Quorn or Normal Meat?

Options
We got Quorn while shopping yesterday, we tried the sausages this morning and I honestly thought they were nicer than the real deal! I'm a big big meat eater, however things going well, I could see myself reaching for his substitute the whole time. (We also got chicken, beef pieces and mince) Will be trying these out over the next week.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried Quorn and what your take is on it? The sausages this morning had 1/3 the fat content than our normal sausages, and 25% less calories. Protein worked out at 2g for normal, and 5g for the Quorn. (If I remember correctly)

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Quorn and think it was on a par with some meats. I like their chicken stuff, their mince, and I thought I liked their sausages.

Until I discovered Linda McCartney. A million times better than Quorn. Absolutely incredible. I have Linda McCartney chicken products, sausages and burgers on occasion, but I tend to have turkey mince with my spaghetti bologneses now. Quorn I've kind of gone off after discovering something better, but I still enjoy the bacon.
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love the "chicken" patties...so good on a ciabatta roll! I will definitely check out the sausages next time I shop. :)
  • horsesandhipbones
    Options
    Well, I'm vegetarian so I always go for the quorn...but I agree with you, it's much lower in fat than 'real' meat and tastes really good. Some people find the texture a bit wierd to start off with, but you soon get used to it. I had their fish-free fingers yesterday and they were amazing! I also love their scotch egg things, which are so much healthier than the 'real' ones.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We got Quorn while shopping yesterday, we tried the sausages this morning and I honestly thought they were nicer than the real deal! I'm a big big meat eater, however things going well, I could see myself reaching for his substitute the whole time. (We also got chicken, beef pieces and mince) Will be trying these out over the next week.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried Quorn and what your take is on it? The sausages this morning had 1/3 the fat content than our normal sausages, and 25% less calories. Protein worked out at 2g for normal, and 5g for the Quorn. (If I remember correctly)

i love quorn!

big fan of the quorn mince, im not a big fan of real mince,,,
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've tried it a few times and enjoyed some of the stuff. If I remember some of the products were pretty high in sodium, so keep an eye out for that, but otherwise, go for it if you enjoy it.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm vegetarian so I always go for the quorn...but I agree with you, it's much lower in fat than 'real' meat and tastes really good. Some people find the texture a bit wierd to start off with, but you soon get used to it. I had their fish-free fingers yesterday and they were amazing! I also love their scotch egg things, which are so much healthier than the 'real' ones.

Ah yes, their fish products, the one thing I can't stand...

*shudder*
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love quorn - eat it often even though I am not a vegetarian. The only one I don't like is the mince, tried it a few times with various recipes and it's just...yuck. I have some 'fishless' fingers in the freezer at the moment as well that I am looing forward to trying :)
  • Gillporteousx
    Options
    I cant taste the difference! would rather not eat red meat so i buy the mince and i am going to try the sausages out too x
  • Deanmorelli
    Options
    I used to eat Quorn and think it was on a par with some meats. I like their chicken stuff, their mince, and I thought I liked their sausages.

Until I discovered Linda McCartney. A million times better than Quorn. Absolutely incredible. I have Linda McCartney chicken products, sausages and burgers on occasion, but I tend to have turkey mince with my spaghetti bologneses now. Quorn I've kind of gone off after discovering something better, but I still enjoy the bacon.

I will have to look into this next time we're out! As long as it tastes good I'll change :P

@solman66 Thanks for the heads up about the sodium, I will keep a close eyes and report what I find :D
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the taste of Quorn, I do not eat "normal meat", however Quorn gets a bit pricey for my budget.
  • l2rell
    l2rell Posts: 88
    Options
    Quorn mince is disgusting
  • Viktor_JL
    Viktor_JL Posts: 13
    Options
    I really don't like quorn. Something about it freaks me out! What I have recently discovered though is soya meat substitutes. So far tried meatballs, mince and sausages and they are delicious and a lot better for you (and the animals :D) than meat!
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i have never tried it or any other meat substitute but im goingto get some and give it a go!
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    We regularly eat Quorn in our house (we're vegetarian) and we really like it. I don't always use it because it does get pricey if you do, but it's nice.

Can't stand the Linda McCartney stuff - so salty and full of fat. The sausages I tried were disgusting, the amount of gunk that came out of them while they were in the oven. bleugh.

I don't know if you're in the UK? Tesco own brand vegetarian mince and meatballs are much nicer than Quorn IMO. Also, they're made from soya, which freaks some people out less than a manufactured fake meat made from fungi :D

If you want to try out a nice bolognese that's meat-free, you could also boil some green or brown lentils, drain them and add them to your tomato sauce! Delish, full of protein and really good for you!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Regular meat for me. I've only tried the Quorn mince and while it's not bad, I definitely prefer the real thing!

How is the sodium for the Quorn sausages? That's the only thing that stops me having regular ones as often as I'd like.
    2g of protein for a normal sausage though?? The ones I get are 8.5g each!
  • Deanmorelli
    Options
    Great feedback here, thanks for the replies. Although it's a shame the mince seems to be a big thumbs down! I feel a lot more confident now about trying out the rest of the selection, I was considering making Bolognese with the mince so hopefully it won't be that bad!

As for the price, where I'm from meat is very expensive and the Quorn works out that bit cheaper (not by much), every little helps and all that!

I use to make homemade burgers with real mince, does anyone know if the Quorn stuff will bind? (I usually crack an egg over 500g of mince, along with some herbs)
  • rubycube86
    rubycube86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like Quorn, but there are some things that aren't too good, like the peppered steaks. They're okay at first, but the texture is a little hard to get used to. They taste good, though. The mini scotch eggs are lovely. They taste just the same as meat ones. But like my friend said above 'Viktor JL' soya is a really good substitute for meat.
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    Great feedback here, thanks for the replies. Although it's a shame the mince seems to be a big thumbs down! I feel a lot more confident now about trying out the rest of the selection, I was considering making Bolognese with the mince so hopefully it won't be that bad!

As for the price, where I'm from meat is very expensive and the Quorn works out that bit cheaper (not by much), every little helps and all that!

I use to make homemade burgers with real mince, does anyone know if the Quorn stuff will bind? (I usually crack an egg over 500g of mince, along with some herbs)

Try making Chilli Con Quorn!
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    Heres the recipe.

I loveeeee this!

http://www.quorn.com/recipes/Chilli_con_Quorn.aspx
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options

http://chiakaivalya.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/home-made-quorn-burger-patties/