Things I've Learned About Strength Training

Options
123457»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I am at a healthy weight now but still would like to lose another 10 pounds or so. But I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't.... Lol. I want to get into some strength training but I don't have access to a gym (can't afford it) .... Not sure what to do.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I am at a healthy weight now but still would like to lose another 10 pounds or so. But I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't.... Lol. I want to get into some strength training but I don't have access to a gym (can't afford it) .... Not sure what to do.

Resistance bands. They're cheap, take up very little space, and will give you a pretty decent start.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    #1. Heavy Weights to start off, then a High Rep set to failure on the end has repeatedly been shown to have benefits as well as helping with the aesthetics. Add into the fact the hypertrophy of a mid rep set (which is what I do at the end for pumps 8-12 reps) gives you more benefits with the training of the muscles.
    #2. Big muscles is different than what the lady was asking. Muscles that haven't been built from lifting AKA someone starting out losing weight can be pudgy. They will harden when you are working out and lifting over time, even in a calorie deficit. Even without growing any muscle mass.
    #3. I never suggested any moves that weren't compound moves as I'm a firm believer in compound lifts.

Also to add into your whole low weight/high reps argument. Look up Dana Bailey takes on crossfit. nuff said.

Just chiming in on #1. Jim wendler's 5/3/1 program helped me gain a ton of strength AND size, especially for my squat and legs. His program is a mixture of both high weight / low rep sets, followed by sets of volume at lower weight. But see, I think "high rep" is being confused here. You aren't getting anywhere by doing 20-30 reps of the bar, I think that's what he meant. As others have already said, 1-5 reps for strength, 6-12 for hypertrophy, 12+ for endurance, 20+ for cardio :)

That's what I was thinking by high rep (15-20+ range with pink 2lb dumbells). I don't consider 8-12 rep "high rep." Crossfit is a whole different animal, and I've posted multiple times on why I don't like it. Now Crossfit-type workouts aren't bad, especially in the hands of educated trainers who incorporate some of those principles into their fitness regimine. However, you shouldn't be doing heavy clean and presses for maximum reps...the risk/reward isn't worth it.

I do the Crossfit style workout every 3 lift days to change things up. I do 205 Bench X 20, 275 Squat X 20, 135 X 20 then 3 minute rest then repeat. Total of 5 times. Then I have 2 heavy lift day that usually separates the crossfit workout days. It was a program designed for me from someone I respect greatly in the industry. I will say those days I also feel more wear and tear on my arms then lifting heavy days anymore. 5-7 reps you get the initial burn but it goes away pretty fast, crossfit day I'm always sore the next day.

I think they both have their place, especially when your goal is cutting fat. If you are really going to say injury is an excuse maxing out has caused me more injuries over the years then high reps. Heavy Lift max out days has tweaked a lot more tendons for me at least. For heavy lift days I follow a modified 5X5 HL Mad Cow program, where every rep is max weights.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So if I am on a calorie deficit I can't gain muscle? Should I just not be at a deficit on the days I do strength?

I LOVE this post but I have the same question. With 20 or more pounds left to lose I'm not sure how much of an increase I should make in my daily calorie intake.
    You will not build any significant muscle on a deficit. People new to lifting or significantly overweight can build some new muscle tissue, but the gains are minimal and generally don't continue. If you want to build muscle (i.e. build new tissue, not strengthen existing muscle), be on a surplus. If you want to lose weight, be on a deficit.
    BUT if you still want to lose fat, there is no reason to NOT lift weights. First, you can increase your strength even if you don't build new muscle. Second, and most important, weight lifting helps retain muscle mass. When we diet we often lose both fat and muscle. Weight lifting minimizes muscle lose. It's MUCH easier to keep existing muscle while we diet, rather than lose it and try to rebuild it. I'd would just recommend that anyone lifting maintain a small to moderate calorie deficit (300-600) calories or so. This will give you the energy you need to strength train.

OH, and OP, excellent post.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Only one I disagree fully on is:

4. Heavy weight, lower reps > low weight, high reps.

Heavy weight with lower reps builds strength, but there is a purpose for lower weight and higher reps with the hypertrophy.

I usually start out heavy lower reps but the last two sets I high reps and the reason is the lower reps builds strength but the high reps delivers more blood to help kick start that muscle repair. It also gives you a bit of a pump.
    Disagree. Higher VOLUME (total sets for a body part) creates hypertrophy and not lower weights with higher reps. Low weight high reps build muscle endurance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    #1. Heavy Weights to start off, then a High Rep set to failure on the end has repeatedly been shown to have benefits as well as helping with the aesthetics. Add into the fact the hypertrophy of a mid rep set (which is what I do at the end for pumps 8-12 reps) gives you more benefits with the training of the muscles.
    So you consider 8-12 high reps?

IDEA Fitness member
  • enelira
    enelira Posts: 25
    Options
    bump
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

For what I'm doing yes, I think 12-20 is high reps, I think 12 is more of middle amount considering I'm usually doing 5-7. Unless I'm doing my modified crossfit day then I do 20. Based off this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2paIdfSK4
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

For what I'm doing yes, I think 12-20 is high reps, I think 12 is more of middle amount considering I'm usually doing 5-7. Unless I'm doing my modified crossfit day then I do 20. Based off this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2paIdfSK4
    Based on many organizations consensus (and not to mention actually study) 8-12 reps is the desired range for people who are trying to encourage muscle hypertrophy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Based on many organizations consensus (and not to mention actually study) 8-12 reps is the desired range for people who are trying to encourage muscle hypertrophy.

IDEA Fitness member

Which is what I recommended in early posts and why I said I use those reps for the final sets.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Which is what I recommended in early posts and why I said I use those reps for the final sets.
    I assumed you were speaking of reps above 15 and weights to comp.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great post :happy: you can also check my blog post "Exercise Training Principles" :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/velloxal
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump, p3
  • brits111383
    Options
    bump
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    bump!!! Great post!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    solid points in this thread
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    1. Unless you are an experienced lifter, do not create your own program. Great programs, created by professional strength coaches, have already been created...do one of those.

2. Do not do a program you find in a body building magazine. Bodybuilding programs are pretty much useless for beginners since they contain high sets, high reps, and a lot of isolation exercises.

3. Compound exercises are key. Learn how to squat, deadlift, bench press, and row. With those 4 exercises, you will get the body you want.

4. Heavy weight, lower reps > low weight, high reps.

5. Form is key. Take time to perfect your form, your joints will appreciate it.

6. Ego is the cause of most injuries.

7. You will not gain significant muscle mass unless you exceed your recommended caloric intake.

8. Women will not look like men if they lift weights. Women who do look like men take steroids and estrogen blockers (or they really are men in women's clothing).

9. Have a plan. If you go into the gym without a plan, you'll limit your results. Stick with a routine for at least 6 weeks to see if it works for you. If its working, don't change it until it stops working.

10. If you show me a fitness study, I'll show you a contradicting study. What may work for someone else, may not work for you. Fitness is an imperfect science, there is a lot of trial and error to find what works best.

11. A thousand crunches a day will not get you a six-pack, but a good diet will.

12. You will keep the weight off longer if you lift weights. The more muscle you have, the more resting calories you burn.

Feel free to add more to help inform! :)

this person did not give his credentials, unless you know this guy, do not follow his advice, he could be right or wrong i don't know and neither do you. please ask a certified personal trainer or someone who is educated with a degree in the industry.

I am a NASM certified personal trainer and the points he made are excellent. I would add:
    Cardiovascular training
    Flexibility training
    Balance training

This would provide a well-rounded program.
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Love this post! Makes complete sense.