Dr. Oz and supplements

Options
13»

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Is Dr. Oz a real Doctor?

I don't know these things. Too lazy to Google.

lol I had to google to find out because I had always heard he wasn't a "real" doctor but he does have a medical degree and is a Cardiac Surgeon. He is not a nutritionist, trainer or dietician. He also has a business degree which I suppose that 's why he's so good at jumping onto every band wagon that is going to make him some money! :laugh:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Lucky for him, as the testing for apple juice didnt include all countries exporting it to the US........Certain countries used pestacides and certiain one didnt...........he didnt elaborate on that, he said "ALL APPLE JUICE contained pestacides" and only used one testing company......he went into it half blind and wanted to stir up drama for ratings.....it was a joke

he did a half assed job of testing and then porceeded to say that all the juice was killing kids..............sorry, that is not a professional way of testing., it takes years of testing and research. He just jumped on the band wagon............another one of his useless informative rants......
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Why health professionals become quacks reason #7- The profit motive. Quackery can be extremely lucrative. Claiming to have a "better mousetrap" can cause the world to beat a path to one's door. Greed can motivate entrepreneurial practitioners to set ethical principles aside.

I think this applies to Dr. Oz.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If your were to take every supplement that Dr. Oz recommends, you would have little room in your stomach for real food.

This is probably the only way you'll lose weight following what Dr Oz says!
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    IMHO, Dr. Oz is a quack. But even if he isn't -- neither he nor any other doctor on tv knows YOU, the individual patient. Your own doctor should be aware of your family medical history, your own medical history and your present condition. He/she should also be aware of every medication you take, even those sold over the counter, like Tylenol. When you buy all these supplements, you don't know whether they will clash with your present medication or whether they will affect any current health condition. A number of supplements interfere with medications. Some are even poisonous combined wiith other medications. And if you have, say, heart disease, these products could worsen the problem and maybe even kill you. Even products that art organic or natural could still hurt or kill you.

So see the doctor first before you do or take something you saw on tv. Doing so could save your life.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Vitamin E may raise prostate cancer risk

The Associated Press

Posted: Oct 11, 2011 4:37 PM ET

Last Updated: Oct 11, 2011 4:35 PM ET

Related Links
    FAQs: Prostate cancerBACKGROUND: Vitamin controversy

External Links
    Vitamin E and prostate cancer study, JAMA
    (Note:CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.)

A study that followed up on men who took high doses of the vitamin E for about five years found they had a slightly increased risk of prostate cancer, even after they quit taking the pills.

Doctors say it's another sign that people should be careful about using vitamins and other supplements.

another one of Dr Ozs mistakes, along with his hlaf baked apple juice testing process...............
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    But my husband heard him say that people who take supplements don't live as long as those that just eat healthy. So what is he saying?
    I don't know if I believe he gets paid, I haven't watched him in a while, but he only suggested supplements by type not by brand when I did watch.

"HEARD HIM SAY..." therefore... it means buy these supplements! I promise you, there is a flock of seagulls out there buying ONLY the exact brands of supplements he mentions on his shows. Product placement is huge, and people don't even realize it when they line up at the store!

Check this out! Available at Dr. Oz's website :D

"By Tod Cooperman, MD, President, ConsumerLab.com

ConsumerLab.com is offering a 24-hour free pass to Dr. Oz viewers. Visit www.ConsumerLab.com/DoctorOz now and get immediate access to ConsumerLab.com’s unbiased testing of fish oil, ginseng and St. John’s Wort supplements."

He may only be saying "take fish oil" but he is really saying BUY THIS STUFF FROM THIS STORE OR WEBSITE... because "I got you such a great deal!"
  • Kiravaillant
    Options
    IF THESE MAGIC SUPPLEMENT WORKED THERE WOULD BE NO SUCH THING AS OBESITY!! FACT!! COMING FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS SHOVED EVERY DIET PILL AND SUPPLEMENT DOWN HER THROAT POSSIBLE! (NOT ANY MORE AS THEY DONT WORK!!) GOOD HEALTHY EATING AND EXCERSIZE NEVER HURT ANYONE X X X X
  • ladyhawkgg
    Options
    I do think Dr Oz knows about this stuff but who do you think his sponsors are. Hello people!!! Who pays for him to advertise this stuff. And once more is all this stuff FDA approved. I do like herbs and believe you can use them to help. But all in all they are just advertising. He would just have to live on supplements if he took all of them. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. You will have to take the gamble and try. That's just my two cents worth.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Dr. Oz is the last person you want to take advice from.

Seriously.

