Massive Caloric Deficit Everyday...but I'm not starving myse

Options
2»

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My husband has the same problem. He will check his balance a couple of hours before bed, and often tops up with brazil nuts, or a tablespoon of peanut butter . It works!
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    It may seem great at first, and you lose weight quite quickly at first, but it won't last. What you'll find is that you won't be able to sustain it healthily. You'll probably start to not have the same energy to do your workouts as well, you may lose some muscle mass (and you don't want that, it's what lets you eat more!), carry on and you might start feeling tired, run down, lethargic and be a lot more susceptible to colds and sickness. All I can say is, don't be fooled by Aladdin's lamp. Just because you're having that much less doesn't actually mean it'll get you there faster.

I know you mean well but that's pure conjecture on your part. I've averaged 1,120 net calories a day since December 23rd and weighed 210 pounds that day. Today I'm just under 182 pounds, very close to my goal of 180 and will likely hit that in a few days. My fitness is excellent, I haven't been sick, and I have plenty of energy because I eat healthy foods regularly, stay hydrated, and get as much sleep as possible. I started dieting a few weeks before the 23rd and was dropping weight but didn't have a scale to measure what it was.

However, I do understand that what I've done might not be ideal for everyone but to say that it can't be done or that weight loss has to be done a certain way just isn't true.

"Weight Loss" and "Fat Loss" is two different things, with such a low calorie intake you are clearly just a smaller version of the 210 lb you.

um, no

um YES

Lets say his 180lbs at 15% body fat which is highly unlikely but anyhow.

Protein Intake: 180*0.75 = 135 which equates to 135grams of protein (540 Cals)
    Fat Intake: 180*0.4 = 72 grams of fat (648 Cals)

648+540 = 1188 Cals

So you are telling me he has no carbs at all? Catabolism FTW.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It may seem great at first, and you lose weight quite quickly at first, but it won't last. What you'll find is that you won't be able to sustain it healthily. You'll probably start to not have the same energy to do your workouts as well, you may lose some muscle mass (and you don't want that, it's what lets you eat more!), carry on and you might start feeling tired, run down, lethargic and be a lot more susceptible to colds and sickness. All I can say is, don't be fooled by Aladdin's lamp. Just because you're having that much less doesn't actually mean it'll get you there faster.

I know you mean well but that's pure conjecture on your part. I've averaged 1,120 net calories a day since December 23rd and weighed 210 pounds that day. Today I'm just under 182 pounds, very close to my goal of 180 and will likely hit that in a few days. My fitness is excellent, I haven't been sick, and I have plenty of energy because I eat healthy foods regularly, stay hydrated, and get as much sleep as possible. I started dieting a few weeks before the 23rd and was dropping weight but didn't have a scale to measure what it was.

However, I do understand that what I've done might not be ideal for everyone but to say that it can't be done or that weight loss has to be done a certain way just isn't true.

I agree with the second comment here. Saying you should use a specific method and NET a certain number every day or your loss will slow down and you will become lethargic, simply isn't true. At least not in my experience. Everybody is different - so just use common sense and listen to how your own body feels.

Good luck :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any experience or insight?

Absolutely happy to share my experience. Am 37, 188cm and broad build. Started using this tool middle of last year, lost well then went back to bad habits and regained 50% of that loss.
    Started back on January 1st and according to the scales I have dropped 10kgs since then. Add a couple back for water weight and that's 8kgs over 10 weeks. circa.1.5lbs.
    The skinfold calipers indicate low lean tissue loss so I am comfortable that my loss is mostly fat.

Like you I eat above maintenance every Saturday which I believe prevents metabolic downgrade and certainly help me stay strict during the week.

My loss has been consistent and constant. It has not declined. At 1750Cals I eat about 500Cals a day more than you and on exercise days (30 min jog twice a week and 1 hr martial arts once or twice a week) I increase my intake by 200 or 250.

Some Saturdays, I do come close to doubling that
    I definitely think this is a must
    Overall, I'm happy that the math says I'll lose weight faster, but I don't want to cause any metabolic issues
    Everyone really is different so you may or you may not. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable at such a low rate but that's me. Irregardless of metabolic downgrade risk, I am pretty sure I would struggle to stick to that in the long term and would end up quitting.
  • methodless
    Options
    I actually am willing to eat more calories
    I just am not hungry

I typically have 150g of protein a day, 60-100g of fat and 50-100g of carbs

I am noticing that only specifically when there are no carbs in my system, my performance at the gym suffers slightly when performing cardio activities.

I eat more on Saturdays more because of my social life and my lifestyle, it leads to eating foods I wouldn't normally eat on a regular basis.

I am more concerned with fat loss than weight loss, and will gladly put on 10 more pounds if I am going to look like a professional athlete as a result.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Massive deficit causes muscle loss.
    Then you get "skinny fat".
    So you will question why you have all this loose skin.
    If only you conserved that muscle to fill in that skin.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    End result?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqYkl0nuRp9jqNamEsjeY5VydJZur9g1PGCW8QPA3Ea-arWTeh

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I did exactly this the last time I lost. It was wonderful all the way up to 25lbs loss, then I hit a plateau that didn't budge for 4 months. Got frustrated, stopped tracking, put it all back on, ended up heavier than I was in the first place.

If you're diet is not sustainable then guess what... you're not gonna sustain it.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    @vynvyn

So is it unhealthy to lose 2 pounds a week, even at the beginning? I've always heard 1-2 pounds is perfectly safe, especially at higher weights (I'm shooting to lose around 50 lbs) To do that you NEED a massive calorie deficit (1000 Cals a day - equalling 7000 Cals a week). I've been at around 800-1000 Calorie deficit for about 4 weeks now, if I change now to eating all my calories will I gain it back since I've had such a massive deficit? Will my weight loss be a skinny fat body type?

What worked for me:

Calculate your TDEE (http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) subtract 300-600 calories. Monitor 1-2lbs loss safely and consistently adjusting accordingly. Lifted heavy 3-4x a week. First 15lbs will be water/junk weight so it will motivate you more but remember its a battle of inches with the plateau soon to come. To avoid skinny fat you must maintain lbm by lifting heavy utilizing those muscles to fill the skin suit.
  • methodless
    Options
    Well my diet for now is sustainable
    I am liking my food - I do want to add about 15-20g of sugars sometimes (e.g. sauces or a cup of juice)
    but aside from that, I am full and not eating things I hate

My only inconvenience is food preparation time is drastically longer than before

I am also doing some weight work 5 days a week and making sure I get the protein necessary to keep it building

The only "hunger" I experience causes me to have lunch slightly earlier than before, but I am always satisfied and in some cases stuffed (usually not though)