Replacing peanut butter... ideas?

Replies

• kileemae
    kileemae Posts: 9 Member
    I just started using PB2 because I couldn't imagine not having PB in my diet! It was definitely a great purchase even if it was a little bit expensive. Also, I've tried adding it to my Herbalife shakes and it works pretty well :)
  • slimeric200
    slimeric200 Posts: 3 Member
    They sell a peanut butter in powder form that has a lot of the calories taken out. You add water to it and it's peanut butter. Get it at Whole Foods or health food store.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Peanutty Spread

9 oz tofu
    1/3 cup peanut butter
    4 tsp. honey
    2 tsp lime juice (*I use lemon juice and you can't tell the difference)
    **add a little water if it's too thick**
  • danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    Fat is a necessary part of every diet. Nut fats are particularly healthy.

I'm all about Adam's crunchy and fresh ground Almond butter.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    I started using almond or cashew butter. I find I use a lot less and it's healther. It's a little pricy and not as creamy though.

Sometimes you just have to have the real thing. There are a lot worse things you could eat than peanut butter and apples.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Currently I'm in love with an apple cut into wedges and smearing it with peanut butter. Or I also like peanut butter on my rice cake. Even though I adore it, the cals/ fat is just too much of a wallop.

Any ideas of what to use as a sweet- salty snack rather than peanut butter?

Have you tried PB2? Tastes just like the peanut butter you love, but without the fat/calories. A two tablespoon serving has 45 calories, 1g fat but 4g protein!
  • FitLink
    They sell a peanut butter in powder form that has a lot of the calories taken out. You add water to it and it's peanut butter. Get it at Whole Foods or health food store.

PB2.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    cashew butter is also amazing!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    I'm no help. I like peanut butter. I have PB with apple slices for my mid-morning snack. I have 1 Tbsp. It's so flavorful that I don't need much or it will drown out the apple.

The PB I buy breaks down like this for 2 TBSP:
    190 cals / 3 g sat fat (I prefer to avg 2.5 or less per serving of anything I eat)
    Remaining fats are PUSAs/MUSAs, which I understand are supposed to be the good fats
    3 g sugar

I looked at the label for a natural PB on the same shelf and it was not significantly different in Sat Fats or Cals, so I stick with the basic.
  • FitLink
    I have a really, really hard time controlling peanut butter. I literally cannot keep it in the house or I'll eat the whole jar! I've found one of the best things is %12 peanut flour (like PB2, but with no added ingredients). Just mix some peanut flour with water (or pumpkin, yum!) and add a little sweetener of choice. You can make it as think of thin as you like! It's certainly not as delicious as real PB, but it stops me from going overboard. It's great with Greek yogurt, bananas or oatmeal :smile:

PB2 doesn't have a bunch of "added ingredients." It contains just peanuts and salt, and very little salt as a 2 TBS serving has just 70mg. You're talking about adding as many ingredients to your peanut flour. PB2 has fewer calories than peanut flour. Better still, I DO find PB2 as delicious as real peanut butter!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    PB is god gift to humans. Not eating it, is like slapping god in the face.

Just a few in the ole arsenal...
    pbproblem-1.jpg
  • slenderwoman
    slenderwoman Posts: 31 Member
    I myself love Nutella!! :happy:
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    OK. I'm swooning over the PB collection. Yum!!!:smooched:
  • MummyDB
    MummyDB Posts: 106 Member
    I buy mango butter or apple honey for my rice cakes. I get it at Trader Joes.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Lol. Lots of replies and suggestions.
    My 2 cents, how about mixing sunflower seed butter into the peanut nutter? Yes..it is very good.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    PB is god gift to humans. Not eating it, is like slapping god in the face.

Just a few in the ole arsenal...
    pbproblem-1.jpg

I buy Smuckers Natural. Its not sweet like regular peanut butter but pair it with a small banana and a whole wheat tortilla and I am happy. My kids even like it!
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    If I went married I'd marry the man with the peanut butter collection :love:
  • Oh. My. God.

I'm trying to up my calories to a healthy level and discovered apple and peanut butter because of this thread.

You are my hero!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Anyone want to send some PB2 to Australia?? :happy:

I tried on Amazon to see what postage would cost and they won't send it here...
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    my nutritional plan includes peanut butter. I have it with celery sticks. Some days I get a tablespoon, other days I can carry the tub around and dip and eat to my hearts content. I've lost 17 inches in the last 3 weeks, so I'm not overly concerned about the high fats, more pleased that the high protein and nutritional values are so beneficial.