Night time snacks help !!

Options
2»

Replies

• CharityEaton
    Options
    for me, I just make room in my day for a snack. I love my frozen yogurt. I have found that dried fruit trail mix is a good snack for me.
    A cup of hot tea with a bit of honey works...I get all of the crazy flavored ones so they smell delicious...just like a dessert!
    Almonds and dark chocolate chips are super yummy too and I know a lot of people do popcorn...I'm more of a sweet snacker.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I freeze yougurt , and eat it at night its kinda like ice cream but much harder so it takes much longer to eat, yoplait source is only 35 cals for an individual serving

Great idea! I will try it. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • Blueyz82
    Blueyz82 Posts: 151
    Options
    I have been guilty of late night snacking, but have been breaking the habit. Once 9pm rolls around, I tell myself, I'm DONE, no more and I drink water the rest of the night...if I REALLY want something,and are starving, I have pickles and they are 0 calories or I'd maybe do some fruit or carrots... You just have to decide, ok I'm done, I know it's not easy, I struggle with it EVERY single day! When I want something, I'll think about my upcoming cruise and how I want to look better and that helps me to not eat.... Do make sure you are eating sufficient calories through out the day. My suggestion is whatever you want the most for a snack, let yourself have it in moderation and set aside that amount of calories specifically for it and try to eat that snack before 9pm... I fill out my food diary in the morning for the entire day usually and that is very helpful. hope this helps!
  • lilstout3
    lilstout3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    -s'mores goldfish are always a yummy nighttime snack. i usually count out the serving size ahead of time. so that way, i just have a bunch of mini bags always ready to go. this will crave a salty and sweet tooth.
    -greek yogurt with half a banana.
    -frozen snap peas.
    -carrots and hummus.
    -frozen grapes.

i love a good snack at night.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Schedule a snack. You should stop eating 2-3 hours before you go to bed. Have something that is healthy and filling. Sometimes I have a 1/2 cup of oatmeal, or a couple of cups of popcorn, or 2-3 stalks of celery with a limited amount of peanut butter on them to fill me right before 9 PM (I also go to bed at midnight) and those usually do the trick for me.

Because there's still 2-3 hours to the night after that, I try to keep my mind busy for part of that time with what the next day will bring. I sign on here and plan all my meals and snacks for the next day. I may change things when the next day comes, but at least it keeps me occupied so I'm planning instead of eating. Then I start getting ready for bed and take a nice long time doing that, usually I have relaxing music playing while I prepare for bed so that when I finally get to bed, I'm calm and ready for sleep and am not even thinking about food at that point.

Also, I've heard that brushing your teeth right after your last snack will prevent you from continuing to eat because you have that fresh, clean, minty feeling on your teeth and you don't want to spoil that.
  • delilah47
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to eat like crap and still lose weight, it's probably not going to happen. You're going to have to sacrifice something, and that something should probably be late night snacks. Try keeping some celery around to snack on.

Basically, find a food that allows your "Calories remaining" to go very close to zero. Girl scout cookies or ice cream probably won't be that food, but there's got to be something you like. Then eat that.

If you can't think of anything, you have to realize there's no way to eat what you want, when you want, and be thin.

.., and i thought i was a neggie nellie today...
  • delilah47
    Options
    Schedule a snack. You should stop eating 2-3 hours before you go to bed. Have something that is healthy and filling. Sometimes I have a 1/2 cup of oatmeal, or a couple of cups of popcorn, or 2-3 stalks of celery with a limited amount of peanut butter on them to fill me right before 9 PM (I also go to bed at midnight) and those usually do the trick for me.

Because there's still 2-3 hours to the night after that, I try to keep my mind busy for part of that time with what the next day will bring. I sign on here and plan all my meals and snacks for the next day. I may change things when the next day comes, but at least it keeps me occupied so I'm planning instead of eating. Then I start getting ready for bed and take a nice long time doing that, usually I have relaxing music playing while I prepare for bed so that when I finally get to bed, I'm calm and ready for sleep and am not even thinking about food at that point.

