1,200 calorie

Options

Replies

• VivicaJayne
    VivicaJayne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a VERY hard time at first. I was eating about 2000 calories and working the extra 800 off. I was so hungry I would exercise just so I could eat. After about two months I average 1200-1600 per day and it's much easier. Sometimes I don't even need to eat my exercise calories. Just listen to your body and make your calories count by eating foods high in vitamins.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    I've been on 1200 -- but with exercise, you end up with more some days. I've lost 12 pounds, it's working so far -- I know I will have to increase cals when I get to maintenance.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've only been consistently logging in and eating 1,200 for a week. Tonight however I went over. I'm going to start again tomorrow. I was good until the 7th day and then I became very hungry, exhausted, and cranky. I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts/experiences are... thanks

That's your's body response to not getting enough food for basic functions of your body living.

don't worry, you can slow your metabolism down, and the hunger will go away, as so many comment on.

And since your metabolism slows, you burn less calories at everything. Rest, daily, exercise.

Weight loss slows down, and will eventually stall after your body reaches equilibrium.

Or, always net at/above your BMR, basic calories if you were in coma all day.
    MFP - Tools - BMR calc.

Is your BMR above 1200?
    If you suppress it to 1200 by underfeeting, how many free calories burned each day will you be missing out on?
    Say, 300? Feel like missing out on 2/3 lb weight loss per week eventually?
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    Oh and one more thing! Make SURE you are eating your back calories from your workouts, those are very important

This! You won't lose otherwise.
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 247 pounds and I am on 1200 calories a day. I was only eating 1,000 calories a day but MFP has me set at 1200 calories, so I make sure to eat as close to that as I can. I can honestly say that I rarely feel hungry and often I have to force myself to eat more during the day. I work out a lot each day as well, and yes, I know I should be eating more- but this is working for me right now. Once I get down to 200 pounds, I plan on eating a bit more- but I have a very long way to go before I reach my goal weight of 125 pounds, so I am happy with the way things are going for now :)
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would guess that no one has really looked at what I put for a calorie limit on my profile....and that I often stay under or near it when I include exercise. I limited my calories to 900 net...and I'm finally seeing some weight loss after a month. Before this, I have steadily gained, eating 1500 to 1700 calories a day. The ONLY time I have EVER lost weight and kept it off for a significant amount of time was when I ate less than 800 calories a day in high school. Then I get settled with a boyfriend and my calories gradually drifted upwards and we were rather sedentary as a couple.

I do have a two other reasons for my low calorie max. One is that I read somewhere that most people underestimate their calories by about 20%. I unfortunately do not have a link...it may have even been in one of the many diet books I have read. Either way....20% of 1200 is 240....so 960 calories should be my net calorie max if following a 1200 calorie diet, based SOLELY on the 20% principal.
    The other reason is for me, psychologically, if I see that I'm over my 900 calorie max...I will exercise it down to a number closer to 900.
    I suppose I can add a 3rd reason as well. I don't believe the ellipticals and other exercise approximations are correct either. I'd guess with some that I burn more calories (like running or walking on the treadmill) and others burn less calories (swimming and elliptical) So again...my 900 calorie diet, just looks like one...when in reality it isn't.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    if you cant maintain the diet and are suddenly feeling the need to eat more your setting yourself up for a binge and likley eating too little.
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories, and find it most days hard to eat up to that amount. I am feeling heaps better but did go through that one week 'struggle' and tired feeling. I am finding it really interesting literally getting to know what I eat and whats in it. The calories, the portions and the ability to still eat what I want - within reason and within portion size.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your height, weight and goal weight and your personal metabolism

I personally could not do 1200 calories a day for more than 4 days in a row, then I'd have to throw a 1500-1700 calorie day in. Then I'd go back to 1200 calories
    Zig zagging seems to work for me. And didn't have too much trouble with plateaus

For me one of the biggest benefits of eating a limited calorie diet was that I focus on getting all my nutrition in first.
    As long as I'm getting proper nutrition, I"m not hungry.

Now that I"m on maintenance, i find it more challenging to make good decisions.
  • m000nlover
    Options
    OK I WAS IN THAT DIET FOR A WEEK

JUST PUT IN YOUR MIND TO EAT EVERY 3 TO 4 HOURS

TO KEEP YOUR METABOLISM WORKING

3 MEALS
    3 SNACKS
    WILL DO THE WORK FOR YOU

ALL THE LUCK AND SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone over 1200 in 8wks, am rarely hungry, but my god the weightloss is frustratingly slow :angry:
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Please remember (and I hope everyone else does too) that weight isn't everything! People do things they know they shouldn't, that they've been told not to do, and why, and explained ad nauseum, but still do it anyway because "i'd never lose weight if i ate that much...or ate that, or blah blah whatever..." You're trying to transform the energy substrates your body uses, your BODY, not just your muscles(which account for maybe 30% of your energy expenditure) Your poor heart and lungs, and there's this huge organ called the skin, ligaments, brain, oh kidneys...etc, all burn calories that you eat and use the nutrition that you bring in! How much nutrition can you get at 1200 calories a day? Never mind that, "how much weight can i lose at such and such calories so my MFP weight loss tracker will move.....???? Don't do that! That's what everyone else does, and it will lead to unsustainable habits, and a slow metabolism and weak body at best. Don't be afraid of food and eating, especially if you are working out.
  • fuzzimama
    fuzzimama Posts: 85
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and MFP started me on 1400 per day then dropped me to 1300 once I had lost 5kg. I wasn't happy on 1300, so I upped it to 1360 and that was much better for me (plus eating back half to all my exercise calories). On 1400 I was losing sometimes double my desired 1lb per week, so I think my activity level must be higher than I anticipated, and even though I have lost 23lb now, and only dropped my daily calories to 1360 I continue to lose around 1lb per week, so I'm quite happy with that.

