethers at my moms, before I ate healthy I would have lots of food finish and shovel in more. Or could devour a bag of hot cheetos 2min. after just buying them.. I would feel so bad. ONTO BETTER EATING!! AND EATING NOW WHILE ON MFP THESE PAST COUPLE DAYS HAS SLOWED ME DOWN AND I FEEL GOOD :) LOVE THE THREADS. AND ALL THE HELP ON HERE :)
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    No I love food way to much! I will take forver to eat any thing with little enjoyable bites, and I savour it, I hate when I go to resterunts and every one gets done WAY before me, but yea I love food way to much to eat it fast
  • peaches2snaps
    Options
    YES! i have no idea why, but i have always eaten super fast. my sister does too and my dad always asks how our food tastes in our lungs! haha! it used to bother my boyfriend when we would go out to eat and i would be done eating and he would be taking his first bite! now when we go out i try to make an effort to eat slow, but when im at home i eat at my own pace (super fast, lol)
  • philco41
    philco41 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the same thing. I try to slow down, especially when eating with others. What helps most is concentrating on chewing things sell. Some people like to, or recommend, chewing a certain # of times per bite. I think I've heard 16, 32, even 100. You might try to find a number that works for you. Something that just makes you think about what you're doing helps.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am the slowest eater of anyone I know. It can take me hours 2 hours to finish a meal. I wish I could eat fast, everyone else finishes before me and i get embarrassed.