Also, I've heard that brushing your teeth right after your last snack will prevent you from continuing to eat because you have that fresh, clean, minty feeling on your teeth and you don't want to spoil that.

hmm... if you are eating a calorie deficit menu plan, it doesn't matter when you eat .. when I am dieting I absolutely cannot go to bed on an empty stomach, so I have a snack. I think that myth was created for people who eat a big steak dinner, then go to bed stuffed to the brim.. it's just not good for ya..
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    I freeze yougurt , and eat it at night its kinda like ice cream but much harder so it takes much longer to eat, yoplait source is only 35 cals for an individual serving

me too
  • lilstout3
    lilstout3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello and fat free cool whip or greek yogurt always does the trick for me

and super yummy!
  • Brookhaven64
    Brookhaven64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Let me begin by saying I am n the same boat as you, and I have always heard not to eat after 7:00. Well, if I don't eat before going to bed I can't sleep and end up eating more.. I allow enough calories for me to have a glass of milk and cookies before I turn in for the night. (I found an off brand where I could eat 6 cookies and a glass of milk for 250 calories. Now, that may not be the smartest move, but my scales are going down and if I don't need the calories I might as well enjoy something I like. I started MFP 1 week ago and could always use encouragement. We might help each other with our munching. If you need a new friend let me know. Judy
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to eat like crap and still lose weight, it's probably not going to happen. You're going to have to sacrifice something, and that something should probably be late night snacks. Try keeping some celery around to snack on.

Basically, find a food that allows your "Calories remaining" to go very close to zero. Girl scout cookies or ice cream probably won't be that food, but there's got to be something you like. Then eat that.

If you can't think of anything, you have to realize there's no way to eat what you want, when you want, and be thin.

Erm, why should she give up late night snacking? She can just eat less during the day and save some calories for late night snacking.

By the way, I eat what I want when I want and have lost 160lbs.

Unless you find it hard to sleep because you ate then there is NO reason to stop eating 2, 3, 5, 1, or 10 hours before bed!
  • arbelkin
    arbelkin Posts: 3
    Options
    My wife and i split a grapefruit and have stawberries and raspberries with it...very satisfying!!!
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I think you can totally change things around so you will succeed and still enjoy your snacks after 7pm.
    I personally love apple slices and natural peanut butter.
    Popcorn is also good but doesn't really make you feel all that satisfied for the long haul.
    A cup of vanilla yogurt ( with or without fresh fruit in it ) has more recently become a good choice for a late night snack and its beneficial.
    A handful of nuts and dried fruit or ( make ahead ) homemade granola is also a winner with me. Beneficial and satisfying.
    Personally, I keep hard boiled eggs made up b/c they are a eat protein packed snack we all like.
    String cheese is always good for on the go snacks for me and for the kids.
    I would start going to bed a little earlier each night too ( take a bath first or read a couple chapters in a good book or journal for a few minutes to help wind down ).

I am going to share a site I have found for some healthier recipes that might be fun to try.

Here is a link for a Farmers Market Frittata that I am dying to try & you might like.
    scroll down the page for the pic & recipe - http://thekitchykitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Breakfast

The Mixed Berry Parfait with nuts & granola is another one I want to try.
    Love the homemade granola on most anything or plain.
    Same page just down farther for pics & recipes.
    http://thekitchykitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Breakfast