People pay him to peddle their products, he doesn't give a *kitten* about your health.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is the last person you want to take advice from.

Seriously.

People pay him to peddle their products, he doesn't give a *kitten* about your health.

Couldn't agree more!! Sometimes I watch him while running at the gym. I find that the anger I feel listening to his ridiculous advice just fuels my run that much more! I can't stand him! :grumble:
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    If you think you need a vitamin supplement, the generic multi-vitamin is as good as any with a fancy brand name. We pay BILLIONS per year on not needed supplements for just about every ailment you can imagine. In the past I have spent a small fortune of my hard earned money on that stuff and not once did I ever notice any difference or feel any different.

I dont think this is true. We sell vitamins, and have had alot of training on the way they work in our bodies. You have to look at the absorption rate, most generics only give you 10% of the vitamin. Id rather do my research and pay for one that is doing my body good. They have definitely made a difference in the way that I feel, and sometimes I don't realize it until I start to get a cold or something, and realize that it didn't last very long. They do help.

i have to ask... what vitamins are best for absorption - brand names? you can send me a message if you'd rather not post on here... not sure if you're allowed to say antyhing about certain brands but i'm really very curious which ones are the best

Same here...I would love to know about what supplements are good according to your training...I am a sucker for most supplements & would love someone to help me that is not just trying to sell me something...Any info would be appreciated. :)
  • WorkingMom78
    Options
    I have been taking Ketokut pills for 3 weeks. I decided to try after watching Dr Oz show. Of course I was a little sceptikal but found a good deal on amazon (one month treatment for $20) so I decided to give it a try. I have to admit I feel lighter, lost a couple of pounds but mostly feel energized and great about my body and myself. I am gonna keep on taking it for another couple of months to see how it goes. Anyone here who tried Ketokut?
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Used to watch him all the time ...... I'm glad he's got America on a health kick ...... but every day it was some new, improved wonder miracle thing ...... and it got too crazy ....... I walked around my health food store last month & it looked like every other item was tagged "as approved by Dr. Oz" ...... enough is enough !

I'd have to rob a bank anyway to buy all that stuff ...... so I just try to eat better, drink water, move more, take my daily vitamin ...... and that's good enough FOR ME ..... I seriously hope everyone finds what works for them ...... happy losing !
  • WorkingMom78
    Options
    For sure, not everything that he advised to take is affordable and a good diet and some exercise are the basis to be and look healthy.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would really just not buy anything he promotes. And I would stop watching him altogether. He is a quack who is only out to get richer. Please research things yourself. Don't buy something just because some "doctor" on tv tells you to. He's not a nutritionist nor is he a dietician. He's a heart surgeon. Why do you think he has a tv show? To make money. He's a fraud.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Dr Oz... yes he pushes something new every day, but I don't think he is claiming they are a cure all. I started taking tonalin (CLA) and LOVE it, which he recommended. So its not necessarily all bad
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Remember: if you're balancing your diet with the appropriate blend of vegetables, fruits, proteins, and healthy carbs, you shouldn't *need* any of those supplements. Your intestines will only absorb the vitamins and minerals you need: the rest comes out as waste. Keep recording your food/exercise, make good decisions, and you'll be slowly healthier and fitter!

not true. i am deficient in vitamin d and i could drink milk and eat fish until i exploded and i still need a supplement for that.

and me for b12....I get my levels all the way up stop the pills and downward we go...nothing I eat or do will stop this...my dad was b12 deficient as mom is too. So yep pills it is.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I dont think this is true. We sell vitamins, and have had alot of training on the way they work in our bodies. You have to look at the absorption rate, most generics only give you 10% of the vitamin. Id rather do my research and pay for one that is doing my body good. They have definitely made a difference in the way that I feel, and sometimes I don't realize it until I start to get a cold or something, and realize that it didn't last very long. They do help.

Spoken like a true MLM rep, oh wait.....you sell Amway......

Clinical studies to back up your assertions?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    IMHO, Dr. Oz is a quack. But even if he isn't -- neither he nor any other doctor on tv knows YOU, the individual patient. Your own doctor should be aware of your family medical history, your own medical history and your present condition. He/she should also be aware of every medication you take, even those sold over the counter, like Tylenol. When you buy all these supplements, you don't know whether they will clash with your present medication or whether they will affect any current health condition. A number of supplements interfere with medications. Some are even poisonous combined wiith other medications. And if you have, say, heart disease, these products could worsen the problem and maybe even kill you. Even products that art organic or natural could still hurt or kill you.

So see the doctor first before you do or take something you saw on tv. Doing so could save your life.

Agree 100%