Got Kicked Out Of the Gym Today & Im Pissed Off!

Options

Replies

• delvir
    delvir Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you stop going don't stop paying until you get something from them in writing. I'm a mortgage lender and they frequently will place a collection and judgement on your credit for non payments so you will be mad and broke from having to take care of the collection later.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    RANT TIME********
    So my long time friend ( of over 12ys) and I always work out togather at the local 24hr fitness location here in our side of town. We both did the personal trainng packages. We did the cycling class along with the BodyPump etc.... Of course after several weeks of the same routine we both hit a plateau. Another friend who also works out at that gym offered to workout with us and show us what he does. He taught us about proper form and how to incorporate HIIT training. Well after 6 weeks, my friend and I start losing inches all over. Our conditioning and endurance is better than ever. I feel good after everyworkout. Then today, A freaking trainer comes over and tells us we cant be training there and we have to leave! WTF???? we each pay our monthly dues just like everyone else in this damn gym does, and how I choose to workout and with who is none of ya'lls damn concern or business What happened to gym staff being supportive? My friend went to talk to him, and basically other members were asking if he was a trainer there because they wanted to train like him. I mean i would be drenched in sweat! So now 24hr trainers are feeling threatened by what my friend has taught us. I read their policy and all it says is that " No member can train another member for compensation".............I have never paid a single dime to this friend. He is there for the sme reasons as I am. To be fit and healthy! 24hr fitness only wants money, they dont care about you!

Oh heck no.. that's very unfair.. So your friend has more common sense and knowledge then there trainers? Oh well. He was just helping you guys free at that.. I'd raise heck.. Demand to speak to management.
    Yes I think that's what it came down to. We would often notice the trainers walking by and kinda glancing over at us to see what we were doing today. lol We stared to notice that they would "steal" some of our routines. Like burpees, jump squats and football drills all back to back! Man what an *kitten* kicker!!!
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That is outrageous! With as many customers as they have, they have to be concerned about class action lawsuits if there's any kind of pattern to this. If there isn't, they should back down and you'll be able to go back and smile at the trainer as you work out with your friend. So either way this should work out for you.

Out of protest, I'm going to resign my 24 Hour membership! Oh, wait, it's $30 a year. Maybe not.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I use 24 Hour Fitness and am aware of the policy you were refered to. However I do not agree that under the circumstances you were asked to leave. I would demand a meeting with the Manager, ask them to explain how you haveing a friend help you prevent injury and step your program up is in violation of the policy. If you do not get satisfactory answers I would go to the owner.
    I have several friends who are PT's or who are fitness "minded" and have spent time at the gym with them coaching me and us working together, never had issues.
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you don't get resolution through your friend's uncle----
    1) get your copy of the contract you signed (and hopefully an employee signed)
    2) highlight the part about the trainer compensation
    3) Inform the manager this was a friend helping a friend without compensation
    4) Inform manager you are not in violation of the contract terms
    5) Threaten to go to a lawyer for resolution

Good Luck!
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    My fiance considers himself a trainer, and is always training me at my gym. a 24hr as well. The trainers in the gym are actually very supportive, and just want to see people get healthy. The trainer there is actually quiet supportive of this, and so is managment. We pay our fees, and antthing we do beyond that is our decision. Hey and I pay my fiance (j/k) lol!!!!!!
    I think it is your gym, and they don't sound like they care about health.
    I'd express your concern to management, and find another gym if they are going to kick you out!
    Yes, Thankyou. I pay my fes and how i use the equipment ( which is very little, because we use our own body weight) is my decision.
  • Caffeine_Addict
    Caffeine_Addict Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    "No member can train another member for compensation" doesn't that mean by default that "a member CAN train another WITHOUT compensation? that's lame. Sounds maybe like employees/trainers acting without fully understanding their own policy. Definitely have a talk with the friends friends uncle manager guy. I'm interested to hear what happens.

Good luck
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    That is outrageous! With as many customers as they have, they have to be concerned about class action lawsuits if there's any kind of pattern to this. If there isn't, they should back down and you'll be able to go back and smile at the trainer as you work out with your friend. So either way this should work out for you.

Out of protest, I'm going to resign my 24 Hour membership! Oh, wait, it's $30 a year. Maybe not.
    what. wow thats pretty cheap, how did you score that deal???
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    They told her that she is not allowed to work with an outside trainer.

That's pretty standard for any gym, actually. I'm sorry it bothered you so much.

^^ it was a friend not an "outside trainer"
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    "No member can train another member for compensation" doesn't that mean by default that "a member CAN train another WITHOUT compensation? that's lame. Sounds maybe like employees/trainers acting without fully understanding their own policy. Definitely have a talk with the friends friends uncle manager guy. I'm interested to hear what happens.

Good luck
    Thank's I'll keep everyone updated.
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    If you don't get resolution through your friend's uncle----
    1) get your copy of the contract you signed (and hopefully an employee signed)
    2) highlight the part about the trainer compensation
    3) Inform the manager this was a friend helping a friend without compensation
    4) Inform manager you are not in violation of the contract terms
    5) Threaten to go to a lawyer for resolution

Good Luck!
    Yes I have a copy of my contract, they actually emailed it to me and I pulled it out right then and there on my smart phone and thats where we saw the policy. By then we were to fired up and mad to even stay. We are going back to speak with the manager once we calmed down and wouldnt cause a scene.
  • Astrowife68
    Options

That's pretty standard for any gym, actually. I'm sorry it bothered you so much.

