Night time snacks help !!

Options
I am definatly and emotional eater ...the worst emotion is lonliness. I am a single mom and I get bored at night and so I eat. I feel that in order to be sucessful I have to quit snackin, I am trying to drink water everytime I want to snack and it works much better but im not as sucessful as I would like to be. I will consume 6 glasses of water till I feel that its sloshing around inside me. Then eventually I get a snack but its usually crap :( I really dont want to continue to sabatoge myself .... I need some tips for others what has worked for you ??? I am a night owl by nature so its harder still cause i am up and alone from 7pm to 12 .... should i shchedule a time and maybe have a snack at that time everynight ?? please please please help me .... I will suceed but I need some help

Replies

• lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY schedule my day around being able to have snacks at night. I intentionally have slightly smaller meals so that I have a few hundred calories in the evenings. It helps a lot. Also something that has helped me is to log my foods early in the day so I have a sort of schedule to follow. Then I know what snacks are coming up this evening and I kind of look forward to it. :)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Boil some eggs and keep them on hand! They are healthy & protein packed which will stave off those extra cravings. ;)
  • zebramama84
    zebramama84 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Boil some eggs and keep them on hand! They are healthy & protein packed which will stave off those extra cravings. ;)

is there another cooked format for eggs thats healthy ?? i dont do boiled so well
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I chew sugar free gum whenever I crave a snack, or have a hot cup of tea
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello and fat free cool whip or greek yogurt always does the trick for me
  • robi1040
    robi1040 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have some snacks around that will satisfy you and that will work with your diet. fruit is perfect because it is nice and sweet with lots of fiber.

I love blueberries with whipped cream. You can also cut up an apple and bake it in the oven with some cinnamon. Popcorn is excellent if you want something salty, you can make a whole bag at 8 and munch on it throughout the night. The point is not to completely deprive yourself. If you know you want food late at night then maybe instead of one dinner you can have two light meals at night so that you feel more satisfied.

What makes me the happiest on a bored night is to listen to music while I paint my nails, dye my hair or look up some new weird makeup and hair styles. I know it is silly and girly, but if I get into a fun project that will make me feel prettier the next day I will forget about eating.

Just don't be ashamed of it. I will sometimes binge and then be so upset with myself that I will just try to forget it ever happened and then do the same the next night. Realize that you need to eat a lot one night and that it is ok because you are able to control yourself 90% of the time.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to eat like crap and still lose weight, it's probably not going to happen. You're going to have to sacrifice something, and that something should probably be late night snacks. Try keeping some celery around to snack on.

Basically, find a food that allows your "Calories remaining" to go very close to zero. Girl scout cookies or ice cream probably won't be that food, but there's got to be something you like. Then eat that.

If you can't think of anything, you have to realize there's no way to eat what you want, when you want, and be thin.
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You could scramble up some egg whites
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Low-fat plain yoghurt with a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder. It's not difficult at all to pretend it's chocolate mousse, it has a minimum of carbs, and it will fill you up nicely. Puts the late night snack attack out of commission :bigsmile:
  • iamnoangel
    Options
    I freeze yougurt , and eat it at night its kinda like ice cream but much harder so it takes much longer to eat, yoplait source is only 35 cals for an individual serving
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I like air popped popcorn or 3-2-1 cake. Also I try to go to bed earlier.
  • zebramama84
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to eat like crap and still lose weight, it's probably not going to happen. You're going to have to sacrifice something, and that something should probably be late night snacks. Try keeping some celery around to snack on.

Basically, find a food that allows your "Calories remaining" to go very close to zero. Girl scout cookies or ice cream probably won't be that food, but there's got to be something you like. Then eat that.

If you can't think of anything, you have to realize there's no way to eat what you want, when you want, and be thin.

hee hee nope, I would like to stop the snacking period, I need to change this !!! i have lotsa room as MFP gives me 2200 calories and im trying to eat about 1200 - 1300 daily and am doing so sucessfully :) im actually usually a bit under, but things like toaster strudel are not good for me and they overload my sugar, but at night when im alone is when i crave the crap :( i have some weird foodness LOL i can only eat one type of yogurt that is full on sugar and most fruit has odd textures :( love the taste but the texture makes me wanna puke ( apples, pears, bannanas, even strawberries) I am however eating almost a whole cucumber evryday... Sugar is a huge pitfall for me
  • JulieG1443
    Options
    Firstly, ask yourself this question - these foods that you are snacking on, do you really enjoy them? Because if you do, and this makes you unable to live without them on a daily basis, then you should try and put aside calories at the end of the day so that you can enjoy them as part of your "me" time.

The next question is - Does your body NEED them? And quite simply the answer is no, it does not, your body would much rather have a lovely fresh nutrient-rich orange to digest.

The truth is, none of us can avoid snacking and believe me we ALL do it and mainly for the same reasons - I snack because I'm in a long distance relationship and I get lonely! Chocolate is my ultimate enemy!

But it's the ratio between short term pleasure and long term gain, short term pleasure being the snack and long term gain being the weight loss/new sexy bod!
  • zebramama84
    Options
    okay so my action plan for the night ( i have been thinking about it all day )

1. keep kanteen full of water
    2. snacks will include 1/3 a 70% coco areo, an oven baked tortilla shell and a few oz of cheeese ( i am still way under my calories for the day)
    3. bed time is 11 at the latest
    4. do my best and be happy with it for the night knowing there is room for improvment always !!
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options

how do you know she wants to be thin?
    i eat what i want when i want and im not overweight i have great muscle definition etc etc etc.
    stupid.;
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Apples, hands down.
  • betternowthanlater
    betternowthanlater Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think you should address the real issue- being an emotional eater. Try substituting that with something else. When you put the kids to bed instead of staying awake and eating how about get ahead of the game?
    1. Log in your foodson MFP for the next day.
    2. Prep your meals.
    3. Go an 15-30 minute exercise session. I highly recommend "Your Shape with Jenny McCarthy" for the Wii. It is like a personal trainer when you need one. (Less than $10 on Target.com) Maybe strength training, maybe burn some fat, maybe tone with some yoga.
    4. Log in your exercise on MFP and the calories burned. (Your Shape tells you the calories.)
    5. Feel great about you accomplishments.
    6. Take a nice hot shower with lavendar (calming).
    7. Hit the bed.

In no time, you will have a whole new nightly routine.

Good luck.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I am a night snacker as well. I find if i work out at night then go take a bath or something then i can by-pass having a snack. Most of the time anyway.

Otherwise i will have pudding with cool whip (low fat or free), an apple and if i have enough calories left i will have a tbsp of crunchy peanut butter with it (my favorite), carrots, popcorn popped with an air popper, etc.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I always have a snack about 30 minutes before bedtime. Weight Watchers makes absolutely AMAZING ice cream bars. Like, Giant Fudge Bar for 100 calories, Giant Latte Bar for 90 Calories, Dark Chocolate and Raspberry Cheesecake ice cream bar for 110 calories, Dark Chocolate and Raspberry ice cream bar (smaller but more intense) for aobut 85 calories. Then there is always Skinny Cow Ice cream bars... delish as well!

Edit: Oh, and I'm not just saying these are amazing because they are low calorie. They taste MUCH better than most regular ice cream novelties.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like a tablespoon of peanut butter with a glass of water or milk. Also, celery stuffed with lite garden veggie cream cheese or peanut butter is yummy. You can always snack on cucumbers with hummus - low cal and healthy. I just try to avoid the carbs which make me hungry again soon.