Quorn or Normal Meat?

Options

Replies

• Deanmorelli
    Options
    Regular meat for me. I've only tried the Quorn mince and while it's not bad, I definitely prefer the real thing!

How is the sodium for the Quorn sausages? That's the only thing that stops me having regular ones as often as I'd like.
    2g of protein for a normal sausage though?? The ones I get are 8.5g each!

200g of sodium for Quorn, surprisingly it works out the same for Denny's gold medal sausages. Perhaps I was wrong about the protein but I'm fairly sure it said 2g. Gah, just had a quick look again. It's 3g, my bad :S

Where do you get your sausages? (I'm from Ireland so I should really look out for better ones) Having said that, we don't eat sausages all that often, once a week infact!
  • mortimer745
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but eat a lot more Quorn that red meat. The mince is amazing in vegetarian chili or cottage/shepherd pie as well as bolognese. The 'Chicken' prices are also very tasty in fajitas, stir-fries, and casseroles. The low fat/high fibre and protein are what make it a first choice for me!
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i love Quorn mince and bacon :)
  • Deanmorelli
    Options
    @ kryptonitekel (cool name btw) Thanks very much, will sieve through those recipes and give them a whirl! Will definitely try the chilli!
  • lilyjay_
    lilyjay_ Posts: 86
    Options
    I've used Quorn mince in bolognese & chili & it was good, my other half didn't even realise - I didn't tell him beforehand because I know he wouldn't have eaten it!

We tried the sausages but I wasn't a fan of those... had the chicken style pieces in a curry the other day & they were gooood :)
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'll have to try some of those.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    my other half is veggie so we used quorn regularly. I think the mince really only works in chilli, there's not enough flavour in the mince for spag bol.
    the chicken pieces are briliant for curry -they really suck up the flavour. In fact, my brother who is an obsessive meat eater didn't realise he was eating the quorn chicken pieces in a curry my sister in law made! lol
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    Neither, for me.
    I'm a vegetarian, but I have a bad reaction to the Mycoprotein in Quorn.
  • carlie_carl
    carlie_carl Posts: 285
    Options
    Im also a big fan of quorn, although, I wouldnt completley replace meat with it because it gets abit boring quite quickly, excellent food if you dont take protein n powder form
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I like it but I'm veggie, Tivall also do some great fake meats including schnitzels which are amazing, Frys make some amazing fake meat strips which are great in stir frys.

I thought I would comment as I have to say over the last decade the taste and texture has improved so much, it used to taste like, and be as dry as cardboard but everything has improved so much. Even the fake fish stuff is coming along the Quorn fishless fingers are lovely.

I figure even if you aren't veggie using fake minces in stuff that is usually flavoured heavily by other stuff like chilli, pasta sauces is a good way to save on calories and fat.
  • carlie_carl
    carlie_carl Posts: 285
    Options
    I like it but I'm veggie, Tivall also do some great fake meats including schnitzels which are amazing, Frys make some amazing fake meat strips which are great in stir frys.

I thought I would comment as I have to say over the last decade the taste and texture has improved so much, it used to taste like, and be as dry as cardboard but everything has improved so much. Even the fake fish stuff is coming along the Quorn fishless fingers are lovely.

I figure even if you aren't veggie using fake minces in stuff that is usually flavoured heavily by other stuff like chilli, pasta sauces is a good way to save on calories and fat.

I know you may not know, but does it actually taste like fish? I want to eat fish but it makes me feel ill I just want the protein from it lol
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Quorn is made from a fungus. I would rather stick to red meat.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Regular meat for me. I've only tried the Quorn mince and while it's not bad, I definitely prefer the real thing!

How is the sodium for the Quorn sausages? That's the only thing that stops me having regular ones as often as I'd like.
    2g of protein for a normal sausage though?? The ones I get are 8.5g each!

200g of sodium for Quorn, surprisingly it works out the same for Denny's gold medal sausages. Perhaps I was wrong about the protein but I'm fairly sure it said 2g. Gah, just had a quick look again. It's 3g, my bad :S

Where do you get your sausages? (I'm from Ireland so I should really look out for better ones) Having said that, we don't eat sausages all that often, once a week infact!

Is there a Tesco's in Ireland? I'm from England. These are the 2 different brands I normally buy.

1) Riverway 12 cumberland sausages (in the database) - Bought from Tesco. 250mg sodium per sausage, 8.5g protein, 113 cals.
    2) Tesco Butcher's choice half fat pork sausages (in the database) 250mg sodium, 8.5g protein. 92 cals

Morrisons own cumberland sausages are quite good too, and only 200mg sodium each. Also if you don't have those stores in Ireland, beef sausages are nice and tend to be a bit healthier (less sodium and fat) but they're harder to find as a lot of stores only have pork.
  • acott12
    acott12 Posts: 2
    Options
    Their chicken burgers are outstanding, I honestly thought I was eating chicken I had to check the box twice, and they are only 123 calories!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian. I do eat quorn, but it gives me heartburn, so I do have to be careful with it.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Quorn products. I always have the Quorn Sausages. I enjoy them in an omelette or just on the side with scrambled eggs.

I also have the Cottage Pie, Lasagne and the Mince "Beef". I've tried the Sweet and Sour Chicken Meal and the Spaghetti Bolognese and they are all great.

Also, I know it's just fungus, but with all of the stuff that has been going on with the "pink slime", what can we really classify as real meat lol.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    A friend used to work at Quorn. Its real food.
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I still eat a lot of chicken, but I agree. I am totally sold on the sausages. I eat them ALL the time!! I much prefer them to pork sausages now :)
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I know you may not know, but does it actually taste like fish? I want to eat fish but it makes me feel ill I just want the protein from it lol

In a way yes, but not quite the texture. At first it made me feel sick, even though I'd always liked eating meat and fish the smell and the thought of eating it now makes me feel ill. The taste is just about there, slightly potato like and not really the texture but they are wonderful just with peas.
  • floss56
    floss56 Posts: 1
    Options
    The "meatballs" are good!