But he's NOT a trainer, there or at another gym, he's a friend who just happens to know what he's doing. That's ridiculous you got kicked out if their policy specifically says "for compensation," then you did nothing wrong. Definitely a chat with the manager or $$ back for sure. The gym should maybe think about hiring the friend and helping to get him certified to be a trainer since other members are interested in him if they were thinking smart business!!

This is exactly, what I would have thought. Would be very good business..

14171021.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MariaChele85
    Options

But he's NOT a trainer, there or at another gym, he's a friend who just happens to know what he's doing. That's ridiculous you got kicked out if their policy specifically says "for compensation," then you did nothing wrong. Definitely a chat with the manager or $$ back for sure. The gym should maybe think about hiring the friend and helping to get him certified to be a trainer since other members are interested in him if they were thinking smart business!!

14171021.png
    agree^ I've asked my friend has he considered being a certified trainer as a profession and he said no, for two main reasons. One he really does like helping people out and showing them proper form etc... thats how he learned by someone else teaching him. So now he wants to share what he knows...... Two because gyms want to pay you too little and they are sales goal driven, he hates sales. That's why he's a computer tech.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The policy of not allowing outside trainers to work in a gym is a standard one just about everywhere. The reasons should be obvious, but if anyone wonders why, I'll be happy to explain.

In a situation where you are doing "buddy workouts" it becomes more of a gray area and subject to interpretation. If two people are working out together, doing the same exercises, or it is obvious they are doing their own routines, then it usually is OK. Or a parent working with a kid or a spouse working with a partner. In those cases, it is usually obvious that the "helper" is not a professional.

However, if it is obvious that there is instruction taking place, that one person is leading or directing the workout, or that one person is correcting the form or guiding the exercise for another, then that is usually seen as training by an outside trainer, whether there is money changing hands or not.

Obviously, not every situation is cut and dried, and not every club is going to treat each situation the same. In our facility, if it appears like it is a "friend is my trainer" situation, we will talk with them and inform them of the policy, but allow them to continue working out -- as long as the "training" stops. On a couple of occasions, if the trainer was local, the manager spoke to them and, if they had a decent background--invited them to apply for a job at our facility.

But, if they persist in engaging in "training", then the trainer will be asked to leave immediately and the member will be informed that another incident will result in immediate termination of their membership. For financial and liability reasons, you just can't have that going on in your facility, and most places I know are pretty aggressive about enforcing their policies.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The policy of not allowing outside trainers to work in a gym is a standard one just about everywhere. The reasons should be obvious, but if anyone wonders why, I'll be happy to explain.

In a situation where you are doing "buddy workouts" it becomes more of a gray area and subject to interpretation. If two people are working out together, doing the same exercises, or it is obvious they are doing their own routines, then it usually is OK. Or a parent working with a kid or a spouse working with a partner. In those cases, it is usually obvious that the "helper" is not a professional.

However, if it is obvious that there is instruction taking place, that one person is leading or directing the workout, or that one person is correcting the form or guiding the exercise for another, then that is usually seen as training by an outside trainer, whether there is money changing hands or not.

Obviously, not every situation is cut and dried, and not every club is going to treat each situation the same. In our facility, if it appears like it is a "friend is my trainer" situation, we will talk with them and inform them of the policy, but allow them to continue working out -- as long as the "training" stops. On a couple of occasions, if the trainer was local, the manager spoke to them and, if they had a decent background--invited them to apply for a job at our facility.

But, if they persist in engaging in "training", then the trainer will be asked to leave immediately and the member will be informed that another incident will result in immediate termination of their membership. For financial and liability reasons, you just can't have that going on in your facility, and most places I know are pretty aggressive about enforcing their policies.

Custom doesn't govern here the contract does. The contract stipulates the determining factor is compensation. What other gyms do isn't relevant here.
  • Blueyz82
    Blueyz82 Posts: 151
    Options
    that is total BS that they would kick you out for that!!! Definitely complain to management! That is soooo uncool! People need support systems! I know I was apt to push myself harder at the gym when I had my friends with me! Hopefully, you get an apology and something for the inconvenience! Good luck to you!
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the guy that approached you is a "Hater". I would not left because he told me too...he doesnt own the gym nor is he the manager ..right? You should have asked to speak with the manager on duty immediately and escalated up if necessary.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

14171021.png
    agree^ I've asked my friend has he considered being a certified trainer as a profession and he said no, for two main reasons. One he really does like helping people out and showing them proper form etc... thats how he learned by someone else teaching him. So now he wants to share what he knows...... Two because gyms want to pay you too little and they are sales goal driven, he hates sales. That's why he's a computer tech.

This is going to sound mean, but that's precisely why most clubs cannot allow "buddy trainers" in their facility. Your friend has no formal training, no certification, no liability insurance, zippo--except what he "learned" from someone else. Now it may very well be that he knows his stuff--but who knows? Believe me, clubs have lost lawsuits over a lot less.
  • muchafraid
    Options
    it's standard if it's a paid trainer. it is not if the "trainer" is a friend helping a friend. this should not be allowed and you should not stand for it.
  • muchafraid
    Options
    that said, i would ask to see their insurance policy - it's possible it's a "risk" for them to have someone "training" someone else.