Australian snacks, shopping lists etc

Options
So LOTS of the recipe and shopping list ingrediants I have no idea about because we don't have them in Australia. So this topic has been created for the Aussies who want to list all the yummy, healthy, easy, quick, low-calorie, WHATEVER foods that they love.

Talk away! :-)

Replies

• islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Snacks:
    Uncle Toby's simply fruit bars...yum!
    five:am yogurt
    Black swan dips with carrots
    fruit! and lots of it
    Australian eatwell veggie burgers
    Sanitarium...anything!
    just a few of my fav's
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    the aldi hillcrest fruit filled bars are good. as well has the homebrand and coles brand fruit filled bars at only 120cals.

I also love homemade hummus. It's so easy to make, you can use a tin of chickpea's to make it easier but i like making the chickpea's up myself.

a bit of tahini mixed with the chickpea (and their juices) in the blender and a bit of lemon juice. Makes a great snack/dip.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    the aldi hillcrest fruit filled bars are good. as well has the homebrand and coles brand fruit filled bars at only 120cals.

I also love homemade hummus. It's so easy to make, you can use a tin of chickpea's to make it easier but i like making the chickpea's up myself.

a bit of tahini mixed with the chickpea (and their juices) in the blender and a bit of lemon juice. Makes a great snack/dip.

Thanks mmk137! I will be trying your homemade hummus tomorrow! :D

I've recently found the 'healtheries' snacks in the health food section of Woolworths. They're designed for kids but they are a reasonably good salty snack if your craving that - only 60 cal's (or so). I also like the Sunrice Rice Cakes - particularly Tomato and Basil.

And I found the Milo mousse in the fridge section of Woolies... Really yummy and creamy but only 100 cal's... Tastes very decadent when you need that!

Generally I try and cook my own food though and keep it as simple as possible - back to basics as they say.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love:
    Nestle Soleil Diet- no fat (59cals)
    So good almond milk (70 cals per cup) GREAT WITH PROTEIN SHAKES
    Rye cruskits (39cals for 2)
    Uncle toby's oats apple and raspberry (134cals) awesome with almond milk in winter!
    Slim secrets choc and caramel decadence (133cals) @ safeway in the protein bars section
    Sakata sour cream and chives (100cals for 13 crackers)
    Heinz steam fresh veggies (43 cals for one frozen bag)
    Chai latte with soy milk -small from gloria jeans (62cals)
    SPC Baked beans mini can (56cals)
    90 second brown rice (106cals)

HOPE THIS HELPS <3
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love:
    Nestle Soleil Diet- no fat (59cals)
    So good almond milk (70 cals per cup) GREAT WITH PROTEIN SHAKES
    Rye cruskits (39cals for 2)
    Uncle toby's oats apple and raspberry (134cals) awesome with almond milk in winter!
    Slim secrets choc and caramel decadence (133cals) @ safeway in the protein bars section
    Sakata sour cream and chives (100cals for 13 crackers)
    Heinz steam fresh veggies (43 cals for one frozen bag)
    Chai latte with soy milk -small from gloria jeans (62cals)
    SPC Baked beans mini can (56cals)
    90 second brown rice (106cals)

HOPE THIS HELPS <3

Ooooh I forgot the Almond milk... Just discovered that too and I love it - particularly in Protein Shakes (I love the Define banana flavour).

I'll have to try the Nestlé Soleil... I've been eating the Forme but I've gone off it...
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have also found in NQR Delfine chocolate covered wafer bars 8g each and only 41 calories.

I also love Coles 60% less fat cream cheese, 2 tbsp is 56 calories I mix this with 2tsp Aldi's minced garlic 10 calories and 5g of Aldi's fresh spinach 1 calorie, makes a wonder dip/mushroom filler replacement for garlic butter and I also add this with a little water to make carbonara sauce, YUM!

Arnotts vita wheats 6 biscuits is low in cals
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    ooh rice cracker and corn thins... i love those too.

i can send you my hummus recipe once i get home, just down in melb, and don't remember the exact proportions.
  • prettythinlove
    Options
    I have also found in NQR Delfine chocolate covered wafer bars 8g each and only 41 calories.

I also love Coles 60% less fat cream cheese, 2 tbsp is 56 calories I mix this with 2tsp Aldi's minced garlic 10 calories and 5g of Aldi's fresh spinach 1 calorie, makes a wonder dip/mushroom filler replacement for garlic butter and I also add this with a little water to make carbonara sauce, YUM!

What's the wafer bars you are talking about? I tryed googling them but couldn't find them.

Vita weats are great! Good with avocado and cucumber.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Tamar valley greek style no added sugar!
    Best yogurt ever.
  • findingKylie
    findingKylie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find the special K bars at 88 cals are filling and hit that lust for a sugar/sweet treat.
    and i just LOVE the mountain bread light rice wraps at 68 cals each.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Uncle Tobys Bodywise bars...I love the apple delight flavour..One bar has 111cals....

