do you count calories before or after you eat

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    After I eat, since most of the time I don't know what I am going to have (in detail) for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I will actually try and pre-log my whole work week so that I can have an idea of what I want to shop for at the store on Sundays. I don't always stick to it, but I like to have a rough plan for the week.
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    Always before I eat.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I don't believe in pre-logging food or exercise, it's too easy to forget or not do what u hoped to do.......I don't log exercise until I'm done, I log foods as I eat them......:)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I will actually try and pre-log my whole work week so that I can have an idea of what I want to shop for at the store on Sundays. I don't always stick to it, but I like to have a rough plan for the week.
    Oh I try to do that too. It's never happened yet.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Before, never after. I add up the entire day before I eat anything.
  • eedossa
    eedossa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I track before, especially my exercise... that way I really have to do it! It works most days...lol
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Usually after, unless I have cooked a meal and have put the recipe in...then I will go ahead and put in my calories for that meal. Otherwise, I just wait until I eat it.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I always try to plan my day the day before. I'm really really bad at winging it throughout the day.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Typically before I eat. But not always.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i always log my dinners a week in advance.. each night i sit and figure out what to eat to hit my macros for the next day.
    SOMEtimes if i know ill be overeating during the week (birthday party or some other get together) ill log everything for the week along with planned exercise to make sure i dont go over my weekly net goal
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Always before. I do a weekly meal plan so I know what I'm eating each day in the morning. I log everything then and make adjustments (usually to add calories) based on what I come up with. Gotta have a plan.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I do it the night before...
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    I plan my day in the morning, but make changes as needed.

For example, if I say I'm going to eat 12 oz of salmon, but it really weighs 13 oz, I'll make the correction after dinner. Or if I'm hungry and eat some nuts or drink a protein shake that I didn't account for, I'll add via the iPhone app.

I'm particular like that :)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    just wondering :)

Both. I plan my day out with what I plan to eat, but I allow some calories as a cushion so I can add something just when I need it, and sometimes I don't eat something I planned because I'm not hungry. I feel like I should have some plan, but be flexible if I need to be. You only live once, so if someone brings a treat in at work, I might delete something I'd planned and have one, you know?
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do better if a plan my meals the night before.
  • giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Always before :) exercise after
  • dogmom325
    dogmom325 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that I eat better if I count before. Then I stick with the meal that I planned
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Really this is no different that being diabetic and needing to keep your suger level even. My late husband was diabetic and it was always much better to plan the entire day in advance.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Usually before. Especially if I'm going out to eat-- that works for me, psychologically. If it's already logged into MFP, I'm more likely to stick to what I had planned. I'm kind of a planner in general though, so that's how my mind tends to work. And I like to know what I'm working with as early in the day as possible to stay within my limits.