Options

Replies

• k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps for lean tone muscles
    heavy weight low reps for more bulk

just depends what you are looking for.

I must respectfully disagree with this. Women do not "bulk." This is a total myth. We don't have the hormones for it (unless we add steroids). Heavy weights with low reps (they are only low because we lift so heavy that we *can't* do high reps) are the only way to build strength and increase muscle. No, they won't be bulky scary muscles. The will be lovely lean toned muscles. And they will be strong. Why? because we PUSH ourselves to lift a little more each time, which is the only motivation for our muscles to get stronger.

Light weights with high reps are for endurance. They won't make you stronger, nor will they build new muscle tissue. This myth has been around for ages. I succumbed to it for a long time. But the only time I have ever gotten truly STRONGER and actually built lovely womanly muscles is when I have pushed myself to lift as much as I can.

well I have had great results from using low weight high reps. And yes-I continue to increase my weight once the movement become easy for me-but I am still talking fairly low weight and my muscles now show-so how would you explain that if using low weights and high reps don't build muscle.

I'm thinking that with the aerobic/cardio effect of low weight/high reps, you have probably just burned off the fat covering the muscles that already existed rather than built/grew any muscle tissue. I could be wrong, but it's all speculation, isn't it?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

ditto

*sigh*

Did you read any of this thread?

yes I did-and everyone has an opinion. Doesn't make it right.

Most people are not posting opinion they are posting facts. You posted an opinion that doesn't mean that is what others did.

And that is great you have some results with low weight high reps. Now imagine what you could have accomplished in that time doing a heavy lifting routine. Mind = Blown

my question was genuine for the poster I directed it to and I am not trying to get big muscles. I am trying to be fit and healthy.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options

I must respectfully disagree with this. Women do not "bulk." This is a total myth. We don't have the hormones for it (unless we add steroids). Heavy weights with low reps (they are only low because we lift so heavy that we *can't* do high reps) are the only way to build strength and increase muscle. No, they won't be bulky scary muscles. The will be lovely lean toned muscles. And they will be strong. Why? because we PUSH ourselves to lift a little more each time, which is the only motivation for our muscles to get stronger.

Light weights with high reps are for endurance. They won't make you stronger, nor will they build new muscle tissue. This myth has been around for ages. I succumbed to it for a long time. But the only time I have ever gotten truly STRONGER and actually built lovely womanly muscles is when I have pushed myself to lift as much as I can.

well I have had great results from using low weight high reps. And yes-I continue to increase my weight once the movement become easy for me-but I am still talking fairly low weight and my muscles now show-so how would you explain that if using low weights and high reps don't build muscle.

I'm thinking that with the aerobic/cardio effect of low weight/high reps, you have probably just burned off the fat covering the muscles that already existed rather than built/grew any muscle tissue. I could be wrong, but it's all speculation, isn't it?

yes that is a possibility and thank you for offering that perspective I had not thought about that.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    , to look like this, you have to have years and years of REAL dedication and a perfect diet. There are about 2 people on this site that have that and you aren't one of them. You won't get bulky. Now be quiet and go lift.

you can take your rudeness elsewhere its not welcome.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

That would be my guess. Building muscle takes a lot of hard work and a calorie surplus. Revealing muscle just takes weight loss.

My problem with the 5# or less dumbbells (which I still use when I'm dong cardio-type exercises at home) is that it's not going to make me any stronger. And I know a lot of people, especially women, don't care about being stronger, but I like being able to carry all my groceries in the house in one trip. I like being able to toss a 40# bucket of kitty litter into my shopping cart, or from the shopping cart to my trunk, with one hand without struggling. I like doing home improvement projects and being able to load sheet rock onto my roof racks and bring them in the house. And as someone who used to get injured all the time doing those things, I really like doing all that without ended up on the couch with a heating pad for a week. I don't want to waste my time doing an exercise that's going to enable me to hoist something the equivalent in pounds to a Big Gulp 20 times.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

ditto

*sigh*

Did you read any of this thread?

yes I did-and everyone has an opinion. Doesn't make it right.

Most people are not posting opinion they are posting facts. You posted an opinion that doesn't mean that is what others did.

And that is great you have some results with low weight high reps. Now imagine what you could have accomplished in that time doing a heavy lifting routine. Mind = Blown

my question was genuine for the poster I directed it to and I am not trying to get big muscles. I am trying to be fit and healthy.

You will not get big muscles by lifting heavy. That takes years, a caloric surplus and for most women performance enhancing drugs. Heavy weights while in maintenance or dieting will help you retain your muscle as you lose while getting stronger. Vs. not lifting heavy which leads to the loss of lean muscle while in a caloric deficit.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    A guy who has a 500 lb 1RM bench press might not be able to do 200 pushups in a row continuously.
    A guy who can do 200 pushups in a row continuously may not be able to bench 500 lbs.

Your body adapts itself to better perform the rigors you subject it to (I'm a pretty strong guy, and I subject myself to all kinds of abuse between lifting and karate and rugby, but if you want to see me crying in pain like a baby make me do a yoga class). What matters is intensity. If after you finish you don't feel any kind of pain or tiredness, you didn't push yourself hard enough and you likely won't see much if any improvement.