Some good recommendations here. I'm always looking for different snack idea....

What protein powder do you use in your shakes? I've been wanting to try these but never know what to buy......
  • prettythinlove
    Options
    Mmmm Tamar valley is awesome! I put my yogurt tubs in the freezer, the next day they are frozen yogurt! They take longer to eat and taste oh so yummy.

Special K also have 'desert inspired' bars. With great flavours like strawberry cheesecake and chocolate etc they are under 100 cals!

I have recently started using Herbalife. They are soo good and have given me a lot more energy. I have them 2ce a day.
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Can't go past meat, fish, eggs, bread, pasta, rice, fruit, veg etc etc. Try sticking to the outsides of the supermarket as this is where all the healthy food is! But here are some of the packaged foods I buy:

soleil or forme yoghurt (both approx 40 cals per 100g)
    carmans original fruit free muesli bars
    corn thins
    rice crackers
    Swap normal milk for soy milk (soy milky lite is one of the better ones out there)
    Tuna (sirena is good although a little pricey)
    Brown rice in a cup that takes 40 seconds to cook (can't remember the brand though)

Oh and toast your own muesli (it's easy as and like 1/4 the price of premium boxed stuff, plus you know exactly what's in it)
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Its great to get some new ideas. Here are some things that I like:-
    Smooze coconut & pineapple ice blocsk (68 cal)
    Vive Lite Pecan & Caramel Biscuits (44 cal each)
    Bulla Raspberry Splits (96 cal)
    Copperpot chives & Garlic Dip (44 cal for 20g)
    Light Cruskits (43 cal for 2)
    Peters Vanilla Ice Cream & add fresh passionfruit (145cal for 70g icecream + one whole passionfruit)
    Crunchola Nut Free Bars (142 cal)
    Peters Frosty Fruits (85 cal)
    Weight Watchers Ginger Kiss Muffin bars (112 cal)
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have to pack lunch and snacks to take to uni in Sydney every day. So I go for easy to pack, easy to eat stuff. My staples at the moment are:

1/2 cup grapes (31 calories) - they are really cheap at the moment in coles and woolies
    1 peach or nectrine - aldi has had some packs lately. Nice smaller size too, which is good for snacks
    a carrot - not my go to, but great on the train home if I'm starting to feel hungry. Chew on it and I'm right till dinner.
    5-10 almonds - I have found I love almonds. I take them in a ziplock bag each day. I have to count them out in the morning otherwise I would eat way too many. Fantastic for keeping me full for longer, in particular if I have an hour lecture followed directly by a 2 hour tute.
  • margegomez
    margegomez Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like my deserts and snack so i am forever finding alternatives :)
    Here are a few:
    Bulla Fruit and Yoghurt Ice Cream Mango - 79 cals for a 59g serve
    Partner Roasted Chickpeas 95 cals per bag
    Aldi Choceur Chocolate - nice taste small serves 230cals for a treat
    Sunbeam Fruit Nuts and Seeds - 30g boxes 138cal
    Yoplait Forme - sticky date or cheesecake yoghurt around 70cal per tub
    enjoy!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Tamar valley greek style no added sugar!
    Best yogurt ever.

Agree.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am in love with Goodness Superfoods Barley Wraps at the moment - a little over 100 cal per wrap, they taste delicious and don't fall apart like mountain bread does.

I love Bulla flavoured cottage cheeses. Tomato relish, gherkin, onion and chives - they are all great.

Carmen's fruit free muesli bars are lovely, but I don't eat a lot of muesli bars these days as they do tend to be higher in added sugar than what I am comfortable with.

I thought that you couldn't get high protein cereal in Australia, but I found Hi-Lo Active in the health food aisle at Woolies the other day - 30% protein, 16.7% fibre and 6.7% sugar. Mostly I eat oats for breakfast, but if I want cereal, that's what I will eat - or Oat Brits.

Did I mention oat brits? They are nicer than Weetbix cause they have that oaty creaminess to them.
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

What's the wafer bars you are talking about? I tryed googling them but couldn't find them.

Vita weats are great! Good with avocado and cucumber.

They are called Delfi funtime bars, spelling error, sorry :)
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My usual shopping list:

Blu Pearl Couscous. They actually have a mistake on their label listing the number of portions and calories on it. But when you work out what it is for the whole packet, then divide it by 4 or 5 which is what it is supposed to be, it really isn't that bad. Supposed to be low GI too.

Greenseas flavoured tunas. Some flavours are only about 100 cals and are very filling.

Wholegrain organic flat bread. Use it as a pizza base. the brand i got yesterday (sorry can't remember name) was only 100 cals a bread. Mountain bread is also good, less cals, but thinner so i usually need 2 pieces of bead per pizza base which adds up to higher than using just a 1 thicker flat bread.

Paris Creek Biodynamic Low Fat yoghurt. 200g is only 64 calories! That's the lowest cal yoghurt i've come across and it is organic too!