New Rules Of Lifting For Women

Options

Replies

• shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Can you put the info in this book to use at home? I'd like to start some weights but can't afford a gym membership just yet.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    that book changed my life. Period. Things finally are changing for the better. I finished stage 7 a few weeks ago.

I see you have had really good results with this and wanted to ask you a question. Do you follow the nutrition plan in the book and eat higher calories on your weightlifting days even though MFP says don't count the weightlifting calories only the cardio calories. Are you doing extra cardio? I'm starting this program on Monday and want to get my nutrition in order this weekend. Thanks for your time.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I finish the program last week and it was awesome! I gained few lbs., but went down on size and inches. And I'm so much stronger. I wasn't able to do a chin up before the program, now I can do 3 sets of 3.

You can do it at home -some of the girls in the group are doing it at home. But it will be best if you can check the book out from the library, read it and see if you have what you need.

Check out the NROLFW group, a lot of info in there.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    that book changed my life. Period. Things finally are changing for the better. I finished stage 7 a few weeks ago.

I see you have had really good results with this and wanted to ask you a question. Do you follow the nutrition plan in the book and eat higher calories on your weightlifting days even though MFP says don't count the weightlifting calories only the cardio calories. Are you doing extra cardio? I'm starting this program on Monday and want to get my nutrition in order this weekend. Thanks for your time.
    First, you can add strenght training calories. You just have to select strenght training in the cardio exercise. Second eat the calories in the book. After one month you can evaluate if you need to adjust. Do not go too low with your calories while doing strenght training, you will burn out in no time.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It also changed my life - I'm just about to start Stage 7.

Go ladies! It will open your eyes. I've lost about 3 pounds in the last 5 months but dropped two pants sizes and feel WAY more comfortable in my skivvies. Oh and for you moms, this program flattened my belly after 2 kids.
  • TluvK
    Options
    i'm also thinking about getting it...I was going to get it for my kindle, but that made me think...are there pics and such? also...is it the type of book you read straight through, or do you have to go piece by piece? I'm looking for osme vacation fitness type reading and though that might be a good one

I read the book front to back (just glanced at the nutrition stuff though) and thought it really helped to do a once-through before I started. But, there is SO much information that you will be referring back to the book constantly throughout the program. And, I would suggest getting the actual book for the pictures. Each exercise has pictures and a detailed explanation about form. That's one of the main reasons I kept looking back at the book - to make sure I was doing things correctly, as someone else said.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can totally do it at home.

Go to the new rules group on here that someone's already linked too, there are a few threads about doing it at home.

And yes, get the actual book, not the kindle, so much easier, it's the kind of book to read through and then flip back all over the place.
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Go ladies! It will open your eyes. I've lost about 3 pounds in the last 5 months but dropped two pants sizes and feel WAY more comfortable in my skivvies. Oh and for you moms, this program flattened my belly after 2 kids.

Did you go by the calorie estimates in the book? Did you have to increase or decrease them at any point?
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Buying my copy tomorrow! Anyone know if it makes a difference whether you buy it on Kindle or are there pages w/pics that I may want to have and therefore prefer the book?

Ive got in on Kindle, and wish I had got a normal copy, as think when I get more into it, I'll want to flip back and forward to pages, which is hard to do on Kindle.

I book mark all my exercises for each stage so that I can "flip" around easier. I also have it on both my Kindle and my iphone, so I generally set it up on the night before, sync the version on my phone, and then take my phone into the weight room so that I can log my workout in mfp and reference the book. I think some of the guys think I'm just walking around randomly texting people at 5 in the morning, but nope, I'm checking my form and logging my workout.
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I started the program today. I'm looking for 1 or 2 friends who just started Phase 1 for challenge,keep each other accountable and discuss workouts. Please send me a friend request ...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I started the program today. I'm looking for 1 or 2 friends who just started Phase 1 for challenge,keep each other accountable and discuss workouts. Please send me a friend request ...

Seriously, go to the group posted on the first page, we have ladies start every single day, and the support there is AWESOME!!
  • libby555
    libby555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Buying my copy tomorrow! Anyone know if it makes a difference whether you buy it on Kindle or are there pages w/pics that I may want to have and therefore prefer the book?

Ive got in on Kindle, and wish I had got a normal copy, as think when I get more into it, I'll want to flip back and forward to pages, which is hard to do on Kindle.

That was my thought as well. Thanks for the input!
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Dang it! I just downloaded this book on my Nook, but I guess I'll get myself a hard copy to take with me to the gym.

IDK about the nook, but I know there's sometimes an option to 'return' books on my kindle....maybe see if its an option?

On another note, I just picked up the book yesterday...I've got a lot of stuff coming up, so I'm planning on making it my beach reading for my vacation. Cant wait!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TluvK
    Options

Did you go by the calorie estimates in the book? Did you have to increase or decrease them at any point?

I didn't really, but I also don't count calories. I found myself hungrier though, but I also continued with my sculpt classes and did random cardio here and there. I think if I solely weight lifted, I would probably watch what I eat a little bit more. But I did change my macros to 40/30/30 - 40 being protein.
  • kimiec
    kimiec Posts: 62
    Options
    Ok can anyone tell me are the exercise for the gym only I no way of going to the gym right now. I I guess I am wondering is this book centered on gym equipment or with dumbells thing I might have at home?
  • ksiverts
    ksiverts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have so many questions on this topic...sounds like a great resource.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have really been considering getting this book because I have been losing weight since June and have only been doing cardio and even though I look a lot better in clothes, I look just nasty naked!