Eating disorder?

Options
LenaMena87
LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
So yesterday I had a girl tell me she thinks I have an eating disorder because I run and do zumba everyday. How does zumba/running and eating disorder relate? I was taken aback from this. How horrible can people really be? I've lost 28-30 lbs total since Jan. 04 and she's lost around 15-20 and we started at the same time. I eat right...well I try and she's a fast food junkie. How should I take this? I feel like I just got stabbed in the back.

Replies

• avaloneternal
    Options
    Try not to take it personally. I think her comment smells suspiciously like jealousy. Just sayin'
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Jealousy. As long as you are eating all your cals, including exercise ones, don't worry about it.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You do not have an eating disorder, the best thing to do is ignore her and go about your way. She's just trying to get a rise out of you, don't let it work.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I would take it as someone who doesn't know or understand why you are losing faster than she is. Maybe she is upset that you have lost almost double what she has lost and lashing out. Take it as a back-handed compliment. Congrats girl!
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    It's jealousy. Move on and just show her how more fabulous you are. :flowerforyou:
  • maggiemay365
    maggiemay365 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    she is jealous..plain as the nose on your face..enjoy your workout..like anything else it can become a healthy habit!
  • Kiravaillant
    Options
    I HAVE A FRIEND LIKE THIS TO..... CLEARLY BECAUSE THEY EAT JUNK N SIT ON THER ARSES ALL DAY LONG MAKE THEM THINK LIKE THAT WELL GOOD OLD BRITISH SAYING SOD EM!! SEE ME I RUB MY HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS IN HER FACE EVERYTIME I SEE HER LOL SHE WILL BE THE ONE WALKING WITH A ZIMMA FRAME WHEN SHE IS 60 WHILST WE ARE RUNNING PAST THEM!! DONT WORRY HUN IF YOU ARE DOING IT PROPERLY WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK...
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Tell her you USED to have an eating disorder. You used to eat the wrong stuff but now you don't! Way to go and don't let ANYONE bother you. This is YOUR mission and you are doing fantastic! :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Are you eating? Are you eating and not throwing up? If you say "yes" to both of those then chances are you don't have an eating disorder and she's just a jealous *kitten*.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    So it's really about the exercise? I mean -- there isn't anything about your diet that would give her a reason to think that? I think as long as you truly are eating as much as you need to, you can take it one of two ways:
    1. She is either jealous because you're losing faster or she just doesn't understand that different people will lose weight at different rates, depending on a variety of factors. Or...
    2. She really is concerned about you because of how focused you are on your diet and exercise. This doesn't mean she SHOULD be concerned though.
    Either way, as long as you truly are eating healthy, you can take what she says very lightly. I guess you could point out to her all the things you are doing that are leading to your rapid success, and let her know (gently) that what she said is not helpful. Offer to take a look at her own plan with her and give her a few suggestions how she might speed up her weight loss if that's what she's worried about. Getting defensive and mad probably won't do anything except ruin your relationship so maybe it's time for a little grace. Laugh it off if you can!
  • jillij7
    jillij7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If shes a close friend of yours (other than the jealousy) she might genuinely be worried. You have had a pretty big weight loss...(congrats - yay!!) and as long as you are eating and exercizing healthily I would just tell her that you are just trying to live a better lifestyle and not to worry. But maybe you could help give her pointers :wink:
  • LenaMena87
    Options
    You guys are awesome! To answer the question about if I'm eating? Yes I eat daily!!! I love food and no vomiting for this girl or binge eating! My husband thinks I'm doing great but it just kind of hurt my feelings yesterday for her to say that.
  • TieshTheGreat
    TieshTheGreat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Girl do NOT let her hurt your feelings. Plain and simple that's jealousy talking. I've been following your progress and you are doing an AMAZING job. You have and continue to inspire me. You know what they say...let your haters be your motivators!!! (I can't believe I just used that quote)

Continue on with your journey. Show her just how bad your "eating disorder" is!
  • LenaMena87
    Options
    Girl do NOT let her hurt your feelings. Plain and simple that's jealousy talking. I've been following your progress and you are doing an AMAZING job. You have and continue to inspire me. You know what they say...let your haters be your motivators!!! (I can't believe I just used that quote)

Continue on with your journey. Show her just how bad your "eating disorder" is!

Lol OMG you just made my day!
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ignore her.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Since you're eating healthily, it sounds to me like she's trying to justify her own bad eating habits. Oh it can't be that you're doing the right stuff, you MUST have an eating disorder, that MUST be why you're losing weight faster than she is. Just ignore her.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    If anything you have zumba or running endorphin addiction ;) Just tell her that!

In all seriousness if your exercise feels like a compulsion and not just something you enjoy it CAN be an issue, do you feel horrid and guilty if you miss a day? If not, then congrats you just like to exercise. If you do feel guilt you might want to explore those feelings deeper. ::shrugs:: She is just probably a little bummed though, but I mean, she has lost 15 lbs in 10 weeks, so I wouldn't call her a bum, y'all! 1.5 a week is great/amazing too ;)
  • LenaMena87
    Options
    Haha no I don't feel horrible about not running a day or too or zumba! I think everyone should give their body a rest 1-3 times a week honestly!!!! There is no excuse really not to exercise daily though...whether it be cardio or strength training...that's just my opinion though. Oh did I mention I have a personal trainer and a nutritionist and they are amazing!!!
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    I think you're doing a great job :)
    Keep going and don't listen to those people :)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of great advice here from other ladies, but as someone who has an eating disorder, I'd like to weigh in. (No pun intended, ha ha)

I am bulimic. I no longer binge and purge, but once a bulimic, always a bulimic, as they say. (Much like alcoholics.) It reads to me like you have made a firm decision to get fit and healthy, and your exercise schedule reflects your determination! (I'm right there with you...I work out for a total of one hour a day 6 days a week.) And anyone who makes negative comments about that should simply be ignored.

I'm sure your "friend" has NO IDEA what an eating disorder actually is. She will see over time that you are healthy and fit, and she will probably get even more jealous. Too bad for her...so make a new friend. :)