Massive Caloric Deficit Everyday...but I'm not starving myse

Options
I'm a guy, and some days, I'm having as little as 1200-1300 calories.
I usually have closer to 1500 on weekdays
Some Saturdays, I do come close to doubling that

However, in general, my calorie goal is 1710 calories per day and I burn between 400 and 1000 calories a day (usually 600) at the gym.

So basically, at the end of the day, I tend to have a 500 calorie deficit on top of my MFP built in 500 calorie deficit.

Overall, I'm happy that the math says I'll lose weight faster, but I don't want to cause any metabolic issues
Anybody have any experience or insight?

Replies

• NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    It may seem great at first, and you lose weight quite quickly at first, but it won't last. What you'll find is that you won't be able to sustain it healthily. You'll probably start to not have the same energy to do your workouts as well, you may lose some muscle mass (and you don't want that, it's what lets you eat more!), carry on and you might start feeling tired, run down, lethargic and be a lot more susceptible to colds and sickness. All I can say is, don't be fooled by Aladdin's lamp. Just because you're having that much less doesn't actually mean it'll get you there faster.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    It may seem great at first, and you lose weight quite quickly at first, but it won't last. What you'll find is that you won't be able to sustain it healthily. You'll probably start to not have the same energy to do your workouts as well, you may lose some muscle mass (and you don't want that, it's what lets you eat more!), carry on and you might start feeling tired, run down, lethargic and be a lot more susceptible to colds and sickness. All I can say is, don't be fooled by Aladdin's lamp. Just because you're having that much less doesn't actually mean it'll get you there faster.

What about me: my BMR*1.3 is 2575 and I eat a daily calorie intake of 1570 because I want to lose 2 lbs a week and I don't have any time to work out. How long will 2 lbs come off a week? Theoretically it should come off at the same rate as long as I keep recalculating my BMR*1.3 every week after I weigh in and lower my calories in accordance to it, correct?

Can i ask, why do you multiply the BMR by 1.3? What does that give you?
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    End result?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqYkl0nuRp9jqNamEsjeY5VydJZur9g1PGCW8QPA3Ea-arWTeh
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Generally accepted guidleine is that a safe rate of loss is 1-2lb per week, 1000 cal deficit per day equates to 2lb per week so you're just within guidelines
  • jcmk87
    Options

What about me: my BMR*1.3 is 2575 and I eat a daily calorie intake of 1570 because I want to lose 2 lbs a week and I don't have any time to work out. How long will 2 lbs come off a week? Theoretically it should come off at the same rate as long as I keep recalculating my BMR*1.3 every week after I weigh in and lower my calories in accordance to it, correct?

Can i ask, why do you multiply the BMR by 1.3? What does that give you?

Her TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure), the 1.3 is her level of activity
  • jcmk87
    Options
    Generally accepted guidleine is that a safe rate of loss is 1-2lb per week, 1000 cal deficit per day equates to 2lb per week so you're just within guidelines

To lose at a healthy rate yes, but to make the most of it is is HIGHLY advisable to lose at 1lb a week as to retain as much muscle mass as possible to ensure you keep the weight off when reaching your goal.

1) 500 cal deficit
    2) high protein & fat, rest carbs
    3) ?
    4) profit
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have different opinions. I think different bodies react differently. I have noticed that if I eat little without exercise than I keep losing. But if I work out and keep my calories too low, my body goes into shock.
    I have upped my calories now and started losing again.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    To lose at a healthy rate yes, but to make the most of it is is HIGHLY advisable to lose at 1lb a week as to retain as much muscle mass as possible to ensure you keep the weight off when reaching your goal.

The guy exercises, so building up muscle mass. 2lb a week purely by cutting calories I wouldn't advocate, but half through calroies and half through exercise, I'm easy about
  • JeffSFO
    JeffSFO Posts: 10
    Options

I know you mean well but that's pure conjecture on your part. I've averaged 1,120 net calories a day since December 23rd and weighed 210 pounds that day. Today I'm just under 182 pounds, very close to my goal of 180 and will likely hit that in a few days. My fitness is excellent, I haven't been sick, and I have plenty of energy because I eat healthy foods regularly, stay hydrated, and get as much sleep as possible. I started dieting a few weeks before the 23rd and was dropping weight but didn't have a scale to measure what it was.

However, I do understand that what I've done might not be ideal for everyone but to say that it can't be done or that weight loss has to be done a certain way just isn't true.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories a day even though somedays i dont always hit that somtimes i only make it to 1000calories. I usually exercise 30mins to an hour and usually burn over 300 calories a day......is that a bad thing?

i dont try to eat less than 1500 by the way just ends up that way as I dont feel hungry.......
  • mitchgetripped
    Options
    A thought for everyone trying huge caloric deficits. The goal is fat loss, not weight loss as a whole. If you want to look toned when you reach your goal weight. 500-600 less calories than your daily requirements, with some steady, medium intensity cardio is more likely to give you your desired fat loss. High protein and starchy carbs are great for this.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    So long as you are eating really nutritious food every day even if low, you'll be fine... UP TO THE POINT you run out of reserves, i.e fat. Not talking zero fat either, just a healthy body fat. This happened to me. At first it was fine, then I did start losing weight rapidly and also nasty things happened like my hair got a little brittle and my periods became lighter and sporadic then stopped... thios is just over 3 months. I was skinny too, It wasn't intentional. I just continued to eat what I normally did but doing lots of exercise to get fit... It wasn't really for weight loss reasons. The importance of an athlete having good AND adequate nutrition. In addition, my iron levels were quite low, despite making sure I took multivits and ate iron rich food like liver, leafy dark greens, beans and pulses etc etc. My diet was very low fat too. It was preference but you could accidentally get to the point that you do starve. I.e. when your body runs out of reserves... you won't go in to starvation mode til then. Just remember to eat enough as I made such a foolish mistake and it also means if you do resume normal eating or just cut back on the phys, you'll gain weight PDQ... as was the case with me over Christmas. Not loads of undereating but only 5 or 6 runs a week compared to my normal 11 or 12 workouts... 6 which would be runs and the rest would be cycling or elliptical and weights...
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

I know you mean well but that's pure conjecture on your part. I've averaged 1,120 net calories a day since December 23rd and weighed 210 pounds that day. Today I'm just under 182 pounds, very close to my goal of 180 and will likely hit that in a few days. My fitness is excellent, I haven't been sick, and I have plenty of energy because I eat healthy foods regularly, stay hydrated, and get as much sleep as possible. I started dieting a few weeks before the 23rd and was dropping weight but didn't have a scale to measure what it was.

However, I do understand that what I've done might not be ideal for everyone but to say that it can't be done or that weight loss has to be done a certain way just isn't true.

With you on this... but I got to a point that I literally had very low body fat and then my body as a woman, needed more energy for things like mestrual cycle and so as it didnt have enough... they stopped.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use to eat a about 2500kcal a day! but the fat contents of the food was huge! i eat a well balance diet and always make sure I get my intake of vitamins :) I havent cut out any food groups just watching my calories>
    Thanks for the help
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    From a 'lay' perspective your calorie numbers seem OK to me - low, but not too low. (if you opened your diary so that others could see the sorts of food you're eating, it might be easier to advise). So long as in your heart of hearts you're feeling good and looking healthy, and can sustain it, I think it's fine.
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    as long as you're not letting yourself go hungry, you're winning.
  • jcmk87
    Options

"Weight Loss" and "Fat Loss" is two different things, with such a low calorie intake you are clearly just a smaller version of the 210 lb you.