soda drinkers!!!!

Options
Just saw on the news that due to a law in California, Pepsi and Coke have to put a MAY CAUSE CANCER warning on their labels. The ingredient used for coloring is the carcinogen (sp?).

I had no idea. I don't drink soda, but just another good reason not to.

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    and soon it will be behind the counter lol... AH, I drink it!!! just started actually. I will keep drinking it
  • Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    Options
    It seems like everything is considered a carcinogen these days. Although I'm glad they're finally putting it out there that fizzy drinks aren't good for the body.
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It is a very slight risk of Cancer, but none the less...... just thought it was worth sharing.
  • roseemb
    roseemb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just saw this article on Boston.com as companies react to the postings, to avoid having their soda labeled as cancer-causing. Interesting to see what kind of pressure actually works!

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/articles/2012/03/08/coke_pepsi_make_changes_to_avoid_cancer_warning/?p1=Upbox_links
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17308181

"no evidence that it poses a health risk to humans"

"a person would need to drink more than 1,000 cans of Coke or Pepsi a day to take in the same dose of the chemical that was given to the animals in the lab test."

"apart from California 'not one single regulatory agency around the world considers the exposure of the public to 4-MEI as present in caramels as an issue'"

I know critical thinking is not our strong suit on MFP, but let's take a breath before we start panicking.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Just saw this article on Boston.com as companies react to the postings, to avoid having their soda labeled as cancer-causing. Interesting to see what kind of pressure actually works!

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/articles/2012/03/08/coke_pepsi_make_changes_to_avoid_cancer_warning/?p1=Upbox_links
    From that article:

"California added the coloring to its list of carcinogens with no studies showing that it causes cancer in humans. It noted that the listing was based on a single study in lab mice and rats."
  • 04warrior
    04warrior Posts: 16
    Options
    Ok, so you have to drink over 1,000 12 oz cans of soda in order to reach the risk level identified in mice. I think I can maintain under the limit....oh and by the way, being born has been shown to result in death 100% of the time, just so you are aware!
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

"a person would need to drink more than 1,000 cans of Coke or Pepsi a day to take in the same dose of the chemical that was given to the animals in the lab test."

"apart from California 'not one single regulatory agency around the world considers the exposure of the public to 4-MEI as present in caramels as an issue'"

I know critical thinking is not our strong suit on MFP, but let's take a breath before we start panicking.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Yes, its the tiny amount of this chemical I'm worried about drinking 1,000 cans of soda in one day. Not at all worried about the gallons of sugar that would put me in a coma or the caffiene that would send me shooting to the moon.

I think anything in that quantity would give me cancer. If it didn't kill me first.
  • Astromedic_wechange
    Options
    What about club soda? Isn't that just fizzy water?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    :noway:

I gave up pop for lent and I feel good without it, but I love it and will most certainly not give it up forever. And by the way, EVERYTHING causes cancer, I'm not too worried.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I used to drink about 2 liters a day of Coke Zero, Diet Coke or Pepsi Max. Now I'm down to maybe 500mls, but I am not going to concern myself with the 'slight' risk that it may possibly increase the chance of getting cancer. If we stopped doing everything that may cause us to die then we will be sat in bubble wrap all our lives and may as well be dead because lets face it, we would have no life.

My Mum passed away three years ago at the age of 44 from cancer, she never drank carbonated drinks, never smoked, rarely drank alcohol and ate very healthily. She only found out she had it two month beforehand and only became ill two weeks after that. It happens to anyone and not much will prevent it. Enjoy life today, you could be dead tomorrow.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the propensity for choosing a food (or any other object, for that matter) to personally crusade against. I have known SO many very healthy, often YOUNG people who have been diagnosed with cancer. Some of them have died. Most of them were not soda addicts. Or even nicotine addicts, for that matter.

My dear friend who just died of gall bladder cancer was on a pretty strict low-fat, low-sodium diet. He was only 51.

Just be freakin' sensible, people. That's all it takes.

Also: LOVE ME SOME DIET COKE!
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You have to realize that we in California have this regulation, Prop 65, that requires a "cancer warning" to be posted on pretty much anything that may have even the hint of potential carcinogenicity. This effectively means almost everything. So the state is festooned with warning signs (even in bars, oh yeah, I'm there for my health, oh yeah) that are usually ignored (boy who cried wolf effect). Last time I checked, the Prop 65 warning at the gas station has yet to make someone switch over to horses. So just because California is requiring cancer warnings is no reason for alarm.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I'm gonna die....

But it will be a good Dr. Pepper filled life... :happy:
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just saw on the news that due to a law in California, Pepsi and Coke have to put a MAY CAUSE CANCER warning on their labels. The ingredient used for coloring is the carcinogen (sp?).

Ever notice that EVERYTHING causes cancer "in California?" That's why I haven't moved there. :laugh:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Caramel Color has been on the list of possible carcinogens for a while. If you look, you will find it in more things than just your soda.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a lil creepy....
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You have to realize that we in California have this regulation, Prop 65, that requires a "cancer warning" to be posted on pretty much anything that may have even the hint of potential carcinogenicity. This effectively means almost everything. So the state is festooned with warning signs (even in bars, oh yeah, I'm there for my health, oh yeah) that are usually ignored (boy who cried wolf effect). Last time I checked, the Prop 65 warning at the gas station has yet to make someone switch over to horses. So just because California is requiring cancer warnings is no reason for alarm.

Read your quote after I posted mine. Thanks for the clarification. Now I don't have to be afraid to move.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Ever notice that EVERYTHING causes cancer "in California?" That's why I haven't moved there. :laugh:

I think just living in California may cause cancer... :wink: