Losing weight with PCOS

Options
13»

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Did you read about the research showing there may be a link between the gene that causes premature balding in men, and their daughters' PCOS? I came across so many interesting bits of trivia during my research, including how cinnamon was discovered to improve fasting glucose levels.

I find it all fascinating but, at the same time, as I move closer to menopause and have seemingly cracked the sudden weight gain nut (fingers crossed that it continues), i'm just glad I'm getting back to normal. (Thank you, cinnamon.) If only I could go back to the inovulatory dysfunction.... I suppose there's something to be said for predictability, I guess. ...Every 28 days.

I did not know about the balding connection! However, it is *definitely* not true in my case. My dad and all of the men on his side have a full head of hair.

I really want to try the cinnamon. Very helpful! I have stalled in my weight loss as well.

As far as the other symptoms, I have been taking metformin for about 9 years. It completely fixed my menstrual cycle within a month, and I have never missed a period since. It also cleared up my acne, and over time, my body hair has diminished greatly. I still have the facial hair, unfortunately, but I did many hours of electrolysis to address that. I can't do laser hair removal at *all* because it does not work on red hair.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Your doctor may be hesistant to test if you are not *missing* periods. That's one of the requirements for a PCOS diagnosis.

The other requirement is elevated androgens in the blood (testosterone). This is a simple blood test.

Some doctors like to do an ultrasound to check for ovarian cysts. Other doctors do not feel this is necessary.

This always makes me feel weird when I read it, and when I claim to have PCOS. My doctor diagnosed me with it after years of going back and forth because I have so many of the symptoms, but I don't have the "most important" ones. My periods are not all the irregular, and until I was in my 20s, they were so regular I could have told you a year in advance when my period was going to start. Also, I got pregnant without intervention 3 times. The first time we had been trying for over a year, but after that I didn't have trouble. I suspect that the difference between the first pregnancy and the next two is that I was breastfeeding both the 2nd and 3rd times. Breastfeeding helps regulate glucose and insulin. Many of my symptoms improved while I was breastfeeding. Of course I was sort of lucky just to be able to GET pregnant the first time, and then to be able to successfully breastfeed. I have insulin resistance, facial hair, weight issues that go back to my childhood. I thought for years I didn't have PCOS because I wasn't infertile and my periods aren't as irregular as most women's with PCOS. But I think I have every single other symptom I've ever read!

I've wondered if I actually have something a little different than PCOS because of this. However, so far everything that works for women with PCOS works for me, so I just go with it and don't worry too much.

So anyway, my point is, and I DO have one LOL, is that even if you don't have a diagnosis and if you don't meet all the criteria, IF the treatment makes a positive difference, just go with it. Make the dietary changes, take the supplements, exercise, and avoid sugar, and reap the benefits.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    mstengel - if your blood work and ultrasound were normal, that suggests you don't have PCOS. But it's worth talking to your doctor about it. You should talk to your doctor regardless. It's possible to "reset" the menstrual cycle with a short term dose of hormones. I did this many times before I took metformin, and I had periods that went for weeks at a time. A high dose of progesterone stopped my period and reset all of the other hormones. Maybe a similar thing is possible in your case.

good luck!
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    You do not need to go drastic low/no carb extreme... but the MFP defaults are much too high. I changed mine to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat and it works for me.

Cinnamon worked like magic for me but, coincidentally, someone I respect suggested I change my diet and aim for 20-25% protein, 30-35% fat, and 40-45% carb's.

I am new to MFP and only recently figured out how to adjust my dietary goals. When I tried to adjust the fat/carb/protein ratio, the closest I could get to the amounts recommended for me was what you just described, since the program doesn't seem to permit truly manual input.

I've only been with MFP for a week, but have been consistently losing around 2-2.5lbs/week for the past couple of months (since literally the day I started taking 3g of cinnamon per day). Since I joined MFP, I've been gradually optimizing my fat/carb/protein ratio. Eight days in and I've lost 4lbs so far...almost double the norm. I know that can't...probably shouldn't...last. But I feel like it might be partly due to getting a bit more protein in me, while reducing carb's a bit. I do feel like it is helping. I'm all about that pie chart on my phone. ;-)
  • peacemongernc
    Options
    I still have the facial hair, unfortunately, but I did many hours of electrolysis to address that. I can't do laser hair removal at *all* because it does not work on red hair.

