What is the earliest...

Options
13»

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    this made is so sad, but it's amazing that you're brain could go back that far. I bet your mom wishes you didn't remember though! Must have been heartbreaking.

I was 3.5 when I had my first trip to the emergency room. I got my ears pierced a little after turning 3 and the ear got infected. My mom was doing all the could to care for it, but when I woke up one morning with scabbed-over ears, she knew she had to bring me to the hospital. I only remember sitting in a little white room, and my dad came in with some ice and put it on my ear. This was the first time my parents met the doctor that pulled the earring out and he was so kind and caring, my mom was so impressed with him that he became our new family doctor and remains our doctor (even though I live overseas now, I still think of him as "my" doctor).

I remember being on the beach in Florida when I was 3.5, I wanted to go as far out into the ocean as I could and so my dad towed me out on one of those blow-up pool mattresses. I remember there was a time when even his feet couldn't touch the bottom, and looking back to wave to my mom, and only seeing our bright yellow beach umbrella. Pretty cool!
    This memory is from when I was a little over 1 year old. I remember being strapped down to a table and not being able to move, being in a lot of pain, seeing this light hanging above my head, and some man hovering near the light. I remember trying to find my mom and the room, but I couldn't move my head, so I could only see her out of the corner of my eyes. She was turned away from me, so she couldn't see me, and she was crying, but she was holding my hand.

These are just the images I distinctly remember. When I was older and relayed them to my mom, thinking they were pieces of a bad dream, she told me I was running in the grocery store and fell and busted my lip open. I was too young and small for anesthesia, so they had to sew me up without it, so they velcro-ed me to a table to prevent me from moving and sewed me up. My mom said it was so horrible she couldn't look, she just cried the whole time while she held my hand.

I guess it was painful enough for me to remember it from a very young age, even though I didn't know exactly what was going on.