I feel like a failure.

Options
I am quite out of shape. I'm 5'6" 175lbs. and am used to absolutely no movement whatsoever. I don't even walk up stairs if I can take an elevator - that's how lazy I am.

I re-joined the gym last night and was only able to do 20 minutes on an elliptical trainer before I had to stop because I was dizzy and couldn't breathe. So I stopped and went home. And cried.

How am I ever going to do this if I can't exercise? If I keep doing 20 minutes a day for now, will my stamina ever increase?

Replies

• marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I could have written this post in November of last year. I was the LAZIEST person on the planet. Forget the stairs man, and there was no way in hell I would walk somewhere if I could drive, take a shuttle, or be transported in some other fashion that required absolutely NO energy on my part. I got on the elliptical and had the same problem. I was beat! My legs hurt, my feet hurt, my chest hurt, I was breathless.

Fast forward to now, i can do an hour on the elliptical no problem.

So to answer your question, go slow, your stamina will increase. Mine did. I suggest doing 20 minutes a day, slow pace for about a week. Then the next week, increase it by 5 minutes, then 5 more the following week. You will be at your target time in no time!!! I promise!
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Do as much as you can, then the next day try a little longer, and the next time a bit longer and you will get to where you can do more than you thought possible. You have to keep at it though.

If you never exercised before, 20 mins is a good start!
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't give up. Everyone has to start somewhere and it can be extremely difficult. Just let your body be your guide. It will tell you when you need to stop and once the shock phase is over it will adjust accordingly. Give it time, it gets better....A LOT better :)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :)
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You did better than I did the first time...I could only do 10 minutes! And I looked like crap, red, sweaty, out of breath. Now I can go for an hour! Every day it gets easier, I promise! Keep it up!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yes, you'll get stronger and stronger. 20 minutes on the elliptical is AWESOME! When I was working on getting in shape, I could only do 5 minutes at a time and the most I was ever able to do was 25. Had a baby in December and am workiing on gettingback in shape- had to start with 5 minutes again, and can now do between 10-15, so for you to be able to do 20 to start with is great! Just keep with it and also try other machines- you can do it!
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    From nothing to 20 minutes on a treadmill is not failure. Don't kick yourself. Just keep at it, it will get easier with time. You should be proud of every little (and big) accomplishment.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You are NOT a failure. Admitting your problem, joining a gym, and getting in a hard workout have nothing to do with failure. That 20 minutes will get easier overtime, and turn into 25, then 30 before you know it, but only if you stick with it and keep pushing yourself. There are people on this site that lost way more than 55 pounds who started out with just walking or something similar, and were able to go onto much harder and longer workouts from there. You can do this!
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I too am 5'6" and started at 165 lbs last summer, tho i am sure at some point i was a few pounds higher. Thru diet and making sure i slowly push myself more and more in exercise, i went from being a walker only to being able to run 10.5 miles in the last week... Took me 1 hr and 56 mins, but if i can do that from starting at jogging for 30 second stints in September, You can DO THIS! trust me, its within reach, just be realistic and once you find comfort in a certain amount of time doing an exercise, push a little longer, and eventually you will see things changing and improving. it takes time, and consistent effort. If you are in this for the long haul, you will succeed!!
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who is way more out of shape than you are...you CAN do this! TAKE IT SLOW! Start at 20 minutes for the first few days, then gradually add 5 minutes when you don't feel like you're going to die from doing the 20. You will be surprised at how quickly your body will adapt! Before you know it, you'll be doing twice that and not even breathing hard!
    Good luck and take it easy on yourself! You are doing a good thing...and it isn't a race. :o)
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    6 months ago I could not walk up my stairs without getting out of breath. the first time I got on the elliptical I think I did less than 20 min, on the easiest setting. Today, I did week 2 day 3 of couch to 5K, 30 min on the Arc machine and 30 min on the elliptical(set at level 12). That is almost 2 hours!! I am hoping to run a 5K this July, just to be able to know In a year I went from not being able to walk up stairs, to a 5K in one year, forget the scale, that will really mean something.

You can do it too!! just take it one day, one step at a time.
  • deftanker
    deftanker Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Nope not a failure!

I just started last week as well (on the elliptical even) and started at level 15 and nearly puked at the 27 minute mark. I have been back 5 times and have complete 2 45 minute sessions level 20 (out of 25).

Your body is just waking up. Drink lots of water!!

WAY TO GO!!
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You've started this journey to get healthier.....stick with it. Personally I think 20 minutes your first time out is really great! That's 20 minutes more than you did the day before - isn't it??!! I understand being discouraged when you think about how inactive you were in the past....once you start seeing progress and feeling better, you'll even wonder why you wasted so much time....but look to the future...not the past. You are in a new phase in life and it will be GREAT!!!!!....maybe not always easy...but definitely GREAT!!
  • deason6
    deason6 Posts: 13
    Options
    Yes, your stamina will increase. I begun exercising last week and the first day or two I felt like a failure because everyone passed by me. I felt down also. But I quickly reminded myself that I was just starting and my body wasn't use to exercising. Now I am up to 3 miles in an hour a day! I look for to walking everyday! So, just hold on it will get better! Good Luck!!
  • smsavoy
    smsavoy Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Trust me i totally understand where your coming from, but you are not a failure. You are taking the right steps in the right directions. If you increase your time a little every day, then one day before you know it you will be doing an hour or more.
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad! I STILL can't do the elliptical AT ALL! I walk two hours a day on the treadmill at 4.0 and I can't even get going on the elliptical. The fact that you took charge and started is a huge step. Try doing the treadmill and other less impact exercises and you will feel better. Think of it as if you were to jump into a class halfway through the school year. You would be lost! It is the same with exercise we can't go 0-60 without starting at 1. Try doing something a little easier and keep doing your 20 mins on the elliptical it will slowly build up.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel like a failure. I've been your almost exact height and weight before and felt crushingly defeated when I first tried the gym.

Your success is not going to be a measure of how long you're able to stay on a treadmill. It's a measure of how hard you are working. Your 20 minutes was a great start, next time make sure you're not on a completely empty or full stomach, and well hydrated. When you feel lightheaded and dizzy during exercise, it's because you are trying to work out a body that doesn't have enough water in it.

Please don't convince yourself that you "can't" work out... You can!! It's okay to start out slowly. Everyone has days they feel like they have failed... What matters is that you try.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    you are not a failure!! 20 mins is a long time!!! great start!! it will get easier the more you do it. next time you go add a few minutes and keep adding every time and you will see a great improvement!! keep it up :)

i was also a very lazy person but it does get easier!!
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Feel proud that you got out there and did anything. You could have sat at home and done nothing, continuing the path you've been on.

And hey, 20 minutes on the elliptical isn't anything to be ashamed about. Especially being a person that's typically sedentary.

Embrace yourself, feel good about what you did, and continue on tomorrow :-)

Everyone has to start somewhere!
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I'm crying here at work and everyone thinks I'm crazy! (I cry a lot, can you tell?)

I WILL go back tonight and really try to do 20 minutes. I'll make sure that I drink more than I did yesterday.

I feel so much better knowing it's ok to not be able to do stuff right now, but that I will get there one day.

THANK YOU!
  • deftanker
    deftanker Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I'm crying here at work and everyone thinks I'm crazy! (I cry a lot, can you tell?)

I WILL go back tonight and really try to do 20 minutes. I'll make sure that I drink more than I did yesterday.

I feel so much better knowing it's ok to not be able to do stuff right now, but that I will get there one day.

THANK YOU!

KICK SOME *kitten*!!!!