Now, generally speaking, lifting heavier weights is more efficient at forcing your body to retain muscle mass when you're losing weight or build muscle mass when you're gaining weight. People have a misconception about muscle gain too. You won't overnight be rocking Popeye-on-spinach biceps or have traps the size of your head. Building mass is a very (VERY) slow process, even slower when you're eating at a calorie deficit (in most cases you're just trying to hang onto the muscle mass you have). Also for women, a number of the people whose bodies they may be trying to emulate actually have a very healthy amount of muscle. It really is quite sexy. Don't be afraid to at least give heavy lifting a shot (assuming you can lift with good form, of course). I can guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that if you lift something big over your head you won't suddenly get mistaken for your brother. And if for some reason one squat makes your legs the size of my waist: A) sell me the juice you're using and B) stop lifting for a bit and I PROMISE it will go away.

If you're happy with what you're doing, by all means stick with it. That being said, I'm willing to bet that if you give a decent heavy lifting program a fair shot, you'll be very happy with the results.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    , to look like this, you have to have years and years of REAL dedication and a perfect diet. There are about 2 people on this site that have that and you aren't one of them. You won't get bulky. Now be quiet and go lift.

No one is being rude. My comments weren't directed at anyone specific, more the the general masses that think they'll get bulky if they lift heavy. That is just one of the prevailing misconceptions on this site and if someone doesn't cut through the crap nothing will change.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Agreed.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options

No one is being rude. My comments weren't directed at anyone specific, more the the general masses that think they'll get bulky if they lift heavy. That is just one of the prevailing misconceptions on this site and if someone doesn't cut through the crap nothing will change.

then perhaps you should offer advise like others instead of rude comments-I would be more inclined to listen to you and what you have to offer.
    And thanks to those that have offered another perspective-it is greatly appreciated.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You can do as you please... rude or not, doesn't change the fact that my advice is sound.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I found out that lifting the right way was key to preventing injury (and pain )
    I got personal trainer to show me proper techniques - no injuries or pain since
    Good luck
    Matt
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I teach Bodypump which is high rep/low weight. Around 800 reps a class! It has totally changed my body. They have done research that it can be just as effective doing high rep/low weight as it is just a few reps at a high weight. Plus I get cardio in there because my HR is raised for a longer time. Both are good!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

This is true. After heavy lifting for a month now my chronic tension/pain in my right shoulder and arm is basically gone. This is tension from sitting and typing at a desk most of the day. Lifting has been the only thing that helped... not even a regular massage from my husband helps.

I'm trying to talk my husband into lifting heavy with me. He got hurt doing deadlifts a couple of years ago. And so he shied away from it. I'm trying to talk him into doing it to see if he can correct his back pain. But correct form is crucial. I'm just at the point right now where I deadlift more than my own body weight... and let me tell you, its a weird and sort of scary feeling doing that! I am very concerned about my form at this point and considering meeting with a coach maybe once or twice. I've been lifting at home only, reading Starting Strength and watching the DVD.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

This is true. After heavy lifting for a month now my chronic tension/pain in my right shoulder and arm is basically gone. This is tension from sitting and typing at a desk most of the day. Lifting has been the only thing that helped... not even a regular massage from my husband helps.

I'm trying to talk my husband into lifting heavy with me. He got hurt doing deadlifts a couple of years ago. And so he shied away from it. I'm trying to talk him into doing it to see if he can correct his back pain. But correct form is crucial. I'm just at the point right now where I deadlift more than my own body weight... and let me tell you, its a weird and sort of scary feeling doing that! I am very concerned about my form at this point and considering meeting with a coach maybe once or twice. I've been lifting at home only, reading Starting Strength and watching the DVD.

Professional critique is the best option
    Barring that ask your husband to check your form when you lift. You can tell him what to look for if necessary
    Third option is to tape yourself lifting and critique yourself.

All three are useful.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I teach Bodypump which is high rep/low weight. Around 800 reps a class! It has totally changed my body. They have done research that it can be just as effective doing high rep/low weight as it is just a few reps at a high weight. Plus I get cardio in there because my HR is raised for a longer time. Both are good!

Depends on what your goals are and what you consider effective. No one is saying high rep is useless, it's just a question of what gets you to your goals most efficiently.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Professional critique is the best option
    Barring that ask your husband to check your form when you lift. You can tell him what to look for if necessary
    Third option is to tape yourself lifting and critique yourself.

All three are useful.

I do get him to watch me while I squat and tell me when I hit parallel... then try like hell to get a little lower. Lol. We haven't taped it yet. I'll do that next, good idea.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lift heavy.
    As much as I can manage for 8-10 reps.

I keep getting recommendations from people (like my chiropractor) to lift less weight, and do higher reps.

what would be the benefit of light weights/more reps as opposed to lifting heavy?
    I know there are a lot of replies on this thread already... Just wanted to share advice I got about lifting, from a personal trainer. There are two choices when lifting, lifting heavy and wasting your time!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you guys are all on about - I saw a lady come into the gym looking normal - first set of curls and she had arms like Arnie.

True story*

*not a true story
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I don't know what you guys are all on about - I saw a lady come into the gym looking normal - first set of curls and she had arms like Arnie.

True story*

*not a true story

Based on actual events