My doctor put me on Spironolactone to help with facial hair. It is a diuretic and blood pressure medicine, but a side affect is that it helps to prevent the worsening of facial hair in women. It doesn't do much to get rid of what you have, but it slows the growth and helps keep it from getting worse over time. I still have a lot, and it has gotten worse over the past 10 years I've been taking the meds, but it seems to me that it isn't getting worse as rapidly as it was. Also, now that I have high BP, which I didn't have 10 years ago, it helps with edema.

I'm REALLY hoping my BP will be normal after I drop some weight. I guess it is too much to ask that my facial hair will go away, though.
  • peacemongernc
    Options
    [
    Cinnamon worked like magic for me but, coincidentally, someone I respect suggested I change my diet and aim for 20-25% protein, 30-35% fat, and 40-45% carb's.

I am new to MFP and only recently figured out how to adjust my dietary goals. When I tried to adjust the fat/carb/protein ratio, the closest I could get to the amounts recommended for me was what you just described, since the program doesn't seem to permit truly manual input.

I think mine is set to about what your friend suggested. When I tried to change mine, I adjusted the amount of saturated fat and sodium at the same time. It wouldn't accent what I had put in until I went through and calculated the amount of saturated, and unsaturated fats, so that they would add up to what I had for the total fat goal. Does that make sense? After I recalculated my individual types of fats, it accepted the changes I made in the other percentages. All the math has to add up.

I keep thinking I need more protein, but I'm having trouble just making it to 25% protein without my saturated fat going too high. I don't really LIKE most protein.

I haven't been a member here very long, but I'd be happy to try to help you with the manual settings if you want to try to tweak them. No promises, but I'll try!

Shannon
  • privatetime
    Options
    Did you read about the research showing there may be a link between the gene that causes premature balding in men, and their daughters' PCOS?

I did not know about the balding connection! However, it is *definitely* not true in my case. My dad and all of the men on his side have a full head of hair.

I'm starting to think the gene thing is going to be debunked, or shown to be only relevant in some cases. Even though my own father went bald early, only about 50% of the PCOS women I've asked also have fathers who went bald prematurely. I don't know what the rate of premature balding is in men, but potentially 50% of the maybe 10% of women (who have PCOS) may just be the expected rate of premature balding in men.
  • privatetime
    Options
    I keep thinking I need more protein, but I'm having trouble just making it to 25% protein without my saturated fat going too high. I don't really LIKE most protein.

I haven't been a member here very long, but I'd be happy to try to help you with the manual settings if you want to try to tweak them. No promises, but I'll try!

Shannon

Thank you so much, Shannon! You are so sweet! :-) I, too, struggle with achieving that protein goal, while getting enough calories and nutrients. I'm vegan, and even though there are lots of great plant-based proteins, they are also, in and of themselves, carb's.
  • shannon4health
    Options
    Hi ladies, thanks so much for posting all this fabulous info:):):)

I am wondering if i may be struggling with this as well. Never been diagnosed but have some symptoms.

I am STUCK with my weight loss...when i do 'behave and stick to calories" I still dont' lose weight unless I work my bum off and i have found that I still sometimes gain weight. I could cry!!! It's so frustrating. I wanted to lose 10 pounds in February and NOPE nothing!!! I have been upping my workouts and trying to track my foods and I am so irritated. I actually gained a couple pounds!!!

I cut all gluten out in January and cut out all sugar, all pork, and dairy and that is how I was losing. I guess It sounds Like i need to go back to that extreme to lose.

