1,200 calorie

Options
Could only eating 1,200 calories be potentially harmful?

Replies

• muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but everyone is different. I have been eating 1200 for about 4 weeks, and even with a few bad days I am still under 1200 net at the end of each week. The last two days I haven't felt very good at all, and I am thinking about upping my calories, mostly because I don't want to go over my number so if I lift the number I will still try to be just under on average. It is some kind of numbers game my head plays on me.

If you are thinking about eating 1200, just be honest with your body...I really feel like I'm not getting enough right now. I just need to work out th kinks in my dietary change. It looks like you've been on awhile so I'm not sure if you are inquiring about you are just asking. I hope that was some help.
  • Brightstar4031
    Brightstar4031 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've only been consistently logging in and eating 1,200 for a week. Tonight however I went over. I'm going to start again tomorrow. I was good until the 7th day and then I became very hungry, exhausted, and cranky. I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts/experiences are... thanks
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    read some of the links in this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

:) hope they can help!

edit to add - I'm about 5'5", 23 years old.. and I'm netting about 1530 cals a day. and I just had my biggest weekly loss so far (1.6lbs this week), wish I'd bumped up earlier
  • Barb_0457
    Barb_0457 Posts: 14
    Options
    I just started on here and have been trying to eat less than 1200 calories because it seems like it is going to take forever to lose the weight if I eat that much.
  • Adonis21
    Adonis21 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been on a 1,200 calorie limit for over a month and I feel WONDERFUL! The main things are making sure you are getting PLENTY of complex carbs like brown rice and whole wheat bread and especially my favorite steel cut oats in the morning all of these will not only provide you with bunches of energy but also keep you full so you won't be so hungry! Hope this helps add me and let me know how it goes
  • Adonis21
    Adonis21 Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh and one more thing! Make SURE you are eating your back calories from your workouts, those are very important
  • Barb_0457
    Options
    I try not to go over the 1200 even on the days I exercise. Bad huh? I just want to see some of the weight start to come off
  • beautifullybold1
    beautifullybold1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories should be fine as long as you get the main food groups in. it just takes some getting use to. This is my first week and the first night about 3 am 'i felt like i had not eaten in weeks. I have to change what I eat to make 1200 calories work. I have been thinking of seeing a nutritionist.
  • Mrsmonas
    Mrsmonas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I personally had a hard time with only 1200 calories. I really tried. I upped it to 1300 and just that little extra helps.
  • Barb_0457
    Options
    I have been trying to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. Have also really increased my water intake.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For two - three weeks (and for months in the past) I kept myself on a 1200 calorie diet. From reading a few posts on MFP I decided that I needed to up my calories (which included eating back exercise calories) and now I feel GREAT! I use to be tired (not willing to workout) and angry the time. NOW I don't feel like I'm starving myself anymore. :)

FYI, a few years back I did lose a LOT of weight only eating 1200 calories a day for a number of months BUT I was always unhappy... now I know why. :)
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200/day diet and I feel great...
    I exercise every day and try to eat back most of my calories...
    although sometimes I find it hard to do...
  • jennfost777
    jennfost777 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've only been consistently logging in and eating 1,200 for a week. Tonight however I went over. I'm going to start again tomorrow. I was good until the 7th day and then I became very hungry, exhausted, and cranky. I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts/experiences are... thanks
    I would say drink plenty of water and take vitamins also, if it helps go on Amazon and buy the blood type diet book (or at least the individual mini book)this will tell you what type of supplements to take to speed up your metabolism and what foods to avoid. Hope this helps
  • JoHo57
    JoHo57 Posts: 31
    Options
    I started on 1200 and then added 100 extra. I was always just a little over, every day. The extra 100 has worked. It gives me a little extra snack or an extra bit of this or that. It just made all the difference.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Been eating 1200 calories for a very long time now, I am never hungry. I have a very hard time eating above that because I feel over stuffed instead of comfortable. DO what feels right to you tho
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    OK, If your eating healthy, but if hunger becomes a problem then eat more, best to cut down slowly rather than quick and make yourself ill.
  • Brightstar4031
    Brightstar4031 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Been eating 1200 calories for a very long time now, I am never hungry. I have a very hard time eating above that because I feel over stuffed instead of comfortable. DO what feels right to you tho

I wonder if height is an issue. How tall are you?
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum you should eat. If you are exercising you should definitely eat more. When I first start MFP I was TERRIFIED of eating back my workout calories, but for the last two weeks I've eaten back most of them each day and I'm still losing weight. I feel better than before too.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Could only eating 1,200 calories be potentially harmful?

If you do a lot of cardio at a decent level of intensity, and you do not eat back most of your exercise calories - big yes.

You'll eventually burn through your store glucose (used for most of that energy needs, and some throughout the day), and then muscle will have to be broken down to be converted to glucose.

That's when the weight loss really starts, muscle breakdown. Bad weight loss.

And during the whole time the glucose stores are being depleted because daily diet doesn't top them off, you are loosing mostly water weight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories should be fine as long as you get the main food groups in. it just takes some getting use to. This is my first week and the first night about 3 am 'i felt like i had not eaten in weeks. I have to change what I eat to make 1200 calories work. I have been thinking of seeing a nutritionist.

Good, your metabolism has not totally slowed down yet, your body wants more energy for basic functions of life.

Sure you want to go that route, slower metabolism?