Logging alcohol.

Options
13»

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the States I drink moderately and don't plan to stop...but know that alcohol is a little different on the calorie front. It's completely empty calories devoid of any nutritional value. Even better your body uses them FIRST....which means that any additional food you ate alongside is more likely to be converted to fat. Just Google it. I'm not saying don't drink.....booooo......but I'm saying be informed about it. The OP is right, about MFP keeping me cognizant of the calorie value of the foods I eat now.

http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_nutrition/page3.htm

If you are still at a deficit (alcohol calories included) your body will not store fat. The alcohol is just metabolized first, but when most people drink they also over eat. and put themselves at a caloric surplus. The average social drinker ( a few drinks a couple of times a month) would really not have too much to worry about.

now I think I'm going to mix me a captain diet......you jelly?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJw73mtf_w_hT99vybAjshzBmvRKf3DTKksD_QrhmSjOM6NJ4S
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is roughly 7 calories per gram / ml and all the calories (energy) are from ethanol.

Another thing to keep in mind the metabolic pathway roughly works out all sorts of nasty things especially if one exceed his daily caloric needs. Best to avoid, if not dutifully log, log, log, and also log.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol on the weekends, though I am trying to cut back for health reasons (not weight loss ones). I account for the calories of alcohol and usually choose lower calorie drinks. Typically I drink dry red wine (90 cals), vodka lime (fresh) and soda is a good low calorie drink (60-70 cals) as well. There are also some beers which are lower in calories, such as Pure Blonde in Australia (only 109 calories per bottle as opposed to 150-160 calories for other full strength beer)

In the end calorie counting is all about making choices. I think of calories as currency, and I feel that alcohol is a "worthwhile" purchase because I enjoy the taste and I enjoy relaxing with a drink on the weekends.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Try to find Captain Morgan 100 proof, more bang for your buck or calorie count
  • marly2
    marly2 Posts: 2
    Options
    To light my alcohol I put tally marks on my hand when I'm out. If I forget that evening I see it again in morning :) it really works and keeps me focused.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I generally like to have a rum and coke every Friday and Saturday night before bed time (calming). So today I decided to log the alcohol in MFP and was like wow. The rum itself is over 120 calories...and I usually do more than one serving per drink...and more than one drink not including the coke. So I'm consuming an extra 300-500 calories I wasn't even logging. Just wondering if anyone else thought about this or am I the only bed time drinker in denial of the calories. LOL

I don't drink anymore. But I can tell you that life's little indulgences can really add up. For instance, I had 2/3 of a pack of vending-machine cookies the other day, and it practically messed up my whole day, calorie-wise at least! On another day, I treated myself to ONE PIECE of leftover Valentine's Day candy, and it was like 70 cals.! Too much for so little pleasure, IMO.

So I can see how the calories you take in while consuming an "adult beverage" at bedtime could really add up.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    very true! But after a teacher near here was fired for a picture of herself holding a glass of beer ON VACATION I try to be EXTRA careful.

Please tell me she brought a suit against the school. :/ That is completely out of line. I don't understand how you can fire an adult for engaging in a legal activity. WTF?
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the States I drink moderately and don't plan to stop...but know that alcohol is a little different on the calorie front. It's completely empty calories devoid of any nutritional value. Even better your body uses them FIRST....which means that any additional food you ate alongside is more likely to be converted to fat. Just Google it. I'm not saying don't drink.....booooo......but I'm saying be informed about it. The OP is right, about MFP keeping me cognizant of the calorie value of the foods I eat now.

http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_nutrition/page3.htm

If you are still at a deficit (alcohol calories included) your body will not store fat. The alcohol is just metabolized first, but when most people drink they also over eat. and put themselves at a caloric surplus. The average social drinker ( a few drinks a couple of times a month) would really not have too much to worry about.

now I think I'm going to mix me a captain diet......you jelly?

This is good info. :)
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    very true! But after a teacher near here was fired for a picture of herself holding a glass of beer ON VACATION I try to be EXTRA careful.

I'm curious of they sign an employee agreement that specifically prohibits them from all mention, suggestion or imagery of alcohol.

Either way, at least now she has a chance to get a job with some reasonable semblance of sanity.

Being fired for some FB pic of her on vacation with a glass of beer is complete BS.

Was it FB? Or did she actually put it in some school newsletter?
  • pirjo1955
    pirjo1955 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My downfall is beer, though... not a lot to do about the calories in that!
    jenj1313 - I dilute my beer with near beer (non alcoholic beer). That way it "stretches it out".
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

I'm curious of they sign an employee agreement that specifically prohibits them from all mention, suggestion or imagery of alcohol.

Either way, at least now she has a chance to get a job with some reasonable semblance of sanity.

Being fired for some FB pic of her on vacation with a glass of beer is complete BS.

Was it FB? Or did she actually put it in some school newsletter?

I agree. That seems weird.
  • student37
    student37 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also like my rum and coke. I was shocked to see how many calories are in one. As a bartender people watching their weight drink Grey Goose Vodka as it is to have less calories. I just can't do the vodka.
  • Dec2009Mama
    Options
    I am so glad I came across this thread - it's nice to know we are all human and some of us like an alcoholic bevvie how every often you choose!
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I log my alcohol and it helps me show just how much I drink on an evening out with friends.
    It's actually helped me become more sensible, I've cut out taking shots and switched very heavy beers/lagers for either gin with a slimline tonic or a vodka and diet coke.
    Alcohol is a part of my lifestyle and I enjoy it so I also workout more if I know I have a night out planned.
    ( the dance floor helps burn Off some booze )