Please add me as a friend:) It's great meeting you all on here:):):):)

thanks and God Bless
    Shannon
  • agentscully514
    Options

My doctor put me on Spironolactone to help with facial hair. It is a diuretic and blood pressure medicine, but a side affect is that it helps to prevent the worsening of facial hair in women. It doesn't do much to get rid of what you have, but it slows the growth and helps keep it from getting worse over time. I still have a lot, and it has gotten worse over the past 10 years I've been taking the meds, but it seems to me that it isn't getting worse as rapidly as it was. Also, now that I have high BP, which I didn't have 10 years ago, it helps with edema.

I'm REALLY hoping my BP will be normal after I drop some weight. I guess it is too much to ask that my facial hair will go away, though.

I did try spironolactone years ago, and unfortunately it did nothing for me. so electrolysis was the only route. Metformin did seem to help little bit, but not enough. So I did mybe 200+ hours of electrollysis. I still need more, but I can't afford it these days. I dearly wish I could do laser but with red/blonde hair, there is just no way.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I suspect I have PCOS, but my dr. seems hesitant to test me for it. I am having no problem losing weight, but do have some of the other symptoms (i.e. heavy periods, extreme water retention, a LOT of facial hair). What is the process for the testing?

My doctor had no clue what PCOS was! I had to bring him articles and diagnosis myself -- and them made him refer me to an endocrinologist --- who finally diagnosed it and made me realize I was not just crazy!

It's sad that so many primary care doctors are clueless about PCOS -- you have to be your own advocate sometimes.

Good luck!!
  • mnbramos
    mnbramos Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    mstengel - if your blood work and ultrasound were normal, that suggests you don't have PCOS. But it's worth talking to your doctor about it. You should talk to your doctor regardless. It's possible to "reset" the menstrual cycle with a short term dose of hormones. I did this many times before I took metformin, and I had periods that went for weeks at a time. A high dose of progesterone stopped my period and reset all of the other hormones. Maybe a similar thing is possible in your case.

good luck!

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely be looking into it, I'd rather be safe than sorry
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I have been taking 400mcg/day of Chromium for the last couple months, and notice that I'm at least maintaining my weight despite having a stressful/food-filled like. Better than gaining, so I'm counting that as a success!

I am getting ready to add Cinnamon tomorrow and am curious to see how it goes!

Any new thoughts on this subject?
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 180 pounds with it. I found moderate carbs and high protein with a pretty intense exercise program (cardio and resistance works best for me) I dont take any medications (metformin makes me very weak and have dizzy spells) but have noticed a significant improvement in the hair on my stomach. My cycle was every 7 months or so when at my highest weight (380 pounds) but now its very regular (every 28-32 days and has been for at least the last 18 months)
  • notenoughsleep
    Options
    I started reading this based upon the cinnamon respose to help PCOS and it's true! Metformin never helped me infact I was gaining weight on Metformin and it seemed to make things worst. I tried only one 500mg tablet of cinnamon each day along with a multivitamin everyday for 30 days. I would say within 27 days of the 30 days my period came on prior to this it had been missing for four months. The next thing I noticed was that I had "naturally" lost 3 pounds and to this day I am still losing weight consistantly but slowly losing about a pound to a pound in a half per month with only just cutting back calories wise (no exercise but my job has me literally on my feet all day long). I no longer feel as hungry as I did prior to taking the cinnamon, so it's curbed my appetite because of the effect it is having on my blood sugar level. I also use to skip breakfast which is something no one should do whether you have PCOS or not. Now in the morning I eat a moderate calorie breakfast and take my cinnamon and vitamins. (7:30-8:00 am - breakfast, then lunch, snack, dinner try all before 7 pm)
  • VeganBoo
    Options
    Thanks for all the info ladies!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I do not have PCOS but I wanted to share anyways...
    Last week my naturopath recommended I take DIM supplements for a condition I have that is, like PCOS, estrogen dependent. I guess the DIM gets rid of the excess bad estrogens (xenoestrogens) and helps your body to balance out. It is all natural, from cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, except you'd have to eat pounds of veggies each day to get the same benefit. The reason I mention it is because as I've been researching it for myself, I've seen a lot of positive mention of use for PCOS so maybe you ladies might be interested in learning a bit more too! Best of luck!