Does anyone do a cheat day?

Options
HI everyone!
Just found this site and I love it :) Anyway, I have been counting my calories and trying to work out more. Just wondered if anyone allows themselves a cheat day once a week? I only have about 10 or so pounds I want to lose and am currently eating about 1500 cal a day.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone, but I don't do any cheat days. If I want to go above my allocated calories, I spend some extra time in the gym. If I plan on going out that night, that might mean an hour and a half of cardio.

I find it's also helpful to do this cardio before going out so that I earn it before I use it. It keeps me from saying, "I'll just work it off tomorrow". All it takes is one time of not following through, and I've undone a few days of progress. Not worth it in my opinion.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I havent risked a cheat day yet. I am afraid I will fall back into old habits. Many people do them and think they are great. Im just scared. :blushing:
  • XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i do allow my self a cheat day every sunday i dont work. i dont go crazy but i allow myself to eat what i want within reason. I log everything though just so i know.. But i also do 1.5 ish hours of cardio 4 days a week.
  • danapellerin
    danapellerin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Last time I did a cheat day it took me almost a week to start losing weight again. No more for me.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do cheat meals but only 1-2 per week. I am careful about it because it IS easy to fall back into old habits! I have done that before but I'm never going back now :):)

Oh and IF I feel like I overdid it on a cheat meal, I aim to do better. I have to remember that every day is a new day to eat right and work out :)
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    I do a cheat day every Sunday. I eat what I want but I still log them. I do my normal workout and then the next day I do a bigger workout. I would go crazy without sweets. I have a slow weight loss but I am loosing weight
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    im not ready to cheat yet... my cheat days are "not going to the gym" days... which is usually a friday or a monday. Im to scared to scarf it all down and completely blow it.
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    up until now I have always worked extra hard in the gym if i wanted to eat something extra. Yesterday I had a big cheat day (i ate almost 3000 calorie...around 1000 more than i should have) so i'll be watching my weight loss closely the next couple of days to see what happens next. I felt like the cheat day was worth it, but i'll know for sure when i see how it affected the scale. This morning I was up by over a pound but that could jut be water weight from the salty foods so we'll see!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I go over my TDEE at least one day out of the week.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I go over my TDEE at least one day out of the week.
    Me too! Every Saturday. Hey, that's today!!! :happy:
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes, I generally take a Saturday as a "day off" from my eating plan. But lately I've tried not to get too "carried away" on my day off - I just have a few things that I wouldn't normally have through the week - and I don't bother to count or log them. I don't know if it's necessarily the best way of doing things, but it gives me something to look forward to, and stops me feeling deprived! I've still lost weight doing this, but I suspect I may have lost it faster without the cheat days!! :ohwell:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat on a regular basis. I only do so if its a special occasion, probably a couple times a month. Even then I try to eat lightly during the other meals of the day. But if we're going to do drinks, dinner, and dessert, I go for it! No fun to count calories then.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    According to lots of stuff I've read cheat meals are probably helpful in the long term because they prevent your body from going into "holy crap we're starving to death" mode and you continue to lose weight. Also, it seems to me that most people that PLAN for a cheat meal once a week and indulge a little bit are happier and stick with it. Those that don't cheat (in my experience) tend to burn out....or they're just going to go through life foregoing a lot of happiness. It's life....live it. Tomorrow is my cheat meal and I'm pretty psyched. It's easy to pass on eating bad the rest of the week because I know I have one pass each week. :)
  • NCoursen
    NCoursen Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow...seems pretty mixed. Thanks eveyone, can't believe the support on here!!! Keep up the good work :)
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do a "treat" day. Its on my kid free Saturdays every other weekend. I try to stay around my cals but if I go over I don't get upset. I tend to not eat breakfast on those days since I'm going crazy through the morning to get the kids up and over to their dads. I will treat myself with Chipotle or something like that for lunch.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday night. Helps keep morale up for the long-term and gives you something to look forward to. Plus most of my cheat calories are alcohol which is fun in itself ;)
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    toho5555 wrote:
    ... Also, it seems to me that most people that PLAN for a cheat meal once a week and indulge a little bit are happier and stick with it. ...
    Absolutely! That's what keeps my wife going; knowing she has a day to look forward to gives her more will power on the other days. It also reinforces the idea that you don't have to completely give up those things you like.

BTW, awesome profile picture!
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    Every Saturday night. Helps keep morale up for the long-term and gives you something to look forward to. Plus most of my cheat calories are alcohol which is fun in itself ;)
    "Like"
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I totally have "cheat" days. However, my definition of a cheat meal is something totally unhealthy with ALOT more calories then I would normally eat during the week (ie, fast food without the healthier option or non-healthy option at a restaurant). However, I usually try to workout harder that day to help compensate for the increase calorie intake. AND I make sure I still fall within my allotted calories for the week. So really I try to make it a "splurge" instead of a "binge".
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal every 2-3 weeks.