I figure if you're cranky and not operating properly its probably not enough, but if your normal activity is lower (desk job for example) then it probably is enough for some people.

Anything you can stick with in the long term is going to work better than something that has you falling off the wagon all the time because you're hungry, so for me, losing a bit slower is preferable to being a starving grump who is reaching for the high cal snacks to get me through.
  • fkurban
    fkurban Posts: 9
    Options
    I am very short and sometimes I think even 1200 calori is even too much for me. All I need to do to get these calories from healthy sources, A lot of veggies and lean protein. I also don't eat much carbohydrates. As soon as I start adding carbohydrates to my diet, I start having cravings. I tested that many times.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone over 1200 in 8wks, am rarely hungry, but my god the weightloss is frustratingly slow :angry:

Ya, I remember seeing your posts back then. Happy to be down there, seemed you thought it would be great success, despite years of failures.

Still think this was the best direction?

"Me to a tee.
    Sick to damn death of hearing myself complaining.
    Been on a diet for over 20yrs - it has been the main focus of my life in all that time yet all it has resulted in is an increase of around 100lbs.
    For an intelligent person I really am pretty darn stupid "
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've only been consistently logging in and eating 1,200 for a week. Tonight however I went over. I'm going to start again tomorrow. I was good until the 7th day and then I became very hungry, exhausted, and cranky. I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts/experiences are... thanks

That's your's body response to not getting enough food for basic functions of your body living.

don't worry, you can slow your metabolism down, and the hunger will go away, as so many comment on.

And since your metabolism slows, you burn less calories at everything. Rest, daily, exercise.

Weight loss slows down, and will eventually stall after your body reaches equilibrium.

Or, always net at/above your BMR, basic calories if you were in coma all day.
    MFP - Tools - BMR calc.

Is your BMR above 1200?
    If you suppress it to 1200 by underfeeting, how many free calories burned each day will you be missing out on?
    Say, 300? Feel like missing out on 2/3 lb weight loss per week eventually?

Based on this comment (and a few others!) I must either be a freak of nature or dead...

I stick to 1200-1250 a day, and don't eat my exercise calories back. I run 10kms and lift weights, and have got quite a good muscle build up (I have abs, great and very obvious definition in my arms, shoulders, back, legs and chest) so certainly haven't been eating my lean muscle away. I'm not starving, I eat nutritious food first and foremost - and I still manage an occasional treat. I've lost 62lbs in 10months, and during this time I've done on 5 international or interstate holidays (I'll admit I don't log during this time). Oh yeah and I've just had my thyroid (and a million other tests done) and I'm all clear. Perfectly fit and healthy were the doctors words (I only went for testing because I'm about to start work in a hospital and Australian rules dictate testing prior to working in a health care environment, I wasn't sick or anything). Oh and I'm halfway through training for a half marathon - guess I'm just getting better?!

So am I a freak, or dead? You decided.

I'm not saying what I do will work for you, but I think you should know there are other options here, rather than what the 1200 calorie haters will tell you.

Good luck with your journey. Find what works for you, then make that work well.
    Brooke
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Could only eating 1,200 calories be potentially harmful?

Its bad if you are over 4'11" and working out more than 1 time a week.
    BMR is crucial
    TDEE is important to know what it is and why understanding what it means can cause you to have a proper diet or a failed diet.
    Body Fat% is important to know so you can set BMR, TDEE and have a proper diet.

Eating 1200 caps tends to fall below most first time dieter's BMR.
    This causes physiological problems due to not having enough nutrients for vital organs.
    Do this for a while and the body will seek ways to slow you down.
    Lean mass is first to go while the body holds onto fat.

My advice, figure out your TDEE and take 20% off that to lose fat.
    Google Fat to Fit tools.
    Do the military body fat tool then BMR tool.
    The BMR tool will give specific numbers depending on your activity.
    That number is what you set MFP to.
    add 20% to that number for TDEE.
    Keep in mind that any day you eat below TDEE is fat loss and any day you eat at BMR is lean mass loss.
    set protein and fat to 30% each and you'll pass with flying colors!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I had gall bladder pain which can be triggered by a very low cal diet. Once I upped to 1400 that stopped. I am eating between 1800 to 2100 before exercise calories now and still losing weight. Lots of energy. (Actually weight loss stalled when I was at 1400 -1600) I am 100 pounds overweight at the moment. So dont go by the avatar pic.

Edited to add I am 5 5"
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Oh and one more thing! Make SURE you are eating your back calories from your workouts, those are very important

This! You won't lose otherwise.

Yes you will. It's just you'll lose more muscle than you want to.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options

I do have a two other reasons for my low calorie max. One is that I read somewhere that most people underestimate their calories by about 20%. I unfortunately do not have a link...it may have even been in one of the many diet books I have read. Either way....20% of 1200 is 240....so 960 calories should be my net calorie max if following a 1200 calorie diet, based SOLELY on the 20% principal.

If you weigh/measure your foods and know the nutritional info on what you're eating...this wont happen