no one's noticed!

Options

Replies

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8 lbs (down from 148 to 140) I've lost inches, and my muscles are way more toned. And no one has noticed. I asked my husband if he could tell, he said "ummmm I guess so?" I even saw some family I hadn't seen in a while and nada.

Sometimes it's frustrating. Ok I'll be honest, it's downright discouraging. But I choose not to focus on that (very often). I choose to think about things that encourage me, like how in the middle of a workout and I can tell how much stronger my body is now. Or how much better my jeans fit now. Or how much more comfortable I am in my own skin.
  • cyndeesue52
    Options
    I have lost 15 pounds and some came into the office that had not seen me in a few months and noticed right away. But you are right, people that see you everyday tend not to notice.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Be careful what you wish for you, sooner or later it's all they will comment to you about. And it starts to get old when people start defining you by your weight.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am still wearing the same suit and shirts that were tight when I started to lose weight. It does make me look like a bit of a clown but people cant but help notice.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    No one really noticed my weight loss ti around 25lbs. Then people started asking. I know from talking to people that some people get very mad when you ask and so alot of people are scared to ask
  • jlynwhet
    jlynwhet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am humbled and very impressed with the weight loss stories and successes on MFP. I only hope I can stay the course and do half as well and some of you. This is a great site for moral support and advice. I appreciate each and every one of you! I wish you all well in your weight loss journey and plan to be here until mine is conquered.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience but it's true what an earlier poster said. I noticed first, my friends and family noticed next, then everyone else started noticing.

I think part of the thing with casual acquaintances is that they don't know if it is appropriate to say anything. I had someone tell me once that they weren't sure if it was socially acceptable to say something and they didn't want to offend me. Weight is something we are told is impolite to comment on.

The other thing is that until I hit about 35lbs lost, I was wearing the same clothes. Once I bought new clothes people really started noticing the change. Old clothes have a way of making you look like people expect you to look.
  • katinthebox
    Options
    It happens. I have a co-worker who recently lost 30lbs and I feel bad but I didn't notice a thing until I saw her in streer clothes and she blew me away. She looked fantastic and so fit. I told her as much then and did mention that our oversized work uniforms which aren't flattering on the thinnest girl had hid all her progress. I did apologize for not noticing it earlier and congratulating her on her progress. When I worked in an office a lot of catty girls would make rude comments when someone lost weight "like she doesn't look that great" or "she is such an attention *kitten*". It is sad but true that some women can't be happy and supportive of someone else's success.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    I am humbled and very impressed with the weight loss stories and successes on MFP. I only hope I can stay the course and do half as well and some of you. This is a great site for moral support and advice. I appreciate each and every one of you! I wish you all well in your weight loss journey and plan to be here until mine is conquered.

Don't "hope" just do it! Set your mind to your goals and make them happen!! Hoping has nothing to do with it!! It takes work!
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Are these women you're wanting to notice? Some women are jealous and don't want to make you feel good about yourself. I find this is a big problem for me. Only the secure people will speak up.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Are these women you're wanting to notice? Some women are jealous and don't want to make you feel good about yourself. I find this is a big problem for me. Only the secure people will speak up.

^^^ totally agree!
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options

For some it might be true, others just aren't sure what to say if they should mention it. Personally I'd rather no one said anything. I am not defined by weight.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Not many people noticed on me until I had to go down several uniform sizes. So I'd say 40+lbs
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    Options
    by the time I lost 40 pounds, people went crazy! they couldnt believe it. not 20-30--- but 40 pounds really did it.
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    my dad sometimes doesn't even notice if i get my haircut. some people are just not very observant.
  • MaryBeth321
    MaryBeth321 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Folks you see every day don't notice nearly as quickly as someone who hasn't seen you in months. And, you're so right - doing it for yourself is the important thing. Health is the goal; beauty is secondary. However, you look maaaaavelous!
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 70lbs a couple years ago, and honestly, beside my mom and my husband...no one ever said a thing! It was almost heartbreaking! I think the problem with most people, especially women is if they see someone getting thinner and fitter, they are a little jealous. My weight loss coach said one day "Wow, you look great, people must complement you all the time!" When I told her, no, she couldn't believe it! Just remember that you are doing this for you and it doesn't matter what other people think.
  • koolmamasan
    Options
    Don't let it get you down. Maybe you need to go clothes shopping and buy something alittle form fitting to show off your new curves. If you feel good about yourself then that is all that matters because you are getting healthy for YOU!! Keep it up and don't get discouraged.
  • ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    I am at about 35 and people are finally starting to say stuff. I read a quote that made a lot of sense.

It takes 4 weeks for you to notice, 8 weeks for close friends and family to notice, and 12 weeks for the world to notice.

Keep your head up and keep going. It will pay off in the end.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    The same thing has happened to me. Only my husband has noticed and it might be because I TALK about it way too much, try on my older, small clothes, etc. Look at my sn on here,,, my weight loss has all been in my tummy too! haha
    What really matters is that we KNOW we are smaller, healthier and seeing results. At this point in my life, my new lifestyle, I don't care what others think, as long as I'm happy with myself it's all good!
    And yayyy for MFP friends! We all know how hard it is to reach our goals and everyone on here can appreciate that.
    Good luck to you and congrats on your progress!