Multi-vitamin side effects

Options
2»

Replies

• islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments, at least I know I'm not alone. I do my best to get everything from food, but I worry about b12 and iron (i'm vegetarian) so I just got a b-complex yesterday I'll try out instead.
    The multi I tried taking recently does have iron in it.
    I always take it with food, after I finish my breakfast...doesn't help.
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Why is testing important? How will that affect you? Or point to the quality?
    [/quote]

The main reason it is important is because it ensures you're getting what is on the label, nothing more and nothing less. Then you know you're getting what you expect to be and not just a bunch of fillers. I've also heard stories of people buying a Calcium + Vitamin D supplement that had WAY more Vitamin D than the label claimed, which resulted in a build of a Vitamin D to almost toxic levels.

Another reason is to be sure the raw ingredients used aren't from potentially harmful sources. For example, the gelatin used in most capsule coatings comes from either beef or pork. The testing will make sure the gelatin from beef isn't infected with mad cow disease. There is also the problem with high mercury levels in fish oils. Testing the products along the proper guidelines prevents things that like from making its way into your body and building up.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have done my research on what I take and my sister in law a nurse practitioner that referred me to these supplements has spoken with with the scientist that is behind creating the supplements. My 9 year old takes supplements to help with his ADHD and is now off his meds, trust me before he took it I looked in to it.

Very good info for those that just buy something and put in their mouth because it is suppose to be good for you.
  • HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I always take my multi's at lunch - stash them in my desk drawer- that way I usually have some more food in my system and not drinking coffee with them - or shortly after.
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    bump! Want to read up on later!
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Definitely take them with food - I don't take a multi, but I take many separate supplements (naturopath prescribed). I then follow with a cup of peppermint tea.

I thought my naturopath was joking that waiting too long after eating would equal throwing up... how wrong I was! Zinc is the queasy culprit for me.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The only time I've puked is when I took an Animal Pack (has like 5-6 pills) on an empty stomach...boy did I learn my lesson lol.

If you're pee starts glowing a neon yellow, your multi-vitamin is too strong.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The short answer: experiment. Who knows why something makes any one person nauseous? There certainly are differences in how vitamins are made, but even a perfect quality vitamin will make a few people ill.

In that vein, I would echo the folks who say maybe to supplement with a few things you think you might need, rather than a multivitamin. They do make "bundled" vitamins with 2 or 3 vitamins and minerals instead of trying to squeeze a dozen into one pill. Most of us don't need to supplement with multiple vitamins, but alot of us tend to be low in a few specific things (calcium, vitamin D, iron for menstruating women). If nothing else, it would make it easier to figure out if there is one vitamin or mineral that you have trouble tolerating.