Replacing peanut butter... ideas?

Replies

• myaldog
    myaldog Posts: 4 Member
    I have also found PB2 at Dierbergs (a higher end grocery store here in the Midwest)... so it pays to check around... What's funny is that the PB2 website doesn't list Dierbergs as a retail site... go figure!
  • thuitema84
    thuitema84 Posts: 27 Member
    Almond butter will always be a better substitute than peanut butter. I'm interested in this PB2 now...gonna check it out! (I too am guilty of wanting peanut butter and bananas...I try to steer clear because I know I won't portion control it)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Regular peanut butter is a binge trigger for me, so I rarely have it anymore. Blah, blah moderation yeah I know.... But that doesn't work with me and my beloved extra crunchy Jiff. So.... I'm going to also vote for pb2! Amazing product. Not exactly tue same, but pretty darn close for a tiny fraction of the calories. Only 3 ingredients too. Check the bellplantation.com site for a store locator first before you order it online, because many nutrition stores carry it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    If you get a peanut butter that is just peanuts, it is very healthy. Same goes for almond butter. Don't buy the cheapy brands as they pull off the peanut oil and replace it will cheaper, unhealthy oils.

I read the label on some PB2 and wasn't impressed. But them I'm trying to focus on eating real food (not just focused on calories, fat, etc.).
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    im def going to order some pb2!
  • angiebarker
    angiebarker Posts: 127
    walden farms is pretty good.
  • kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51
    One of my favs is having a caramel flavoured rice cake with cream cheese. Sounds odd but tastes like a cheesecake!:flowerforyou:
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Our nutritionist recommends the powdered peanut butter. Same flavor, none of the fat. Haven't tried it but she insists that it tastes the same. You just add water until it reaches the same consistency as peanut butter. Found with peanut butter in grocery stores.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I don't see where you need to stop eating peanut butter as long as it fits into your caloric intake. Peanut butter is a very healthy sourced fat and as been a mainstay on my weightloss every morning for the past 33 months.. I have 3 pieces of Brownberry toast with All Natural Crunchy Peanut butter and locally purchased Strawberry Jam, a cup of my favorite Keurig coffee and I glass of 1% MIlk... Managed to lose alittle weight doing this.... So don't think you have to sacrifice it... I have tried about every form of peanut butter and even though the PB2 (tried both) is pretty good, I stick to the real thing.... Good Luck....
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Fat isn't necessarily the enemy, too much of the wrong kinds of fat is! Rather than giving the stuff up, switch from the kind with hydrogenated oil to a natural brand. I use Adam's PB and the only ingredients are peanuts and salt. You do have to stir it because the peanut oil separates, but it isn't difficult to mix back in and Yum!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I vote for the PB2 as well. For those who ask why would you want to give it up because it has good fats. Well quite frankly I don't want to blow 180+ calories on 1 tiny spoonful of peanut butter .. that's why. :smile:
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    I love Better N Peanut butter and I get a jar of this at my local Trader Joe's in the peanut butter section. It tastes really good but is half the calories!

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    I used to eat my apples that way years ago, I tablespoon doesn't go a very long way on an apple. But it DOES go a long way on a sandwich thin or to make a half sandwich. PB & J is a good way to enjoy your peanut butter just one tbsp. at a time. Eat your apple plain. I have sweet/salty cravings too. They actually make a sweet/salty mix in those 100 calorie packs! :)
  • I also love peanut butter and it was hard to know when to stop. However, I found if i buy the new jiffy single serving i can take it with me and then i don't go overboard. I am losing weight and still enjoying my peanut butter on apples, celery. etc.. I know it would be better to buy the other stuff people have "said". But this single serving from Safeway, Fred Meyers (krogers) is like $2.99 and you get 8 single serving. Baby steps!! Before like you i was eating like 1 cup per apple lol Now i smear the peanut butter in my mouth then put the apple in this way you really get the peanut butter flavoring. Good luck!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    stick with the peanut butter - just make sure its an organic wholenut one. all these low-fat options are full of other crap and have a lower protein count.

i'm with you on the peanutbutter and apple - i try to just stick to a tablespoon :D
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Great answers- every one of them. Thank you!
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Here's a review I found when searching powdered PB a few weeks ago. I found Betty Lou's in my local grocery store so I got it and it's pretty good... not perfect for PB but I find if I mix it with a little greek yogurt it makes a yummy apple dip (saw that on a message board here so not my original idea) :-)

http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/09/powdered-peanut-butter-a-review-taste-test.html
  • jessica_johnson2011
    jessica_johnson2011 Posts: 61 Member
    Currently I'm in love with an apple cut into wedges and smearing it with peanut butter. Or I also like peanut butter on my rice cake. Even though I adore it, the cals/ fat is just too much of a wallop.

Any ideas of what to use as a sweet- salty snack rather than peanut butter?

I use PB2... cheapest place I've found to order it:
    http://www26.netrition.com/bell_plantation_pb2.html

507-0004
    Bell Plantation
    PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
    16 oz. bag
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons (12 g)
    Servings Per Container: 37

Amount
    Per Serving % Daily
    Value*

Total Calories 45

Calories From Fat 13

Total Fat 1.5 g 2%

Saturated Fat 0 g 0%

Trans Fat <.01 g

Cholesterol <.01 mg 0%

Sodium 94 mg 4%

Total Carbohydrates 5 g 2%

Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%

Sugars 1 g

Show Net Carbs

Protein 5 g

Vitamin A <1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    I have a really, really hard time controlling peanut butter. I literally cannot keep it in the house or I'll eat the whole jar! I've found one of the best things is %12 peanut flour (like PB2, but with no added ingredients). Just mix some peanut flour with water (or pumpkin, yum!) and add a little sweetener of choice. You can make it as think of thin as you like! It's certainly not as delicious as real PB, but it stops me from going overboard. It's great with Greek yogurt, bananas or oatmeal :smile:
  • lizzie217
    lizzie217 Posts: 2 Member
    I love Better N Peanut butter and I get a jar of this at my local Trader Joe's in the peanut butter section. It tastes really good but is half the calories!

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php

This!!