Hope this helps.
    You have the right mind set so you can make a few changes and do this!!
  • scsksouthern
    scsksouthern Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just had this as my final food-fix for the day: fiber one chocolate brownie (90 calories); 1/2 c. sliced strawberries (27 calories); half a small banana (55 calories); topped with 2 TBSP Kraft Cool Whip Free (15 calories); I crumbled the brownie up in the bowl and just added the fruit to that, then topped with the cool whip! Total calories 187!!! You could even sprinkle a few nuts on top if you'd like, and it's a very filling desert/snack with very few calories. Just make sure you have the calories to spare for the day. If not, just modify to make it work (leave out the banana?) I also enjoy fresh seedless grapes with a BabyBel lite cheese wheel and some of those Keebler wheatables nut crisp pecan crackers... depending on the number of crackers, it's a great snack for between 125-150 calories! You can do this! Be creative, and remember to save some of your total daily allowance (calories) for your night snack and your "problem" will no longer be a problem at all.
  • delilah47
    Options
    Let me begin by saying I am n the same boat as you, and I have always heard not to eat after 7:00. Well, if I don't eat before going to bed I can't sleep and end up eating more.. I allow enough calories for me to have a glass of milk and cookies before I turn in for the night. (I found an off brand where I could eat 6 cookies and a glass of milk for 250 calories. Now, that may not be the smartest move, but my scales are going down and if I don't need the calories I might as well enjoy something I like. I started MFP 1 week ago and could always use encouragement. We might help each other with our munching. If you need a new friend let me know. Judy

You got the idea! As long as your snack fits into your calorie plan, it doesn't matter when you eat it (or what you eat for that matter). Keep on.. and good luck!
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same issue. I'm also a single mother and I'll do awesome all day with my meal planning and then night-time hits and I just want chocolate and whatever else I can get my hands on- which unfortunately is many snack foods because I have 3 little boys under age 6! lol I've been trying to just keep myself busy and when I think about eating, I remember a few quotes that get me thinking....

"I am better than the food. I don't need it."

"Am I actually hungry?" I stop and think. Sometimes this still won't stop a binge...

"Don't let a moment a weakness turn into a moment of regret."

Good luck!!
  • delilah47
    Options
    zebramama

Oh, and by the way, when you get your sugar levels down, you won't crave them as much. You eat sugar, the sugar starts wearing off and your body thinks it has to have more. If you don't eat a lot of sugar, your body says.. "well, that's not so bad; I really don't need all that sugar to be happy!".. no more cravings! :bigsmile:
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've noticed some people here have been suggesting fruits or yogurts or milk for late night snacks but those are loaded with sugar and the last thing you want to do (aside from having caffeine) is filling yourself with snacks high in sugars because those will make you want to eat more. I'd suggest low-sugar snacks, and if you drink water with say popcorn or plain, dry whole grain cheerios, they'll soak up the water and make you feel fuller that way so that you won't want to eat more. Also, spiking your blood glucose levels late at night isn't a good thing - preventing diabetes is something I'm personally concerned about for myself and I think most people would generally like to avoid it as well.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you are eating just to eat then find something with minimal calories to stay occupied with. Sugar free jello, dill pickles, non starchy veggies with greek yogurt dip. If you are hungry then maybe you need something higher in fat like nuts or cheese.

There is nothing wrong with eating often. I eat about 6 times a day. Breakfast at 6 or 7 with loads of veggies and an egg. Mid-morning snack is often toast or half an apple, lunch is veggies and meat sometimes with a piece of bread, afternoon is either fruit, bread or milk depending what I've eaten earlier, dinner is veggies and meat, and bedtime snack is nuts or cheese. I consume 1200-1400 cals a day and try to keep my carbs down to about 60 since I'm diabetic and have had some not so great blood sugars lately. If I'm wanting to eat between all these meals I grab a dill pickle or jello or a few pieces of veggies. If you don't need to restrict carbs air popped popcorn is pretty low cal, rice cakes too.

I also occupy myself with herbal tea and make sure to drink plenty of water. I drink almost no diet soda but you could do that too.

It takes a while to retrain your mouth to enjoy new foods. If you are used to eating lots of refined carbs and insta foods low cal, fresh foods are going to be not as good to you for a while. Forge ahead and you will find you begin to enjoy them a lot more. For instance, my whole life I have not been a big celery eater. I am learning to embrace it quite a bit more and will nibble on a few pieces between meals.